Chapter One

Kim Jongin

KIMJONGIN

Chapter One

I wake up from the slumber I was in when I heard the voice over the intercom of the plane. I looked out the window and saw the city of Seoul, a place that used to be home to me. After all these years, it will be home once again. The plane lands everyone files out. My eyes shift from the exit to the screen of my iPhone, a message from uncle. After reading it, I get up to leave. Finding my luggage takes a good amount of time, when I do get my luggage, I remember the address my uncle told me. He tells me I’ll be living in a penthouse in the middle of Seoul. I get to the penthouse and drop my luggage in my room. Everything else that is mine was already brought here. Walking around, I notice how big the penthouse is. Is this place really all to myself?

After taking a little tour, I go back into my room and take out the things from my bag. A fake ID stating that I’m twenty-four, credit cards and an iPad with all the information I’ll need about the man who killed my parents. I’m sitting there in peace when I hear the front door slam and some footsteps. They’re too light to be a guy, it’s probably a girl. I grab a gun either way and point it in front of me as I walk.

I soon see who it is; it’s a woman who’s probably in her mid forties. She gasps and puts her hands up. “W-What are you doing?”

I put my gun down and eye her from head to toe; she’s shorter than me and has a small frame. “I live here.”

“You do?” She looks at me like I have six heads.

“Kim Jongin.” I introduce myself.

“Ah, the nephew of Kim Jinsoo. He tells me you’ll be doing work in Seoul?” The woman questions.

I nod. “Who are you?”

“I’m the servant of Kwon Minah. I look after her now…My name’s Yeun.” Yeun bows. I quickly bow back to her. “Say…where are Minah’s parents?”

Yeun sighs. “Her father passed away thirteen years ago and her mother’s in a coma. It’s been that way for years now. I’m pretty much her guardian.” She explains.

“How did her father die?” I ask.

“Don’t you think that’s too personal?” She hesitates to tell me how.

“It might relate to why I’m here.”

“He was murdered by a group of men. The men targeted both her mother and father, although her mother made it out alive, the injuries she had severely damaged her organs. Her mother had cancer, she was cured but all the chemo therapy and radiation killed her organs and stopped them from functioning. She’s been in a coma for a while now.” Yeun sighs. “The doctors don’t even know why Minah is so against letting her mother pass, she’s barely alive and is hooked up to dozens of machines just to help her breathe. That girl still has hope you know? Although the doctors are positive her mother was zero percent of surviving.”    

I nodded with my face blank; I don’t know what to say. What if Minah’s father was killed by the same people who killed my parents? They would need to have a reason.

The group of men who killed my parents had a reason. My father was one of the most successful business men of Korea. The head of the group of men whose name I still don’t know was rivals with my father all throughout high school and college. Many people were envious of my father, he was said to be successful without having to do much. This was because of the companies and offers he inherited from his already blossoming family. The family from my father’s side had tons of companies. That wasn’t it; my mother was considered a beauty back in the day. She once told me that she was Miss. Korea when she was seventeen. Apparently being rich, beautiful, smart and successful was hard to find and my father had it all with my mother. No one thought it was fair; my father got what he wanted and was rich yet he didn’t do much. Many people rivaled him and believed he didn’t deserve a life like this.

The head of the group who was rivals with my father also had a family company. The thing was, he was right under my father. He thought it was ridiculous how everyone in his family including him had to work so hard to get to where they were whereas my father “didn’t do ”. He gathered all of his closest friends, he gathered sixteen people who hated my father’s guts and broke into my house. Little did he know, killing my parents wouldn’t make the company die out. It only made it stronger. My uncle inherited the company and managed it in Thailand, the sixteen men thought the Kim family was dead and still is wondering to this day, whose managing the company.

I only have seven years to get rid of all sixteen men; the company will be passed onto me when I turned twenty five. However, that’s only if I make it out alive during this. My uncle told me that if the men find out I’m part of the Kim family, I’ll be the one they’re after.

I snap out of my train of thought when I hear the door slam, Yeun went out and I’m again alone in this house.

______________________________

            It’s not before long when I hear the door open again. A good around of time passes before I hear footsteps fill the halls. I’m in my room setting up computers and software when I hear all the noise. This time, it’s Minah.

I step out of my room just to see a girl soaked from head to toe, looking at the time; I realize I’ve been in my room for hours. It’s now eleven at night and it’s raining outside. Minah walks into her room oblivious to the fact that I’m here. She’s eighteen like me, what is she doing out so lately? I step out of my room and stand by her door. Resting my head on the door’s frame, I watch her check her phone. She sighs and stares at the calendar hanging on her wall; she takes a marker and crosses out today’s date. Today’s date has an unhappy face on it. Minah finally takes off her jacket and plops it on the floor. She turns around and gasps at me. “Ah…” Minah eyes me from head to toe. “What are you doing…Who are you?”

“Kim Jongin.” 


Author's note: Hope you all enjoyed chapter one :) Please leave a comment!