A typical day. (prologue)

Café of Gay.

Warning: Mentions of .

Kaitao; 405 words.

 

“Haha. Hey, Tao, look. I drew a happy .” Kai’s marker squeaks across the fluorescent LED-lighted mini-menu board on the counter. He grins, a maniacal widening of the lips, and proudly holds up the board , which is lined with sentences that are partially erased in the middle to make space for the crude, rather tiny, long u-shape and two circles. Tao looks up at the pathetic drawing from his position on the counter, splayed out everywhere, and sighs.

 

“Kai.”

 

“Isn’t it great! Looks just like you!”

 

“Kai.”

 

“I’m gonna frame it up it’s-“

 

“Kai.”

 

“A work of art. Just like my .”

 

“Kai.” Tao mumbles angrily for a last time and drifts off into dreamland. Kai coos over his drawing for another few minutes until he realises Tao is asleep. He then pouts for five more and rearranges their stock of coffee beans by colour and cakes by size, sneaking an oreo one on the way.

 

Business is especially slow, but that’s hardly surprising, since the only people who actually patronize them are that hipster couple who only take pictures of their food and Kai and Tao’s friends sometimes. And the manager. Kai still can't wrap his head around the fact that the whole café is a petty little side project set up for fun.

 

Ah, but whatever. They get paid, and that’s enough.

 

Kai glances down from where he’s leaning on the counter and giggles when he sees that Tao’s drooling onto his closed laptop. He whips out his jewel-embellished iphone and snaps an artistic picture to upload onto instagram.

 

“#no filter #nomakeup #hipster #love #funny #sky #blue #drool #friend #gross #atworklol @pandataoxoxo.”

 

Kai eagerly slaps on multiple filters until nearly everything is whitened-out and undistinguishable, then posts it with a grand flourish of his thumb.

 

Somewhere in one of Tao’s pockets, his phone buzzes, informing him of a new notification from instagram.

 

Kai cackles greedily as the likes and comments start to roll in.

 

‘omg!1! so cute!!! and funny lol’

‘haha ur so mean!!’

‘wow,,. sleepin on teh job? :3 your so bad lol im kidding :*’

 

Kai’s ego blows up like an atomic bomb and he puffs his chest out a little. He’s well into replying when the little bronze bell installed into the door frame jingles and a customer walks in. Kai looks up. It’s the hipster couple, come to take pictures of their coffee and cakes again.

 

Replying will have to wait.

 

************

i don't even know anymore

what am i doing