Slappin' Faces.

Café of Gay.

604 words.

 

“So...” Kai very smoothly slides over onto the chair next to the sniffling boy. His eyes sweep the table once for any signs of cartoon rods and he’s satisfied to realise that he had done the vandalising in permanent marker on another table.

 

The guy looks up at Kai with watery eyes and Kai’s suddenly struck by how adorable he is, with rosy cheeks and a red nose, and lips swollen from him biting on them subconsciously.

 

“Yes?” He wipes his cheeks with the oversized sleeve of his jacket already damp with rainwater and tears.

 

Kai’s mind goes blank for a second and his gaze darts over to Tao, who’s hiding behind the display glass for the cakes smiling widely and giving him exaggerated thumb ups.

 

“Uh...” Kai looks back to the other boy. He’s now fiddling with the glass handle of the cup, staring at a suspicious smudge right in front of him. Wisps of clouds rise from his hot tea, dissipating in the air. The light situated above them flickers, then blinks out, leaving them sitting in a romantic kind of semi-darkness.

 

Kai glares over at the light switch and is hardly surprised to find Tao beside it, finger still on the switch. He doesn’t look the least bit guilty, sending enthusiastic fist punches and inappropriate finger signs his way.

 

The boy lifts the cup up to his lips, taking a small sip and flinching at the bitter taste. He looks up through his bangs at Kai and frowns a little.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Uh...you...you have a nice .” Kai stutters without thinking.

 

A resounding crack resonates throughout the quiet café the same time as a chair is dragged back with a brief, guttural screech. Kai’s head is thrown harshly to the side by the rough slap from the small guy who, just seconds ago, looked so helpless and weak.

 

“You- you-“ He pants, an angry red flush spreading from his cheeks down half his neck. He looks over the handprint already starting to form on Kai’s cheek. It’s bone-white from the initial impact, all the blood forced out of the area, then the blood starts to rush in, turning it into an unsightly mess on an otherwise perfect face.

 

The cup of black tea is on its side, tea dripping over the edge of the table onto Kai’s pants.

 

There’s a small pause, a rustle of clothes, and by the time Kai musters up enough courage to turn around, the guy is gone.

 

Scandalous.” Tao whispers from his corner, far away.

 

Kai frowns and slaps himself on the other cheek. Idiot.

 

He can feel his heart beating along the handprint, pain smarting across the imprint. Gingerly, he runs his fingertips over the hurting areas. He winces every now and then as some parts of the print starts to go purple.

 

“I think he broke the skin.” Kai groans to nobody in particular. “I’m a ing idiot.”

 

“Yes you are I totally agree Kai for President whoo.” Tao claps once and fist pumps the air.

 

Kai smashes his forehead down onto the table a couple of times until it nearly equals the pain in his cheek.

 

When he’s satisfied, he rests the side of his face against the cool glass of the table and looks outside with a pout.

 

Two silhouettes pass, one a towering male more than half a head taller than Tao. The other is unrecognisable, but the way they act in the few seconds they take to walk past remind Kai very much of a particular gay couple everyone wants but no one gets except for each other.

 

Scandalous indeed.

************

whoowee what's happening here good lord i need to plan this out properly soon ((the pacing for this is atrocious im so sorry i wrote this half asleep orz))

thank you all so much for subscribing and commenting!

also thanks to onewaddikt, ilykpop, chenzi, battleroyal, Chanmyeon, and leonagoh97 for upvoting ! :D

adios im gonna sleep