Chapter 1

The Neighbor's Fate

YUNHO's POV
    This afternoon at Incheon International Airport, I am waiting for hours for the plane to board. I look at my watch and it tells that it's almost 8am. How long will I wait for this damn flight?  
    " Flight 1419," I finally heard at the speakers of the airport. At last, as if they heard my complain.
    I'm walking to my seat wearing this expensive branded clothes and accessories. All eyes on me. As if they are seeing a handsome model passing by. I'm not kidding. Even the stewardess are drooling because of my presence.
    "Good morning sir, may I ask what is your seat no.?" the stewardess asks seeking for my attention.
    "No. 19," I coldly answer. It's a bit annoying on how she look at me without even blinking her eyes, on how she puts her hair on her left ear, and how she speaks in a high pitch tone.
    Not paying attention to my cold attitude, she leads me to my seat full of glee and asks me once again, "This is your seat sir. Anything you want?"
    "No. Thank you. You may leave now."
    She frowns and left with a broken heart. I didn't intend to hurt her but that's the only way to stop her.
    The plane is a two-seater flight and my seat is by the window. But the person sitting next to it is blocking my way. Her legs are too long to let me pass by and she doesn't see me because she is wearing this stupid eye mask. Girls are really something, aren't they?
    "Excuse me miss," I groan then tap her left shoulder. "Can you sit up straight? Your legs are blocking my way to my seat." She fliches a little but then she sits up straight and says, "I'm sorry."
    I sit down and stare at the woman sleeping peacefully. She didn't even mind who is seating next to her. But it is none of my business so I didn't mind it anymore.
    I remove my jacket and finally let myself relax. When I'm about to lay my head on the seat, I feel that someone's head is on my left shoulder. Who else could it be? This woman beside me is really troublesome. I put her head back to her seat where it was originally placed.
    But after a couple of minutes, her head is on my left shoulder once again. And this time her tongue is sticking out, doing a merong. I can't hold my laughter like my cheeks were about to explode. She's very funny, isn't she? But I am very tired to deal with this nonsense.I put her naughty-distracting head to her seat once again.
    I'm about to close my eyes but then again her head is on my left shoulder. This woman is really disturbing. She even holds my left arm tightly that I need a pulley to remove this thing off me.
    This woman is really up to something. Is she even asleep? "I think you're messing with me young lady." I whisper grungely and remove her eye mask.
    I keep silent. She's really sleeping. I am not just surprise that she is asleep but I'm stun by her attractiveness. I feel like I'm looking at an angel that is sent from above. I let her sleep on my shoulder for I like this feeling-heaven.
    "Well, this will be a long flight. I will pass it this time. Thank God for giving you a gorgeous face. I cannot wake you up for even you are sleeping you are still beautiful." I murmur under my breath. Then my heart starts beating so fast, I'm must be insane.
    I let the time pass by while this woman is sleeping comfortably at my shoulder. I can't relax, I can't close my eyes, as a matter of fact I can't sleep. No matter how hard I try to sleep for the whole long flight I can't help myself to look at her beautiful face.
    After an hour, we arrive at Jeju but this woman is still sleeping. I stand up and fix her postion to her seat.
    "You are really comfortable with your seat young lady. But I must go now and I think you have no plans on leaving this plane. Goodbye." I bid and laugh all the way outside.

YURI'S POV
    "Maam," someone tap my shoulder. I rub my eyes and open it. "We have already landed on Jeju. The passengers already left except for you." the stewardess informs.
    What? We are already in Jeju? Oh my gosh. I slept for the whole flight.
    "Don't be upset maam but your boyfriend left you already." Boyfriend? Really?
    "Excuse me, but my boyfriend died already." The stewardess doesn't believe me.
    "I know you are upset maam. Forgive him because he left already. But he is so sweet. He let you sleep on his shoulder and you even held his arm. I think he didn't have some sleep because he just watched you sleep. I know he is waiting for you." the stewardess explains.
    Yuri-ah! Pabo! You sleep too much you even didn't bother whose beside you!
    "Thank you miss for informing me. I must take my leave now." I bid nervously.
    "You are welcome maam. Take care. And by the way you have a handsome boyfriend. Nice catch." She smirks at me with her eyes twinkling. Oh my! What have I done?
    I leave the plane and walk towards the lounge of the airport with crazy thoughts running to my mind. When I saw my family this thoughts fade away. I run to them and hug all of them for I miss them so much.
    "Welcome home sweetie." my appa says and kiss me on my forehead.
    "How was your flight?" Sooyoung asks cheerfully. "I sleep well Sooyoung." I reply to lessen her worries then I search for my nieces. "Hello girls. Do you remember me?"
    "Aunt Yuri!" the girls shout and kiss my cheeks.
    "Oppa, how are you?" I excitedly ask Changmin oppa.
    "I'm fine Yul. But I think we need to go home now and have some celebration." he explains chantingly.
    

    Finally we're home!
    "Yul, just put your luggage into your room and you can have a walk at the beach while we are preparing for dinner." Sooyoung says while she busy herself preparing the dinner.
    "Thank you Sooyoung." I quickly put my things in my room. I pull the curtains aside to let the sunlight shines to my room. I miss the beach so much. I quickly unpack my things and run outside like a child seeing the beach for the first time.
    The beach is so lovely. It's still the same like the last time I was here. I stretch out my arms feeling the sea breeze touches my skin.
    The sea is really clear and beautiful, that's why having a vacation here in Jeju is so relaxing. I must go get Hyoyeon and Yoona for them to look at this.
    I run to the house and search for my two niece. "Hyoyeon! Yoona! Where are you?" I yell, loud enough to hear by everyone. The two adorable children come out from the kitchen .
    "Why are you calling us Auntie?" Hyoyeon asks, wondering why I suddenly call them. "Come! Let's have a walk outside. The sunset is beautiful."
    "But we want to eat more cookies." Yoona exclaims as she pouts her lips.
    "You can eat it before you go to sleep. If you two come with me, I will also make you milk." I convince them.
    "Really? What are you waiting for Auntie? Let's go." Hyoyeon says and grabs my right hand. "Let's run." Yoona follows and grabs my left hand.
    They grow so fast but they are still the shikshin I knew, still full of energy and a lot of aegyo.
    We run and walk joyously to the beach. After a couple of minutes, I take a rest and let the girls play on the sand. Then a guy distracts my sight; he is sleeping. I stare at him, confuse why on earth he is asleep at this hour. The sun's gonna leave soon. Such a waste of time, he doesn't admire the beauty of the sunset.
    My thoughts are distracted because the girls are throwing sea shells at the guy I was staring at. I quickly stand, step on my foot and run to them.
    "Yah! What are you doing?" the guy stands bursting with anger.
    The girls run behind my legs. I kneel down and request to them, "Girls, apologize to him. It is bad to disturb a person who is sleeping."
    "I'm sorry ahjussi." Yoona murmurs scared like a lost child.
    "Who are you calling ahjussi?! You little punks!" he shouts and points at them. "You are an irresponsible mother. Did you thought them some good manners?" he adds and points at me.
    "You ahjussi!" I shout at him, ready to give him a punch on his face and leave a mark on it.
    "You little-" I didn't let him finish and exclaim, "Mister, why are you shouting and pointing at them? They already apologized. They are just kids. You stubborn ahjussi!" I kick his right leg and hurriedly say to the girls, "Okay kids. Run!"
    We run back to the house as fast as we could so that the guy will not find us.
    Before we enter the house, I talk to the girls for what they have done. "That was close. But why did you threw shells at him? You know that it is bad especially he is a stranger sleeping."
    "We saw you staring at him. So we thought you knew him and run to him then wake him up. We also wanted to play with him." Hyoyeon happily says.
    Kids. I sigh and tell them, "Don't tell this to your appa because he will get mad to us. Okay?" The girls nod. "Let's go inside. It is already time for dinner."
    We walk to the dining room and found them ready to eat. We sit to our respective chairs and start to fill our stomach.
    "How's the walk my two princess?" Changmin oppa asks and begins to eat.
    "Fun!" the girls choruslly reply. "We ran a lot outside." Yoona adds.
    "That's good. Yul, how was your vacation here?" oppa asks but doesn't dare to look at me because he is also busy ravaging the food.
    "It's relaxing oppa." I say and fill my mouth with this tasty-looking food. I must admit, Sooyoung is improving with her cooking. "Sooyoung, this is so delicious. Well done." She blushes. "I really need this vacation. Dancing is tiring but fun." I add.
    "Yul, I heard you will start your part-time job as a teacher in Seoul University this coming school year. Teaching the students to dance might be tough. It will be more tiring." Sooyoung says looking into my eyes.
    "Yes Sooyoung. I need to work more. I need to pay for the rent of my apartment and also to help you pay for appa's expenses in the hospital." I explain.
    "Sorry Yul that I can't help you. My salary is not good enough to lend you some money and pay for appa's expenses." Changmin oppa sadly says.
    "It's okay oppa. I understand. At least you already bought this beautiful house and I could have a vacation here. And it is also my responsibility to help in paying appa's hospital bills for I am the only daughter of our parents. And I owe you a lot oppa. Thank you for treating him like your real father." I explain. I can see that oppa's eyes are teary. I give him a warming smile so that I can enlighten his sorrow even just a little.
    "Before I forget, how is appa?"
    "He is in his room. The chemotherapy yesterday makes him really tired today. Would you mind giving him his vitamins after you eat your meal?"
    "Sure oppa."
    I finish my meal and get the vitamins then walk towards appa's room. Before I could enter appa's room, my two very cute niece block me.
    "Where are you going Auntie?" Hyoyeon asks me with her hands on her waist.
    "Inside."
    "Do you remember what you said to us a while ago?" Yoona questions.
    "Did I say something?" I joke.
    "Auntie!" both of them shout.
    "Now I remember. I'm just joking girls. How can I forget that." I laugh at their expression.
    "That's good. We will wait for you at our room." Hyoyeon says speaking like an adult.
    "Don't forget your promise." Yoona adds giving me those twinkling eyes.
    "I will not forget my promise. I will just give this to appa and then I will prepare your milk. But first take your bath and go to your bedroom."
    "Yes maam." they reply and salute to me.
    After they are gone, I enter appa's room.
    "Appa?"
    "Sweetie, how was your day today?"
    I sit beside him, "The girls are excited as always. It's tiring but I had so much fun. Here, drink your medicine." I give him his medicine and a glass of water. It makes me so happy seeing appa this cheerful even though he has a colon cancer. Thanks God because it is only stage 1. The detection was early so we can cure it quickly.
    "It's raining outside." He looks outside, loving the drops of the rain. "You really look like your mother when you smile. I miss her."
    But missing umma makes me sad. "I'm sorry appa."
    "Why sweetie?"
    I hug appa. "Umma died because of me. It is all my fault. If I didn't ran away from home that rainy day it will not happen." Then appa hugs me and taps my back.
    "It was an accident sweetie. I'm sure she loves you very much. And I know she's happy watching us above. Stop crying now my Yul. Your umma will be sad if she's seeing you crying."
    I stop crying and wipe my tears. "Okay. Appa, can we go to umma's grave tomorrow?"
    "Alright sweetie. We'll go tomorrow morning."
    "Thank you appa. I'm gonna go to sleep now. Good night and I love you."
    "Good night sweetie. I love you too."
    I leave appa's room and go to the kitchen. I prepare the milk and get some cookies for my nieces. I walk to the girls' room.
    Knock! Knock!
    "Come in." I heard a soft voice. It must be Sooyoung.
    "Hi Sooyoung. Hi girls. Here are the milk and cookies I promise to both of you." I put the tray on the desk beside their beds.
    "Thank you Auntie."
    "You're welcome."
    "Okay girls, after you are finish with your milk and cookies, brush your teeth and go to sleep." Sooyoung orders.
    "Yes umma." they happily reply.
    "Sooyoung, do you want to go with us to umma's grave tomorrow morning?"
    "Of course Yul. It's been a long time we've gone there with you. After that we can go to my friend's restaurant."
    "That's good. I'm leaving now. Good night Sooyoung. Good night Hyoyeon and Yoona."
    "Goodnight Yul."
    "Goodnight Auntie."
    I take a hot shower and relax myself;let this sadness fades leaving this body of mine. I change to my comfortable mickey mouse printed pajamas then walk to my desk at my room which is facing the windows. I get my pink journal and my mickey mouse pen.

    April 8, 2013
    I still hate the rain so much because I always remember umma's death. It is so heart-breaking. I can sense that appa is also suffering not just because of his sickness but he also misses umma so much. I badly misses umma so much.


    My tears begin to flow down to my cheeks. I stare at the night sky and imagine the face of my umma. I can see that she is smiling up there. My heart becomes warm and my lips make its smile.
    Then I stare at this new house in front of me. I focus my eyes, clearing my sight what this guy looks like.