The Cheat Sheet

Advice for Apply Fics

Okay, so in every start of a successful apply fic, there is always the ‘cheatsheet’ as we call it. Why do we call it a cheatsheet? Because it’s somehow like cheat sheets that mischievous students have to get the right answers. In apply fics, cheat sheets help you while filling app the apply form. So, here are some of the explanations and help for you guys when making a cheat sheet.

 

“Kim Shin Yeong, Do Hwe Ji and Pony are not allowed!”

 

Wait a moment. Wait a second and take a step back. So, you’re basically telling the applicants to not use them for appearances just because you think they’re cliché? Well mister or miss, you might want a long waiting time in the dunce chair. When you tell them they’re not allowed to be used, you are depriving them of their right to choose their appearance. You shouldn’t deprive them of that, because it’s their choice. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so if you think Kim Shin Yeong is too cliché or too cute, to others, it isn’t. So please, if you’re planning to put this, don’t. You’ll just drive away your future applicants.

 

“Quality over Quantity!”

 

Yes. Quality over quantity is actually more preferred than apply fics with novel-like paragraphs. When I was going through the applicants forms, I was a bit shocked that a lot of people wrote a lot of paragraphs that hurt my eyes. Readers, authors don’t really read everything the applicant wrote especially if it’s long. It’s better if you bold the key traits and explain them in three to five sentences. The author will be thanking you nonstop, and they will most probably pick you because you actually did quality over quantity.

 

“Please pick a position!”

 

Picking a position is very important, and if you think it’s not, re-think again. If you pick a position, balance the position you want, and the position you think you can get easily. Example, if the author got Main Rapper and Dancer, and everyone applied as Lead Rapper and Main Dancer (because it’s a fierce group) try going for the Main Vocal or Lead Vocal. Why? Because in a fierce group, most of the applicants will have badass and tomboy characters that will rap over sing. So, if you think there are too many rappers, join the singers or be the first singer. Every author would love that.

 

“Never change the layout!”

 

Please at least follow this rule. Never change the layout of the app form. Why? It will not just annoy the author, but whoever coded it as well. If you’re a layout coder, you will feel how hard it is to code a layout and see it copied and paste by someone else. There’s this thing called a Source Code. Use it. If you’re a new applicant, try to follow every rule you see, especially the rule of not changing the layout. If the font is too small, then enlarge it first while you type, but then put it back to its original font size while you’re done. It’s that simple. The author would be grateful and probably think that you’re a potential applicant to get in.

 

“Don’t be cliché!”

 

Every author struggles with not making a Mary Sue. And maybe that’s why they made apply fics, to see if people have other ideas of characters not being a Mary Sue. So guys, don’t get mad if an author calls your character too perfect. Sure, you’ll be offended because somehow, the character is based off something from you. She or he’s just telling you that you have lot qualities and not enough flaws. Don’t argue with the author unless you’re really sure your character isn’t cliché. The author has a unbiased opinion, so he or she is the best judge for your character. Take his or her advices and try to work on your character more.