Try Again

A Rooftop for the Dimples

 

        Another morning came. Sora went out of her room and what greeted her outside was a man doing push-ups in the living area.

        I’ll never get used to this. She thought. Early morning and this is already making her uneasy.

        Since they had no choice, she decided to make the most of a bad situation. She had to live with this man for five more weeks.

        She went to the kitchen.

        “Why didn’t you wash your dishes?” She became annoyed. “Please wash them right after you use them.”

        “Yes, princess.” Jungsoo wiped his sweat after doing the push-ups.

        “Stop calling me that.” She told him right away.

        “Then can you please stop hanging your laundry in the shower stall?” He asked her. “I can’t close the curtain.”

        “You can move them.”  She turned to face him and saw him soaking in his own sweat. His wet shirt moulded his muscled chest.

        “You’re the one who told me not to touch your things.”

       “You say that but you ate my ddeokbokki yesterday.” This guy is getting on her nerves. “We agreed to make our own food but you still ate the food I really tried hard to make.”

        “It wasn’t that good by the way.” Jungsoo answered her inaudibly.

        “And did you turn on the air conditioner again?” Her annoyance was gradually increasing.

        “It was so hot I couldn’t stand it.”

       “Then stop exercising indoors!” She went to the A/C to turn it off but Jungsoo was quicker. He stood behind her as he switches it off. She could feel his overpowering presence behind her. She could also smell the aftershave cream mixing with his sweat.

        “This,” She heaved a sigh. “We’re not going to make this work.”

        “Yeah. What’s with all your rules?” He agreed. “If you were more reasonable, we’d get along.”

        She whammed the wall and faced him.

        “So, it’s my fault?!” She raised her voice. “I never used to shout like this until I met this stubborn, body conscious maniac a week ago.”

        “I’ve never met a neat-freak like you, either.” Jungsoo retorded, feeling hopeless. “I don’t know how well brought up you are but you put away my magazines as soon as I take two steps away from them.”

        “What does it have to do with my upbringing?” She asked him, irritated.

        “And you’re a spoilt mama’s girl. You can’t do anything coz you’re worried about what your mum would think.”

        “Leave my mother out of this!” She was now mad.

        “You’re right.” He turned his back to her, ready to leave the conversation. “If your mum’s anything like you, I’d rather leave her out of my life.”

       She was stunned. My mum? Like me? She recalled what Jungsoo had just said. All your rules? Neat-freak? He  must be kidding me. Those are all my mum’s traits that I can’t stand.

          “Fine, whatever.” Still irritated, she grabbed a rag to wipe the table. “It’s your fault we can’t live together.”

          “My fault?!” Her housemate was shocked. “So, you’re throwing it back to me.”

          “I don’t change your radio station without asking.” She stated. “I don’t practice the violin in the middle of the night.”

           She proceeded to clean the sink. “And I also don’t use your razor without asking.”

          “Oh!” She paused for a while and faced him. “That one was an accident. I thought it was mine.”

          Jungsoo was left speechless. How can a girl say that so casually?

         “So I think we’ve both been in the wrong.” He hesitated to speak. He eyed her meekly. “If we can accept that, we can try to compromise.”

           He paused. Sora was taken aback by the sudden mood change.

           “Are you willing to give it another try?” Jungsoo asked her.

           She pondered. I guess it’s better to work out a way we can live with each other than trying to pretend the other doesn’t exist.

            “I’ll try.” She finally said.

            “Great.” He answered while opening the fridge. “We have a truce then.”

           “I’ll be late tonight. Probably about 11pm.” She operated the percolator to pour coffee in her cup. “I have band practice after work.”

            He didn’t answer and just continued in preparing breakfast.

            “I just thought if we knew each other’s schedules, we won’t have to worry for any reasons.” She had the feeling that she has to explain.

            “Yeah, that’s a good idea.” He finally spoke. “Eleven. Must be pretty hard for you, huh?”

            She didn’t have the chance to answer coz he continued speaking.

            “You’re really good too.” He was concentrating on finishing the egg he was frying. “I can’t help but listen when you’re practising at night.”

            That caught her attention.

            “Jungsoo ssi, are you complimenting me?”

           Jungsoo’s expression changed after realizing what he just said.

           “Anyway, you’re a real musician.” He sat, dismissing his remark like it was nothing.

           “If I’m a real musician, then you’re a real…” she paused, thinking for the right word to use. “Muscle man?”

           He chuckled. “If I can’t get a job I guess I can always be someone’s bodyguard.”

           “I’ve got an exam for today. I think it will work out.” He smiled.

           “Oh? You’ve got a dimple also.” She noticed.

           “Yeah.”

           “I hope your exam goes well.”

           “Thanks.” And he ate breakfast.

           I never thought he could smile so kindly, like a child.

 

 

* * * * *

I'm  looking forward to read your comments ^__^