[INTERVIEW] POP MAGAZINE 570TH ISSUE

EXO-TODAY! 2013
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

POP: Firstly, congratulations on ‘Wolf and a Beauty’ winning first place! The sales for your first official album are completely daebak!

EXO: Oh Wah Oh~ Thank you (currently applauding clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap)!

 

 

POP: Next up, the promotions for your follow up track are soon about to begin. ‘Growl’ has given many people the feeling that it will be a huge success, it sounds really good. We really want to know, what do you think is the biggest killer (T/N: what they think is most powerful and affects the fans the most)?

SUHO: (looks at LUHAN) Say it.

LUHAN: (blurts out Korean) Rather than saying that it is killer, why don’t we say that it is the charms of our follow up track?
 

 

POP: You can explain it that way as well.

LUHAN: Mm, I feel that we are rather confident in terms of it being fresh and appealing; what we must say is that ‘Growl’ has a melody that is unusually addictive. After listening to it once, you will be able to sing it, right? (Xiao Dang nods) In our previous album, there were many songs with different genres, but this song is different from them all. When we first heard it, we liked it a lot, and got captivated by it.

BAEKHYUN: (To Xiao Dang’s recorder: I am Bo Xian) With ‘Growl’ we acknowledge the melody and lyrics. Be it the recording or dance practices, we enjoyed it very much. The choreography this time has been matched with unique dance moves, using a lot of crotch and waist, but it will give fans a brand new feel, and will give the masses a different kind of impact visually.

LAY: I’d like to add on that this song has a very different style from the previous ones we’ve shown. When it comes out, you’ll know - its beat is very clean, and the melody easy on the ear. It is easy to get addicted to the chorus, and as a whole, this song gives a laid-back feel. You can say it’s y yet cool; it’s very fresh.

 

 

POP: Actually, both ‘Wolf’ and ‘Growl’ emphasise dominance. ‘Growl’ kind of gives off a, ‘don’t touch my woman’ tone. In the lyrics, there are many suggestions and lots of iness. When you guys were digesting these lyrics, did you not feel shy or anything?

SUHO: This … actually, the lyrics are quite meaningful, no? It’s not something particularly targeted at a certain audience, it’s not just for older people, younger people, or people of the same age … The lyrics are something that is not hard for everyone to digest, so when we sing it it’s even more natural, not too hard to deal with.

TAO: Didn’t you talk about the feeling just now, it’s something that can only be felt.

LUHAN: Hahaha it’s not as complicated as what he said. Actually, with our first official album, what we wanted to showcase is our growth during this period of time. I think that one of the points of our growth is being able to express lyrics that take on a more mature perspective.

LAY: Our songs previously had a lot of romantic lyrics to do with fairy tales and fantasies. The lyrics now are starting to emphasise a more mature feeling. It’s more realistic, and it’s able to reflect on our growth.

 

 

POP: Because ‘Wolf’ sold really well, has it created pressure for your activities with your follow up track ‘Growl’?

KRIS: It’s only with pressure that there is motivation. ‘Growl’ has opened up a brand new side of the members; we cannot wait to show these differences, we cannot wait to start the performances for ‘Growl’. ‘Wolf’’s results have urged us not to be burnt out but to continue moving forward. Of course, we do hope that ‘Growl’ can have good results too. Up till now, it is most regretful that this year we haven’t been able to show brand new stages to the fans in China as we have in Korea, but the fans still spare no effort in supporting us. We have no reason not to continue working hard, to make up for what is lacking.

 

 

POP: So the y feeling and melody has been matched with an equally y dance. In the moves, what draws people’s attention is that you’ve maintained neatness like that of sharp-as-a-knife dances, while simultaneously there’s a freestyle feel. What is the point (T/N as in the focus) of this choreography?

KAI: Actually this song uses hip hop as a base, so regardless of the song itself or the dance moves it all emphasises rhythm. You can see lots of our movements that have ‘strength’. But it is different from the magnificent charisma with a musical-like atmosphere in ‘Wolf’; because of ‘Growl’’s street style, it further emphasises personality and an easygoing demeanour.

 

 

POP: Speaking of dance movements with personality, ‘Growl’’s choreography gives people the feeling of breathless handsomeness. Why don’t the main dancer line talk about this?

LAY: (Looks at KAI, the latter hand signals to him, ‘please do it instead’) After looking at the dance you would be able to tell that compared to the ‘strength’ from last time, this song’s dance focuses on ‘feeling’. Other than guaranteeing a neat sharp-as-knife dance, we have also specially designed many details. (Dang: Caps!) Hahaha yes yes, that is one of the details. When choreographing, the choreographer required us to dance out the mature feel that was mixed into the lyrics. Some movements are very daring and rather challenging, but I feel the members have executed it very well.

 

 

POP: In the dance, the crotch moves are very daring, but the waist moves are actually very dangerous, the floor moves are not any less than those in ‘Wolf’. On a whole, it is very challenging – was anyone unable to complete it?

CHANYEOL: (Realises that Xiao Dang kept looking at him while asking this question) ^皿^ It was indeed very hard while we were practicing, but because we had to care about the entire group, no one could escape. Everyone had to dance the entire choreography excellently for it to be okay.

KRIS: We still hope that everyone will have lots of anticipation for the stages of our follow up track.

SUHO: The members completed it very well. During the group dance part, I too felt that it was ‘very handsome’.

CHEN: You can say that we’ve discovered an entirely new look for the members on stage, and it has raised the level of completeness to the song.

 

 

POP: The follow up track has particularly revealed everyone’s manly beauty. The lines from everyone’s arm muscles are very striking. In the past, we already knew that XIUMIN’s arm muscles are very impressive, so this time, did everyone do special training?

XIUMIN: (after having his name mentioned, gets a little terrified) Ah, yes, thank you.

LUHAN: Before our comeback with the first album, everyone all paid particular attention to managing their own bodies, although it did not reach the extent of us heading to the gym. But everyone did do a lot of exercise, riding bicycles, playing basketball and so on. Furthermore, because of our training and daily schedules, we are required to dance a lot every day – actually the dance this time helps in creating muscles and lines. So, this is the result that everyone is seeing now.

Equal emphasis on wisdom and chastity
The manager is very nervous

“What happens if you’re showering and suddenly the water stops?” “What happens if you go up to the wrong person, but end up getting hit on?” “What kind of shocking things will you do to get back your girlfriend whose heart has drifted away?” “What will you do when you borrow another member’s laptop and see things that you weren’t supposed to see?” During questions like these

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter