It Comes with a Price

A Rooftop for the Dimples

Wait.

Before you read this chapter, I suggest that you reread first the previous one. I am really sorry it took me long to update. Hoping I can make it up to you by publishing this chapter. 

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

        Sora yawned in front of the mirror in the bathroom. She was still groggy. I stayed up too late last night. I’m so glad my shift starts in the afternoon. She the music player placed on the vanity. Oh! He kept his promise. Rossini’s opera was playing. Then she remembered something and went back to her room.

         “Oh mum,” she called her mother. “It’s about Parent’s Day. There’s a concert for my symphony that day. I’ll get you tickets.”

         She listened to her mother’s reply before answering back.

         “And..” She paused. “I’m sorry for being harsh last night.”

        She went back to the bathroom to do her morning necessities. She was brushing her hair when the door opened.

        “Oh sorry.” He immediately uttered. “So you’re here.”

       “Morning, Jungsoo ssi.” She greeted him brightly. She saw some sludge in his hands. “Were you working on the car? What’s that, oil?”

        “Don’t look at me like that.” He told her. He had the feeling she might nag at him again. “I’ll wash the sink, too.”

       She just chuckled as she tried to pass him on the doorway. But Jungsoo also moved at the same moment which resulted at them bumping at each other. In reflex, Sora instantly raised her hands for defense and she ended placing them on Jungsoo’s chest. She was so near she could feel the thud of his heartbeat.

          What should I do? I need to move away but…

        “You did something good.” She heard him speak. “I was just outside. Your phone call would have made your mum really happy.”

        I don’t want to let go. She raised her head and saw Jungsoo staring back at her. Their eyes met.

        “I need to wash up.” He told her. The magic was gone. He entered the bathroom while Sora went to clean the kitchen.

       While living together.. She stopped wiping the table which is already clean. I knew I had to be careful not to develop feelings like this. But as soon as I was in his arms..  She recalled the feel of his body against hers and the deep gaze he gave her.  I wanted to make him mine.

        She released a heavy sigh. But I don’t have the right.

        She came out of her room after sorting out her feelings. She saw Jungsoo cooking something in the kitchen.

        “Sora-ya!” He called her like nothing happened an hour before. “I just finished making the world’s best pasta sauce.”

        “I hope you’re hungry.”

      She didn’t know what to do but decided to come closer. She leaned on the counter. “You’re going to give me some?” She inquired. “I never turn down a free meal.”

        “Who said anything about it being free?” He replied while finishing the sauce. “You’ll be cleaning the dishes.”

        She chuckled. “It’s a deal then.”

        Our silly conversations and jokes lift my spirits so much. She thought to herself as she watched him prepare the table.

        “You’re too much for me, Jungsoo ssi.” She remarked unconsciously as she was absorbed in their funny conversation.

        “What?” Jungsoo was surprised but was uneasy.

        “Oh, nothing.” She now realized what she said. She got up from the chair and got an envelope in her bedroom. “I have a present for you since you’re helping me out with my mum’s visit. It’s not much but I wanted to say thanks.”

         “What is it?”

         She gave it to him. “They are tickets to our concert on Parent’s Day. If you wanted to come..”

         “You’re giving this to me?” He wondered. Then he burst into laughter. “Me? To a symphony concert?” He couldn’t withhold his laughter. “You’re funny, Sora.”

          Sora didn’t know what to react. She was appalled.

          Realizing what he did, Jungsoo released a sigh and hit his head with his palm. I am such an idiot!

          Sora turned her back and started to leave the living room. Jungsoo immediately followed her to explain.

          “I didn’t mean it.” He told her. “It’s just.. I’ve never even thought about going to something like that.”

         “Sorry, I’ve got to practise with my violin.” She sounded pissed. She didn’t look at him in the face. “I’ll shut the door so I won’t bother you.”

        We were starting to have fun and I ruined it. The thought suddenly entered his mind. Fun? He asked himself again. I can’t believe I think spending time with such an uptown girl is fun. She would suit a guy who had a good upbringing and education like her. A guy who would leap at the chance to go to her concert.

         He was left standing, leaning outside her door, musing over their circumstance.

 

 

***

 

          It’s not Jungsoo ssi’s fault. Sora was on her way home from her afternoon shift on the music store. If he tried to take me to a country music concert, I probably couldn’t smile and say “Sure!” sincerely.

       She slammed the paper bag full of groceries on the kitchen table and heaved a sigh. This is the disadvantage when you’re living 4-storeys up and you’re bringing heavy things with you.

        She went to buy some stuff before coming home. Since it was Jungsoo’s first day at work, she decided to make some food for him even though she knows she isn’t really good at cooking.

       We should celebrate together. Then, it won’t be so awkward anymore. She thought while trying hard to follow the procedures written on the cookbook.

 

***

 

       It was already past seven in the evening when Jungsoo reached the rooftop. The door creaked when he opened it. Then he heard something popping out.

        “Welcome home,” Sora greeted refreshingly with an empty container of confetti in her hands.

        Jungsoo was shocked. Speechless.

        “Congrats on your first day at work. I made you a feast.” She told him enthusiastically while introducing the food on the table. She grabbed him on his arms. “I hope you like it.”

         Jungsoo still didn’t utter a word.

         “Is there something wrong, Jungsoo ssi?” Sora faced and asked him, getting worried.

         “Sora,” His voice was low. “My friends have planned something already for this evening.”

         Jungsoo saw Sora’s facial expression changed. She turned her back at him.

         “You better get going, then.” She spoke without facing him.

         “But..”

         “Don’t worry about me.” She gave him a smile.

         “No, I’ll turn the guys down. They’re in the car downstairs.” Jungsoo told her ready to go out again.

         “No.” She stopped him first. “We’ll just reschedule the dinner. Ok?”

          Sora looked at him with a pretty face. He knew she didn’t want him to worry and feel apologetic. But he also knew she was disappointed. And hurt.

           “It all looks really good. You do such cute things.” He told her.

           Cute?! Sora blushed after hearing the word.

           Jungsoo’s face also went red and must turn his face away from her to hide it.

          “Jungsoo-ya!” They heard one of Jungsoo’s friends call him coming up the stairs. “What are you doing? You don’t want to make Taeyeon wait.”

            “Yeah.” Jungsoo automatically answered somewhat confused.

            Taeyeon?!

            “Go!” Sora tried to push him out of the door. “You can’t let your friends wait.”

           “Sora,” He can only say her name in a low voice. Then without notice he leaned and gave her a peck on her left cheek. “Thank you.”

            Sora was dumbfounded. She heard Jungsoo closed the door then that was the time she went slumping on the carpeted floor.

        Cute.. He talks to me like a child but goes out at night with a woman called Taeyeon. She suddenly felt heavy and despondent. No, it’s wrong for me to think like this. It’s not Jungsoo ssi’s fault…

 

***

 

           “Sora?” Jungsoo called for her the moment he opened the main door. Has she gone to bed? He took off his jacket which left him wearing his white polo shirt which sleeves were rolled up to his elbows.

           I’ve never wanted to come home from a party so early before. He breathed heavily opening the first three buttons of his shirt.

            Why do we keep misunderstanding each other? He massaged his aching temple. If only I could tell her now how much I appreciated it.

           He was on his way to his room when he glimpsed her door to be slightly opened. Is she still awake? There was a series of thuds in his chest as he approached her room. And there he saw her sleeping face, so innocent and calm. He came closer and sat on her bedside and he saw that there was a slight crease between her well-defined brows.

              Sora must have felt the movement on her bed which made her open her eyes. “Jungsoo ssi?”

              “I shouldn’t have come here.” He told her and prepared to leave her bed but she hindered him by grabbing his right wrist.

            “I should have checked your plans first.” Her eyes still looked dreamy. He was caught in her eyes that he didn’t realized she already pulled him closer to her. He had to have his arms between her body, as support in order for him not to totally fall over her.

               “Kiss me,” she asked him. Her hands were interlaced behind his neck. He couldn’t move. He kept contact with her eyes.

               “You…” He didn’t know what to respond. “You.. don’t know what you’re saying.”

             “I do.” She replied firmly. And he saw that in her eyes. The innocence mixed with pleading and yearning..  That moment, it was plainly hard not to give in.

               “This shouldn’t be happening.” He uttered before succumbing to what he felt that moment.

              Sora felt the warmth of Jungsoo’s breath on her cheeks the moment his lips touched hers. His tender kiss tasted so sweet, she didn’t want it to end.

                “Why does it have to be you?” Jungsoo asked when he let go.

             Sora only stared at his confused eyes. She didn’t had the chance to answer for Jungsoo covered with his. She pulled him closer to her and felt him grab her waist tighter. His other hand was cupping her neck, making the kiss deeper. She felt the softness of his lips and the sweet taste of his kiss. She didn’t want to let go. She wanted more. His masculine scent seductively drifting into her nostrils added to the heat growing inside her.

              But again, Jungsoo stopped. He stared at her, cupping her face and gently caressing her cheek with his thumb. His eyes filled with mix emotions.

             “I can’t.” He finally said. He got up from the bed and left. Sora only followed him with her gaze until she saw him turned the knob and the door clicked.

               She touched her lips, remembering the warmth the other person gave her before he got back from a trance-like moment.She felt a pang in her chest.

               Jungsoo ssi. 

 

 

 

 

*****

              How was it? Please. I need your comments to make my writing better. Hihihi~ And really, really sorry for not updating for almost two weeks.