Let's Meet Again

A Rooftop for the Dimples

 

 

 

        “When was the last time I wore a tie?” Jungsoo thought to himself.  He cleared his throat. He wasn’t totally comfortable sitting on that big room.  There were faint chatters inside the theatre.  Chairs were set up on the stage. “Anyways, what does this program mean?” He flipped through the pages of the pamphlet.

        “Excuse me.” He heard someone say so he looked up.

        “Are you sitting on D-10?” It was a woman in a long-sleeved, peach satin dress. Jungsoo nodded to answer her question. The woman smiled and sat right next to him.

       “What an elegant lady.” He told himself.

        “Errm, excuse me,” he started hesitantly. “If it is not too much trouble, would you mind explaining the program to me?”

        “Of course.” The lady smiled.

        “I’m like a fish out of water at a classical concert. But I really want to see my friend play.” Jungsoo tried to be casual. “She’s the third violinist.”

        “Oh..” It was her reply. “I’m sure she’d be happy to know her boyfriend was here.”

        “Ah no.” Jungsoo denied awkwardly. He unconsciously scratched his neck. “We’re just friends.”

        He released a sigh and looked aimlessly in the front. “Her family is very wealthy. And her mother would never accept a guy like me.”

         The woman looked at him with interest as he continued. “If I was her parent, I’d want her to marry the best man. A man from same social standing.”

         “You are not the best man for her?” She inquired curiously.

         “No. Not at all. But in some ways, I think I may be her best match.” He was still looking straight.

         “So even if she wasn’t rich, you would feel the same about her?” He heard her asked again.

         “Yes.” He replied. “I love her.”

         There was pause. He moved his hands to support his chin and closed his eyes. “This is why we have to stop living together so we can confirm our feelings.”

         “You live together?” The woman was shocked.

         He told her how they ended up renting the same apartment by accident.

         “You can imagine what her mother would think if she found out.” He couldn’t look at the lady for he was shy.

         “Yes,” was her terse reply. Then she sighed and smiled like she was thinking something. “I can understand. I have a daughter, too.”

          He looked at her suddenly.

          “Us mothers have to let love lead our children. Then eventually accept them as adults and let them leave the nest.” She told him. Her eyes closed. “It’s sad.”

          “Your daughter will always be your daughter.” He replied and she nodded. Mothers feel like this towards their daughters. Sora’s mum must be the same. I’d like to meet her.

         That moment, the conductor raised his stick and the band started playing. It was Jungsoo’s first time to hear something like this live. He was caught in the middle of the music. It was like a storm, stirring the emotions.

          I’ve never felt like this. He thought as he let the sound engulf him.

         Time passed by unknowingly.  It was already finished.

         The audience gave the performers a standing ovation. The theatre was filled with applause.

         “That was fantastic!” Jungsoo exclaimed. He was greatly impressed.

         “It was truly wonderful.” The lady beside him agreed. They started to leave their seats and come down the stairs. “You should go to her and tell her how you feel.”

         “Y—yes.” He adjusted his tie as he went down.

         He saw Sora and called her.

         “Jungsoo ssi!” Sora exclaimed in surprise. Her eyes widened. “I didn’t think you would come!”

         “It was fantastic!”  Jungsoo told her. Sora hugged him in gratitude. “I’ve never heard a live classical music before. I don’t know how to describe it.”

         “Jungsoo ssi,” Sora released herself from the embrace. “Will you meet my mother?”

         He looked at her questioningly. Then his expression softened. “I would love to.”

        Sora smiled. “Thank you!” Her eyes shifted. “Mum, this is Jungsoo ssi.”

        “What?” He was taken aback.  He followed Sora’s eyes and saw someone familiar.

        “Jungsoo ssi, meet my mother, Kang Shin Young.” Sora looked at him. Sora’s mum smiled.

        His face automatically turned red. He was speechless for a moment but his mind was running wild.

        “What’s wrong?” Sora asked.

        This lady is…

        “We’ve already met, Sora-ya.” Her mum told Sora.

        “Eh?” She wondered and looked from one person to the other.

       “Yes. This gentleman helped me settle that odd feeling I felt in your house.”

       “Odd feeling?”

       “The smell of aftershave and the soju bottles.” She told them. Sora and Jungsoo were both speechless and shocked.  “But what really did it was the player in the bathroom. I knew Sora would never listen to country music.”

        Sora looked at Jungsoo with an interrogating glare. He knew what it meant. He answered her stare with an apologetic one.

        “Would you like to have dinner?” Sora’s mum offered with a smile.  “I’ve booked a table at the Ritz-Carlton. Shall we go?"

 

 

 

         The main door creaked open.

          “Jungsoo ssi!!” It was Sora’s voice that welcomed him. She came rushing towards and hugged him. “You said you’d be back by Sunday night. Mum said you are a great guy.”

          “She’s a wonderful lady, too. And so are you, Sora.”

          He grabbed her by her arms and made her look up at him. “I found another apartment over the weekend.”

         “What?” He saw the shock in her eyes. “But the moving costs…”

         “I got paid on Friday. I’ll let Mr. and Mrs. Kim know later.” He went inside the room he was using. Sora was left outside the living room.

         “You’re… leaving.”

         “I want to give us time, Sora.” He emerged from the room. “Be apart for a while to see if what we are feeling is real.”

         “How long?” She asked worriedly. “A week?”

         “That’s too short.” He remarked. “Two months. Let’s meet again after two months.”

         “So long.”  She protested. Her eyes were getting hazy.

         “You should date other guys during this time.”

         “Is that what you want?” She was feeling weak. “Are you going to date other women, too?”

         “Yes.” She heard him answer. That did it. Her tears spilled. She was nailed standing.

         Jungsoo approached her and wiped the salty fluid off her face with his thumb. “Please understand.”

         Once again, even though it brought her pain and regret, she conceded. She closed her eyes when Jungsoo pulled her closer into his arms. He kissed her in the forehead. The only things she could remember that moment were Jungsoo’s familiar scent and warmth engulfing her soothingly. 

 

 

* * * * *

 

Hi people!

After one month, I've finally updated and I'll end the story like this. I know you're disappointed. Sigh. But maybe you can have your own epilogue for this. Kekeke~ So as a way of making it up to you, I decided to write another TeukSo story, "Why Don't You Trust Me?" Please also check it out. Hope it will be better than the previous stories. ^__^