Chapter 8

The Neighbor's Fate

YURI’S POV

                I will wait for you here at the entrance.

                                                                                                -Yul

                I sent a text message to Sica.

                Her flight is today. She sent me a text message yesterday that she will start her vacation today here in Jeju. She said that her arrival will be at 2pm.

                I look at my watch. It is 1:58pm, just few more minutes to see her. I can’t wait any longer.
I miss her so much.

                1:59…

                2:00…

                2:01…

                2:02… Where is she?

                2:03…

                2:04… Someone taps my back.

                “Excuse me, are you Ms. Yuri?” a blonde lady covering her eyes behind those black sunglasses said.

                “Yes and you are?”

                “I’m Jessica, your best friend.” She removes her sunglasses and hugs me.

                “Yah! I didn’t recognize you. You’re blonde now but you’re still the fashionista I’ve knew. I thought you were some kind of a celebrity I’ve met. Why did you change the color of your hair? Is that what America does to people who study there? You also got thinner, what happened?”

                “Surprise? Stop imagining things Yul. Oh my gosh! I miss you so bad.” I didn’t notice that she’s still hugging me.

                “I miss you too Sica. It’s been so long but can you please let go of me for a while. I can’t breathe.”

                “I’m sorry.” She says happily.

                “How are you? You’ve changed.”

                “I just done some dyeing, a little diet and now I’m designing for a fashion photo shoot.”

                “You’re quite busy these days, aren’t you? We also didn’t have time for each other.”

                “I’m sorry Yul. New York is so busy so I also don’t have the time to be in touch with you. But I heard you are the one who choreographed the “I Got a Boy” of Girls’ Generation?”

                “Well, I just contributed some parts in that comeback.”

                “Wow! I love the choreography of I Got a Boy. Nice job Yul.”

                 “Thank you Sica. I think we have to go now. I will tour you around Jeju.” I invite.

 

                After driving around Jeju, Sica enjoys everything. Who wouldn’t be? This is the perfect place for peaceful vacation.

                “You’re right. I will not regret this; this vacation will be so great.” She says while admiring the view.

                “Well, anyone will say that. Let’s go home. Appa and the others are waiting for you.”

                As we arrive from home. Sica asks me.

                “Is this Wondangbuk village?” I nod.

                “This place is beautiful. My brother really has a nice taste.”

                “What? Your brother?” I question curiously.

                “Yes, Yul. He lives here.”

                 “What is the exact address?”

                “I don’t know. I want to surprise him so I didn’t ask the exact address but I think I will just bump into him in this small neighborhood.” She explains.

                “Alright. Let’s go inside. It’s time for dinner.”

                We enter the house and walks to the dining area. Suddenly, I heard Sica’s squeals.

                “Oppa!” She yells and hugs Yunho oppa.

                Yunho oppa? Brother of Sica? He is the nerdy oppa?

                “Sica! You’re here already? Why didn’t you inform me?” He hugs Sica back.

                “I want to surprise you but I didn’t expect to see you here.” She answers.

                “Oh, I’m sorry everyone. This is Jessica.” He introduces.

                “Hello everyone! I’m Jessica, Yunho’s oppa younger sister and Yul’s bestfriend.” She excitingly says.

                “You are the pig tail girl?” asks Yunho oppa.

                What’s with the pig tail girl? “And you are the nerdy oppa?” I ask.

                “Okay everyone. You may all seat down. I think Jessica is hungry.” Appa announces.

                “Thank you Uncle.” says Sica.

                We eat silently. I am shock from what just happened. I never thought that he would be the nerd oppa I met when Sica and I were in college. I didn’t recognize him as the brother of Sica. Well, it was just a glance on that day.

 

YUNHO’S POV

                I never thought that she would be the pig tail girl I met when they were in college. I didn’t recognize her as the best friend of Sica. Well, it was just a glance on the day that we met. I remember that afternoon; I pick up Sica from the university. I noticed that she was waiting for me at the gate with a girl. I stopped in front of them then Sica opens the door.

                “Oppa!” Sica squeals. She opens the door at the back and added, “Oppa, this is Yuri my best friend. Can we drive her home? Her boyfriend can’t pick her up today.”

                “Alright. Get inside.” She has a boyfriend? I thought she is so plain and boring.

                They were talking loudly at the back of my car.

                “What do you think about Minho? Why did he not pick you up today? He never missed a chance to get you.” Sica said.

                “I don’t know Sica. This month was tough for us.” Her best friend answered.

                “What do you think oppa is the reason?” Sica asked me.

                “I don’t know. Maybe he has someone else.” I coldly said.

                “Yah! My Minho was not that kind of man.” She shouted.

                “How long is your relationship already?”

                “6 months.”

                “You must prepare yourself to be single.”

                “Sica, I prefer to walk to my dorm than talk with your nerd brother.” She was so angry.

                “Are you sure?” Sica asked. I drifted the car beside the sidewalk and stop in front of a café. She left the car.

                “Yes. Take care. Good bye Sica.” She bid to my sister and went straight to the café.

                “Oppa, why did you do that? She really loves Minho.” Sica annoyingly said.

                “I’m just telling the truth Sica. I don’t know. I just sensed something about him.”

                “I also don’t know oppa. But you’re still harsh to her.”

 

                I didn’t thought that the Yuri I’ve knew four year ago will be Kwon Yuri, the girl that I’m falling in love with.

                “Oppa, were finish. Let’s go home, to your house.” Sica whispers.

                “Okay. Mr. Kwon we are going now. Good night everyone.” I bid.

                “Thank you everyone.” Sica added. She goes to Yul and hugs her. “See you tomorrow Yul.”

                “Bye Sica.” says Yuri.

 

                “Sica, sleep in my room. I will just sleep on the couch. My room is a bit messy; I didn’t clean it because I never thought you would arrive here today.” I say to Sica who was busy observing the house.

                “Wow! I never imagine that you will be this good oppa. You’re the best architect I’ve knew.” She exclaims.

                “Well, you’re my sister so I’m expecting that a little.”

                “Seriously oppa, your house is beautiful.”

                “Alright, so much for compliments, take a bath and go to sleep.”

                “Okay. Before I forget, where is Taepoong?”

                “He’s outside. He likes to sleep outside.”

                “Good thing that you brought him here. He is a good companion; it’s a sure thing that you have someone else here. Being alone is so boring.”

                “You’re right. Taepoong and I really get along well. Okay, goodnight Sica.”

                “Goodnight oppa.”

 

                I’m used to sleeping on the couch when someone stays at my condo in Seoul. I don’t want a huge unit; I didn’t build a guest room and have spacious place. I prefer to be alone except with my dog, he’s with me since the day he was born.

                As I lay here, I realize that this day will be the last time to think about Yuri. I never thought she has a boyfriend. Now that I remember her, I think her boyfriend is at Seoul. This is just a vacation so she needed time with her family that she didn’t come here with her boyfriend. Why did I never ask if she has a boyfriend? What am I thinking? I never thought that falling in love with her is a wrong thing to do.

 

YURI’S POV

April 20, 2013

                This day explodes a big revelation. Sica, who came here a while ago from Seoul, was the sister of Yunho oppa, the nerd oppa I met four years ago. I mean not exactly met, it was just a glimpse of him. It was the first day that Minho started not accompanying me to walk to the dorm and it was the last day that Yunho oppa pick Sica from the university. I didn’t even realize that behind those glasses he wore during our college days was the Yunho I met here in Jeju. I must say, this was really a small world. Well, it was not so bad to know this besides this is the happiest day because Sica and I finally reunite. Yunho oppa and I enjoy each other’s company. But the thing is, is Yunho oppa going to be the same? I’m just a plain and boring college girl who loves dancing.  I think everything will change. I hope it will not happen.

-Yuri <3