Is Perplexity the Right Word?

A Rooftop for the Dimples

 

        Bang!

        The chopping board sounded violently early in the morning. Jungsoo tried to focus on preparing breakfast. What happened to the self-restraint I learned in the army? To do that to Sora.. He continued projecting his frustrations on the vegetables in front of him when he heard a sweet, soft voice came behind him.

        “Good morning, Jungsoo ssi.” It was Sora who recently woke up. He didn’t bother to turn his head. He knew it won’t do any good.

        “Can we talk?” He heard her but didn’t answer. “Last night,” there was a pause. “I don’t plan on pretending nothing happened.”

       He the stove to stew the vegetables, grabbed his cup of hot chocolate on the counter, passed by her without looking. “You should forget about it. It’s never going to happen again.”

       “How can you say that?” She heard him say it so flatly, without any trace of emotion. Her voice slightly rose as she followed him with her gaze.

       “Because,” he halted but still didn’t face her. “I won’t let it happen.”

       “Jungsoo ssi.” She called his name in almost a whisper.

       He put the cup on the table still not looking at her. “I have to go to work now. The stew will be done in a while. Serve yourself.”

       “Wait! We need to talk properly.” Sora blurted out before Jungsoo could make a step.

       In one brief second, she was already hugging him from his back. Jungsso felt how her grasp became tighter despite her lack of strength. The look in his eyes changed. He turned to face her properly and grabbed her shoulders. Even though there was a lot of tension around him, inside him, he still considered her delicate frame.

       “Fine.. About last night,” he started, staring intensely at her face. He saw her eyelids flutter, her face still fresh from sleep.  Sora could see the strain in his eyes. “Listen carefully, Sora.”

        “If you’re just looking for a bit of fun, then please find another man.” His grip on her shoulders became stronger. “To tell you the truth, I don’t find you ually attractive, and I prefer women who know about the world a bit more.” She could feel her strength depleting at the same time when Jungsoo let go of her.

        “I’m sure there is someone more suited for a young lady from a respectable family.” He told her, with a look that was neither pity nor gentleness, before turning to leave. “See you.”

         Something stuck in . She wasn’t able to answer back.  She wanted to squeeze what was inside her chest for the pain she felt that moment. That was embarrassing. She feigned a smile, trying to deceive herself, as she went to flop her body on the leather couch in the living area. He doesn’t want me. And I’m so foolish, insisting myself to him. Again, she faked a laugh still not wanting to believe what just has happened. I really know nothing of the world. I should be grateful that Jungsoo ssi is such a gentleman.

          She reclined and rested her head on one end of the sofa and closed her eyes. No. Relying on mum now is just being selfish.

 

***

 

         “Sora ssi!” Someone called her while she was returning her violin on its case. Their band practice had already ended for the day. “Some of us are going to the coffee shop now. Do you want to come, too?”

         “Tae Joon has been wanting to ask you for ages.” A woman joyfully joined the conversation. “But you always seem so busy so…”

         “Don’t say anything unnecessary, Sooyul ssi.” The man named Tae Joon interrupted what the girl, Sooyul, was about to say.

         Sora accepted their invitation and went with them to the coffee shop. She had fun with them, her band members, her new friends. If she liked Tae Joon, at least it would have been easier than it is now, she thought as she carefully sipped her hot Americano. But.. Even if I’m hurt by those things he said, why does my heart not regret that kiss?

         She went out of her car and slammed the door. The night was quiet. The neighbourhood already retired to bed. She entered the building and proceeded to the rooftop place. The door creaked when she opened it. It seemed that no one was home. She noticed when she finally entered the living area.

          “Jungsoo ssi?” She called for him. “Are you here?”

         She carefully dropped her violin case on the table then heard a bam. She turned her head out of surprise. Her heart rate increased.

         “Where have you been?” Jungsoo appeared outside his bedroom door. There was something in his voice.

         “Where?” She was startled at first. “I was at my rehearsal.”

         “Until one in the morning?” He followed up a question and came nearer.

         She looked at the wall clock. It was really past 12 midnight already.

          “Afterwards, I went with my friends to the coffee shop.” She calmly told him not reading the situation.

         “Did you not think I would get worried?” Jungsoo controlled his voice. But he couldn’t hide the tautness. Even irritation was there.  “You could have been in an accident or assaulted. Or you could have been kidnapped.”

         “I-,” Sora was shocked with this sudden show of concern. “I’m not a child anymore. You’re acting like my mother.”

         But.. Why is Jungsoo ssi getting this angry?  “You were worried about me?” Her eyes had gotten bigger. Bewilderment was all over her.

         “Yes. That’s exactly it.” He answered without delay, without pretense. Sora knew he was really annoyed. He was controlling it. She noticed that his jaw muscles were becoming stiff. “I don’t care where you go with your friends. But I would have appreciated it if you had said something to me.”

          He didn’t bother to look at her and went back to his room. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to control his self the moment he looks at her again. He heard Sora mutter an apology as he passed by.

           Dang it! Don’t do this again.

           He was not totally sure if he wanted to tell those words to Sora or he was cursing his own self.

 

 

*****

 

           I always want to write a longer chapter but I can only write it this way. Please bear with it. I hope you enjoyed reading and I hope I made you smile once again. ^__^