Why

A Rooftop for the Dimples

 

        Sora was on her way home driving her car after the band practice. After reaching the building, she hurriedly proceeded upstairs. She was excited to reach her doorstep.

         “Jungsoo ssi?” She called him while opening the door. What greeted her was Jungsoo having fun with his friends. Drinking.

         What is this? She was shocked.

         It seems that Jungsoo and his two friends didn’t notice her.

         And I thought we could start over. Thought we could talk and work things out. She went closer to them.

         “Jungsoo ssi,” She was facing his back, suppressing her annoyance. “A word, please.”

        That’s when Jungsoo took notice of her. Sora?

        “What are you doing here?” He was taken aback.

        “I live here. Did you forget?” She snapped.

        “Ooohh..” One of Jungsoo’s friends exclaimed. “She lives here?”

        “Hey! Jungsoo can live with a girl if he wants.” The other one replied then together they laughed.

        “Jungsoo ssi, can I have a word? Alone.” She asked him then continued to her room.

        Jungsoo can only scratch his nape out of confusion. He got up and followed her.

        He cleared his throat. “I thought you would be late tonight.”

        “I am. It’s 10 already.” Her back him.

       “I thought you wouldn’t be back for another hour.”

       “You should have discussed it with me first.” She now released her anger. “You let people into my house without asking.”

       “It’s my house, too!” He answered back.

       Their argument was halted when they heard Sora’s phone ring. She picked it up while Jungsoo used the chance to make his friends leave.

       “Mum, it’s late. What do you want?” She asked her mother right away.

       “Remember we used to chat while watching the news?” Her mum spoke on the other line.

       “That was like,” she paused and released a sigh. “When I was 10.”

       “I was watching the new and I remembered.” Her mum told her. “I’m just so worried about you living alone.”

        I wonder what she would think if she knew I wasn’t alone.

        “You sound tired. You’re not working too hard, are you?” The voice on the other line asked. “Are you eating properly?”

        “Mum!” This is making her frustrated. “I am an adult now. I keep asking you to treat me like one.”

        “I know I’m just lonely.”

        “You can just arrange for a tour somewhere.” She told her. “Was there something else?”

        “I was wondering if we could spend Parent’s Day together. Hasn’t your dad called you yet?”

        “He still hasn’t.” She sat on her bed.

        “About me coming there, is it alright?”

        “It’s fine. I’ll be looking forward to it.” She said flatly and hung up.

        “You’re pretty harsh to your mum.” Jungsoo remarked. He was leaning back on her bedroom’s doorway.

        “My mum wants to control my life. You wouldn’t understand that.” She got off the bed and went passed him.

        “You’re probably right.” He followed her with his gaze. “I couldn’t see my mum that often and I don’t have a good relationship with my father.”

        She paused from drinking the water she got from the fridge and looked at him.

        “About earlier,” Jungsoo was hesitant to continue. “It was wrong for me to bring friends over without asking. But I didn’t think it was such a big deal.”

        “Yeah. It’s not.” She realized. She was now feeling uneasy.

        “Is something wrong?”

        “My mum’s coming here for Parent’s Day.” She was worried.

        “Is that all? No problem.” He assured her. “I’ll get my stuff and go to a cheap hotel or if it’s only a couple of days, my friend might let me stay at his.”

        “But you’ll have to move your things and all traces of yourself.” She told him.

        “I’ll make sure your mum doesn’t find out.” He gave her an “OK” and smiled. Sora was just stunned.

        Jungsoo ssi, gomawoyo.

        After she went to take a bath and dressed herself, she saw Jungsoo cleaning the mess he made with his friends.

        “Uhmm..” She started. “I’m sorry I was a bit harsh to your friends earlier.”

        “That’s alright.” He saw her apologetic face. “Do you want some tea?”

        “But you don’t like bitter drinks,” she told him.

        “I’ll make hot chocolate for myself.” He informed her as he started preparing for the drinks.

        “That reminds me why you had a drink a while ago,” she was curious.

        “I got a job as a helicopter pilot.” They sat facing each other on the dining table.

        “Wow! Daebak!” She congratulated him.

        His friends must have been here to celebrate.

       “They seem like really good friends.” She told him.

      “Some of them mess about after a few beers and soju, though.” He informed her. “But they were really good at leaving without a sound.”

       Why? She asked herself as she was staring at him smiling. His dimple showed. Why couldn’t we have been like this earlier? I could talk to him for a long time. Is it because I want him to know more about me? Or because I want to know more about him?

 

­* * * * *

 

       As I said at the beginning, this will be in a fast pace and will be short. Ahhh…but I don’t know. I think the story is becoming a mess. Eotteokhae?!