A Day like No Other

Forbidden Love

Your POV

“What do you mean part of the Ski family line?”

“He’s from Ski’s brother family line or at least some part of it. His family hunts people like us and kills them.”

“That doesn’t mean that he does that. I smelled his soul and it’s not tainted by such a thing. It’s not tainted at all.”

My mother smiles at me as her hand shifts through my hair, “You are a true alpha and a true heir of the Ari line.”

“True alpha?”

“Now is not the time for me to explain with that human in this house.”

I roll my eyes as I walk back into the kitchen, “So Suho… What do you want to do today?”

“I was hoping you’d like to go on a hike with me today.”

I smile, “I’d like that if Jada could come with us.”

“Sure of course Jada can,” he says looking at the 1 of the newest member of my pack.

I smile at him as Jada looks at me and I know she wants to know what’s wrong.

As Suho stands up he walks over to the small backpack and something foul smelling falls out of it.

I go to pick it up and it burns my fingers.

I hide it as I stand up quickly to hide that I went to pick it up, “What is that?”

Suho picks it up and looks confused, “I’m not sure… Some kind of flower.”

I look closely at the flower in his hand without breathing, “Wolfsbane. I’m allergic to that kind of pollen.”

He gasps as he throws it into a small bag in his bag and he seals it off.

I take a deep breath and hope that my eyes didn’t glow.

“Why do you have wolfsbane in your bag?”

“My uncle keeps shoving it into my bag. My mom keeps telling me to ignore it, but it’s a bit awkward to have flowers fall from your bag.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, my mom doesn’t seem to like the things that he pulls.”

“So Mr. Kim why did you want to go hiking?”

“I was hoping to see some wolves.”

“We don’t have many wolves in these parts, though.”

“I know that’s why I wanted to see if one I helped a bit ago is alright.”

 

It didn’t take us long to get far in the woods especially with my knowledge of them and Jada and my heightened senses.

We reach the top and I look around and I can’t smell any wolves whether they are in my pack or of natural animal being.

“There’s something wrong,” I tell them and Jada knows what I mean.

Joonmyun looks at me and asks, “Where are all the wolves? No scratch that. Where are all the animals in general?”

I look around and sniff at the air out of force of habit, “Something scared them from their home.”

“Like what?”

“They must have sensed something in the air.”

I take in a deep breath through my nose and I smell it, “It’s a small fire that started that way,” I point towards where it is.

“We have to put it out,” Suho says quickly.

“Are you insane or do you just have a death wish?”

“This isn’t just their home but part of ours. If we let it burn down what kind of damage will it leave not just to the land but to the people that live around it.”

I smile as I sigh, “Fine.”

I look around us and find what I’m looking for.

I scrap off a bunch of moss and smile, “This should do for now.”

“What?”

“This moss stays moist even in the highest of heats we just have to hope the fire is small enough. Suho can you call the fire in if it’s so big.”

We run through the woods both Jada and I are running a lot faster than Suho. I’m ahead of them both cause of my speed and knowledge of the woods from years of running free in them.

When I come upon the fire I scream, “Suho call the fire in!”

 

It’s a good 2 hours until the fire is put out and Jada, Suho, and I are sitting in an ambulance as the EMT checks us over.

“Let’s never do that again,” I tell them mostly looking towards Suho.

“Hey, you’re the one who ran ahead of us. Truthfully if it wasn’t for you I’m sure we wouldn’t have known and died.”

I nod my head slowly as I look over at him, “Suho, go home. I’ll talk to you in school tomorrow.”

I stand up to go and call over my shoulder, “Jada, let’s head out before my mother worries.”

When I reach home with Jada and Suho I get Suho his bag and lead him to the door.

“I’ll talk to you later then,” he more so asks.

I nod my head, “yea.”

It’s silent and I look back at Jada who seems to be disapproving something.

“What?”

“Why treat him like that? Why all of a sudden after joking and being happy almost all day?”

“I almost got you 2 killed.”

“You saved all our lives. If the fire went unnoticed any longer it would have killed people and was anyone hurt?”

I shake my head and she nods her head, “see it’s not all that bad.”

I chuckle as my mother comes down the stairs and throws a book at me which I dodge and then catch.

“What the hell?”

“Are you insane? You run up to a forest fire you just went through the alpha ceremony.”

I scuff, “Yeah, like you really care about that.”

“Excuse me,” she challenges me.

I can’t help but to let my eyes flash at her, “Who’s the one that has never tried to teach me a thing about being a wolf after father died? I still have a lot to learn and I’m doing it on my own. So mother if you will please just leave me be before you get hurt.” I look at the book to see it was father’s notebook and it was addressed to me, “Thanks mother. I’m heading up to my room so leave me alone for rest of the day and night.”

When I reach my room I go to lock it and remember that I’m sharing it with Jada for the next month or so.

I lean on my bed until I hear the door open. I look up to see that it’s Jungsik and for once he looks sober for the first time in the last year.

“What do you need?”

“So mom told you that you’re from the Ari line.”

I nod my head as I look at the ceiling, “I’m not even sure what the heck that’s supposed to mean.”

“It means you’re from the line that is a direct descendant of Ari… Though she loved Ski their love in that life was not meant to be. You mean how he actually died instead of the story that dad always told me.”

“Yeah, cause you see it would have worked if it was night time and the moon was shining on them, but they didn’t’ know that. No one has been successful in turning a human into a wolf like us. Ari was the only person who was close enough cause of her love for the human.”

“So the descendants of Ski are from his brother?”

Jungsik nods his head, “Yes, but only a few actually hunt our kind. Most of the family has ignored where they came from and picked to live as regular humans.”

I look at my brother and smile, “Are you still upset at not being my real brother?”

He shakes his head, “No, I’m upset at how mother told me. Yelling at me the way she did. That’s why I didn’t’ start acting up completely until dad died. You may not be my biological family, but we were raised as family and to me you are my baby sister that I need to look after. I’m sorry that I’ve been acting up for the last year. I guess seeing you be happy with a human had to snap me out of it a bit especially after what I tried to pull the other day. I’m sorry he just smelled a lot like you.”

“He’s my human ward since he earned my favor when he helped me out from under an avalanche of rocks.”

My brother nods his head, “I bet your wondering what a true alpha is?”

“Yeah, it sounds like some bull from a  TV show. “

“I know right. Well a true alpha isn’t anything special just a wolf that’s born to rise in the ranks. They will lead their pack perfectly until they die much like dad was.”

“Jungsik, have you ever thought of finding yourself a mate?”

He nods his head as he plopped himself on my floor and laid there, “Of course I have. It’s just everyone sees me for what I’ve been like for the last few years. The girl that is my destined ran away because she afraid of me. I’m an idiot right?”

“Yup,” he looks up at me wounded causing me to explain myself, “You’re an idiot to realize that you have to change now. Brother really you just need to control your anger and pettiness.”

“Do you think she’ll ever come back?”

“I’m not sure I’m not a psychic wolf… If there is such a thing.”

He shrugs, “I’m not sure. Also sis why do you smell like a bonfire?”

“There was a forest fire when we went hiking.”

“What do you think happened?”

“Arson. Someone started that fire on purpose near our home. Do you think it could be someone from the Ski family line?”

“I’m not sure. All I can say is this is going to stay on the down low. Let the police and that figure out what’s happening then we figure out it’s connection to our world.”

I nod my head as I lay on my bed and look down at my brother, “This is just like when we were kids.”

“Yeah except I’d only be on the floor cause you’d push me off the bed.”

“Mai will come back Jungsik. I know she will it’s just a matter of time.”

He scuffs, “When that day comes remind to kiss your as many times as you like.”

I laugh as I smile up at my ceiling, ‘I’ll have to tell him the surprise later.’

“Just promise to be good from now on and work on your temper and drinking.”

“Yeah, I’ll remember that.”

I laugh as we spend another hour or 2 simply talking like we used to when I was a kid.