Chapter 9

The Neighbor's Fate

YUNHO’S POV

                This is another morning for me but now with Sica living here with me. Well, I must take a jog and leave Sica with her beauty rest. I will not wake her up to leave a reminder that I’m going to be outside for she is sleeping beauty, sleeping for how many hours.

                I fetch Taepoong and go outside. I slip my earphones and start to jog. I jog pass Kwon’s residence. Where is Yuri? Ah, I almost forgot that she has a boyfriend. I must stop thinking about her. I just jog faster. I pass by the beach then someone taps my shoulder.

                “Yah! Why didn’t you stop when I was calling you? I’m shouting already.” Yuri?

                “I’m sorry. I didn’t hear you.”

                “What? Even the neighbors can hear me.” She says angrily.

                “I’m sorry. I have my earphones on.”

                “Is that so? I’m sorry. Why didn’t you wait for me?” She asks.

                “Is that necessary?”

                “Oh! Wait a second. What’s with the coldness?”

                “Nothing. Here, you can take Taepoong with you. Just take him to the house after you exercise. I think Sica will be up when you get back. Bye.”

                I run quickly as I could far from Yuri. What with my coldness? It is wrong to be with you, Yuri. It’s hard to be away from you but I must do this, leaving you. How I wish that I am the one beside you. How I wish I’m the first one you met when you were in college. How I wish that I fell in love with you on the day that we met. How I wish I am your boyfriend. How I wish that I am the one for you. How I wish.

                I decided to go to Boa’s grave.

                “Hey. How are you? It’s been a tough morning for me. Remember Yuri, the girl I’m talking about. She has a boyfriend. Do you think I must forget about her or just stay friends with her? It’s really hard for me because I am falling in love with her. What will I do? I almost forgot she is a Kwon. Are you related to her?”

                “Yes, she is.” Someone says. I turn around and found Mr. Hyukjun Kwon staring at me.

                “Good morning sir. What are you doing here? Did you just hear what I’ve said?” I ask, little embarrass because he just found out that I love his daughter.

                “I heard it. I can’t stop you from admiring Yuri. My girls are very pretty just like their mother.”

                “I admit Yuri and Sooyoung are very beautiful.”

                “Sooyoung is gorgeous but I’m talking about Yuri and Boa. They are my daughters.”

                “Boa is your daughter?”

                “She is. That’s why I’m here.”

                “How? I’m sorry sir. Boa was not telling stories about your family. She is quite busy with her job.”

                “It’s alright. I understand if she acts that way because our salary was not enough to support the family financially.”

                “Can I ask something?”

                “Sure.”

                “What happened on the day that Boa returned here? She was so lonely when she came back. I don’t have a single thought about it.” Then Mr. Kwon tells the accident.

               

                Boa heard the news about her mother on a car accident. She rashly travel to Jeju and went to the hospital that Mr. Kwon said.

                “What happened appa?” she asked but her appa didn’t answer her.

                “Max? Yul? What happened?” she panicked.

                “Unnie, I’m sorry.” Yul said while crying out loud.

                “Noona, umma was crash by a bus.” Changmin said as calmly as possible.

                “Why did that happen?” No one answered.

                “Can somebody tell me what did the hell happen?” She yelled.

                “Yul ran away from home and umma followed her then the accident happened.” he cried.

                “Why Yul? I thought you were smart. Why are you not thinking? Are you on yourself? Look what happened.”

                “I’m sorry unnie.” Yul whispered.

                “Is this act all about Minho?” she shouted.

                “It’s not an act unnie. He’s dead.”

                “I already said that finish your relationship with Minho. She’s meeting with another girl. How many times do I have to tell you? It’s not working anymore. Look what happened. Umma…” she fell on her knees and cried.

                “Unnie, I’m really sorry. I didn’t know this would happen.” she touched Boa’s face. But a slap on her face was heard in the corridor.

                “Don’t touch me!  I’m sorry Yul but I need you to forget about me. I’m not your sister anymore.” She went to her appa and hugs her.

                On the day of the burial, everyone was devastated. Tears can’t explain how they are so hurt of their umma’s accident. It was raining; no one wanted to leave the burial even it already ended.

                The day after, Boa was leaving Jeju.

                “Appa, I will leave now. I will send you a message if I already arrive at Seoul. Take care. I love you.” She hugged her appa who is silently sitting on the couch, staring at nothing.

                “Max, take care of appa. You are the only hope here to brighten up our home. I love you. I will get going.” She hugged Changmin and walked to the door but was stop by Yuri’s hug.

                “Unnie, I will miss you. Just let me hug you for the last time, even just for a minute.” Yuri insisted.

                Boa faced Yuri and she let Yuri hugged her. She distanced herself to Yuri after a minute of hug.

                “Take care unnie. I’m really sorry for what happened. I love you so much.” Yuri bided.

                Boa didn’t turn to bid Yuri good bye as she was crying, feeling guilty to hate Yuri. She rode on the company’s car shedding tears. She turned the ignition on and drove the vehicle. She was still crying. She didn’t know if the world was angry at her because of what happened. It’s really hard to move on. She was having second thoughts if her life was still peaceful and happy. Happiness? Does that word still exist? While having hard time driving, she was also thinking about her mother. Her life became so miserable.

                On her way back to Jeju for her umma’s death anniversary, she felt so much pain in her head. She can’t concentrate on her driving. As she passed the intersection, her speed increased because of the wet road. The car slipped and crashed into the bus that was parked in front of the terminal.

                At Kwon’s residence, the silent lunch was disturbed by a sudden call of a police officer.

                “Appa… Noona is…” Changmin stuttered.

                “Max, what happened to your sister?” Mr. Kwon asked.

                “She had a car accident. She is in the emergency room.” Changmin informed.

                “Which hospital is she admitted? Let’s hurry.” Mr. Kwon hurriedly went outside and got a cab.

                “Yul, are you going with us?” Changmin asked the stunned Yuri.

                “Yes oppa.”

                They went to the hospital but when they arrive, they were informed that Boa was already dead. No one talked. No one moved. But then everyone cried. Yuri went outside leaving her family. She went to the garden even though it is raining. She fell on her knees and sobbed.

                “It’s my entire fault. First, umma died because of a car accident then unnie followed. Unnie died hating me. This is so terrible. How can I face my family? How can I attend my sister’s burial? I am a dreadful daughter and sister. What will I do now? Lord, help me.”

                On the day of the burial, the only ones who were there are Mr. Kwon, Changmin and Yuri. Everyone was weeping but the most devastated was Yuri. No one was comforting her and no one was talking to her.

                “Why it was always raining when something happened so terrible?” Yuri whispered.

               

                “I didn’t know how we move on and accept the fact that they were gone.” Mr. Kwon finishes and yet I have nothing to answer.

                “Yunho, are you alright?”

                “Oh, I’m sorry. But forgive me sir for I didn’t attend the funeral. I am her boyfriend on that time.” I inform.

                “It’s okay. We purposely kept it private. I’ve knew that she had a boyfriend but I never knew his name. It turns out that you were him. I’m sorry that I didn’t have the time to tell you.”

                “It’s alright sir. But thanks for her company, they called me a week after the incident.” I confirm.

                “Sir, I’m sorry to tell you this. When she went here on that time, she is struggling with her sickness. She had a brain tumor but she didn’t want to tell your family because she didn’t want you to worry about her. She was so depressed and didn’t think about her sickness to go here. On the day she was leaving Seoul, she said that it was already her time and one day I got to meet her family. She’s confident that I will meet you sir. I think she knew that I will find her where ever she goes. She also told me that if I found your family I must remind you something.” I stop for a moment. It’s getting lonely remembering that day.

                “She said that she love you and Changmin so much, especially her sister.” I add then tears come out of my eyes.

                “Cheer up Yunho. I know that she loves us so much. I also know that she really didn’t hate Yuri. Yuri is like her twin sister. She cares a lot about her.”

                “Did Yuri already visit Boa’s grave?” I ask.

                “I think she didn’t. Since the day of her unnie’s burial, she didn’t have the courage to visit her grave after that. She always hates herself when thinking about her unnie’s accident. She always thinks that the death of her unnie and umma was her entire fault. It’s already hard to convince her to visit her umma’s grave. The day you met my granddaughters here, it was the first time she came with us after the burial. We always explain that it was just an accident but she never agreed on us. She was the only one who never accepts their death” Mr. Kwon says.

                I keep silent. This is so surprising. This is the reason why Yuri hates the rain so much.

                “Do you know that Yuri idolizes Boa? She wants to become a world-known choreographer. She loves her unnie so much that she wants to continue their dream."

                I’ve never thought. That is why she is so passionate about dancing. But why did this happen?

                “The only reason why Yuri ran away is because of Minho?”

                “Yes. She said that her ex-boyfriend was dead that is why she got so depressed.”

                Minho is her ex-boyfriend?

                “I think I must go back. My family will get worried. Good bye Yunho.” “Goodbye princess.” He touches Boa’s grave and leaves.

                “Hey baby. I never thought that Yuri is your sister. I am still shock for what I’ve just heard. Is this true or I am just dreaming?”

                 

YURI’S POV

April 21, 2013

                I was right. It was a hot summer but he is so cold. He is so mean. I hate him! I hate him!

-Yuri!