If Only You Knew

A Rooftop for the Dimples

 

 

        “Are you sure you will be okay?” Sora was standing outside his bedroom door wearing an apron over her pyjamas. It was around eight in the morning and she was preparing breakfast. “Why don’t you eat first?”

        “Don’t worry. I’m good. Don’t talk about me to your mother.” Jungsoo reminded her as he moved his luggage out of the room.

        “It’s fine.” She assured him with a smile but it couldn’t hide the gloom in her eyes. “I won’t say anything and she will never know you are living here.”

         He moved towards the front door, carrying his things.

         “I want to get things right between my mother and I,” she spoke as she walked on the tiled floor, following him, “so I won’t have time to talk about you.”

         There was another forced smile.

         “All right then,” he started. “I hope I haven’t forgotten anything.” He wandered his eyes around the enclosed space before turning to leave.

        “Jungsoo ssi,”

        He paused and faced her, steadying the strap of the backpack hanging on his shoulders.

        “Will you come later?”

        “Oh that’s right.” He thought. Today will be the first time Sora performs with her symphony.

        “I can’t promise but I’ll try.” He answered with an unsure smile. “Good luck. I’ll be back by Sunday evening.” He ruffled her hair before going out of the main door.

        Sora went outside as Jungsoo was going down. She waited for him to come out of the building as she looked down over the balcony. There was one thing she wanted to ask from him but shyness took over her.

 

 

 

 

         “Mum, this is my apartment.” She was fiddling her hands.

         Sora’s mother exuded elegance in her cropped ebony hair. Her small stature added to the gentleness and softness her face was showing. She was wearing an old rose silk ¾ top over black slacks which fitted her perfectly.

         Her mother scanned the whole place. The walls and ceiling were cream-colored with ecru wooden panels surrounding it. There are bulbs on the four corners of the ceiling and a rounded lamp at the center, giving the room a pale yellow light. On the farther end was the counter made of polished granite that separated the living room and the kitchen.

        “It might be smaller than your room but it looks good.” Her mum nodded in approval. “But why did you have to choose a rooftop place?” She asked worriedly. “Aren’t you tired coming 4-storeys up here, everyday?”

        “I’m fine mum.” Sora assured her. “I’m still young and capable. Walking up the stairs serves as a good exercise also.”

        “And mum,” she started with lowered head, “I have never thanked you.”

        “Sora-ya.”  Her mum’s eyes widened in surprise.

        “I felt suffocated by your excessive love.” She continued on. “But I discovered so much after spending just a few weeks apart from you. Like how I am so similar to you or how close I feel to you.”

        She sighed. “I never would have known these things if we continued to live together.”

         “You’ve got some nerve rebelling against me.” Sora’s mum hinted a bit of hurt in her voice. “I, too, don’t always know what’s right. I just think I do.”

        She slowly went closer to Sora and reached to hug her.

        “You’re all grown up now, aren’t you?”

        Mum. Sora lowered her eyes as she felt her mother’s warm embrace.

 

 

 

        “You can sleep here tonight.” Sora brought her mother to the extra room in the rooftop.

        “Oh.” Her mother exclaimed.

        “What?” She asked facing her after setting down the luggage on the bedroom floor.

        “What’s that smell? Men’s aftershave?” In an instant, Sora’s heart rate went haywire.

        “A guy used to live in this room.” She started to perspire but she kept calm for her mum not to notice it. Her mum just nodded to her answer.  “Do you want a latte or something?”

       “I can have a cup.”

       They went to the kitchen/dining area. Sora was getting uneasier by the moment.

       “I’ll get the milk.” Her mum volunteered and opened the fridge while she boiled water in the percolator.

       “Sora-ya,” This isn’t good, she thought. Her heart was thumping fast. “Did you know you have 2 bottles of soju in the fridge?”

       Omo! Eotteokhae?!! It must be from when Jungsoo ssi was with his friends.

       “Ne, I bought it.” She answered anxiously. I can’t let her know it was Jungsoo ssi’s.

       “You’re drinking?” Her mother gave Sora a hard look.

       “Can’t I?” She wanted to defend herself. Defend herself against the situation she brought herself in. “You said I’m already a grown up.”

       “Just make sure you’re not doing anything suspicious.” There was it again. The strictness in her mum’s voice.

       Sora couldn't even sigh due to anxiousness.

       Mum, if only you knew…

 

 

 

* * * * *

       Please don't be too disappointed. I feel guilty :(  After another almost two weeks of not updating, I can only give you this chapter. Eotteokhae?! I don't even know how to make it up to you. I might end this story after 2 more chapters. They might also be short. And I'm considering rewriting a Nora Roberts work into a DC story. What do you think guys? Want to read it? Coz personally, I  liked the plot. Kekeke~  See you the next chapters. Sorry if it takes long. I don't like forcing myself to write if I'm not into it.