Together

A Rooftop for the Dimples

       What?! An open-top car? You’ll get sunburnt darling, don’t do it.

       Why live there?! You're leaving me here?

       “For the first time in my 23 years on this earth,” she thought. The car’s tire screeched.

       She got off from the driver’s seat.

       “I’m finally free!” She exclaimed, eyes full of hope.

       “So this is where I’ll be living?” She talked to herself, eyeing every corner of the room with a smile in her face which made her dimple appear.

        She found a rooftop place south of Gwangjin district, overlooking the Han River. The apartment was not that big.  It had a bedroom, a bathroom and another small enclosed space which can be used as a stock room.

       “Mum must be waiting to hear from me,” she thought to herself while unpacking her things. “Honestly, she interferes with everything and worries… I know she means well but..”

        Her phone vibrated. She picked it up.

        “Soraaaa!!” The voice on the other line reverberated. It was too loud she moved away her ear from the receiver. “I was so worried! Did you get there ok? Have you introduced yourself to Mr. and Mrs. Kim?”

        “Mom,” she retorted. Frustration was in her voice. “Mr. and Mrs. Kim only own the building. They’re not going to care for me.”

        “But Sora-ya,”

        “I’ve decided to take care of myself on my own.” Sora told her mother. “I think this will be the best for the both of us.”

        “Will you call me often?” Her mother asked.

        “Of course. At least once a week.” She ended the call after saying goodbye.

        She wanted to live her own life away from her mother’s control. She got a job playing the violin for a symphony in Seoul and working part-time at a music store. She even arranged for her trust fund not to be accessed in order to stop her from relying on her family’s wealth.

        She is Kang Sora, only daughter of a rich, prominent family in Korea. Her father is a business tycoon. She seldom sees him for he always travels out of the country for business purposes. Her mother opted for them to stay in Busan, away from the busy life in Seoul. She lived her 23 years there having restrictions.

        Now, she wanted to live her life the way she wants. She went to sleep, optimistic in the freedom she just found.

        Morning came. Coming out of her room, she walked towards the kitchen in her pajamas. She went to open the fridge, yawning.

        “Huh?” She paused for a while, still dazed. The tart she left inside the fridge is gone. And the box of milk, it was already empty. “I’m sure I had more left.” She thought to herself.

        “Someone must have been here.” She was alarmed. “I’ve got to call the police. Oh! If Mum found out this happened...”

        She immediately moved to get her phone in her room when she knocked into something or someone?

        “Who the hell are you?” The man in front of her asked.

        “Who? Who?” Shocked, Sora wobbled trying to get away from him.

        “Who am I?” The man finished the question for her. “ Who are you?”

        “What are you doing in my apartment?” She was panicking.

        “What?” The man exclaimed, scratching the back of his neck in disbelief. “I can be in my own apartment whenever I want to.”

        “His apartment?!” It was an early morning surprise. She was appalled.  

        “I live here!” Sora told him with conviction. Her eyes widened. “Me!”

        The man paused for a while.

         “So, this rental agreement is fake then?” He asked her while rummaging through his bag. He gave her a stapled document. “It’s signed by me, Park Jungsoo and the landlord, Kim Myul.”

         “Whaaa..” Sora was shocked. “Kim Myul ssi? I rented this place from Mrs. Kim.”

          “What?” The man whose name is Park Jungsoo was also surprised.

          Both of them paused for a while. Thinking.

          “So…” Sora started, still baffled.

          “Mr. and Mrs. Kim rented the place out to both of us without realizing it.” Jungsoo came with a conclusion. “We’ll have to ask them to decide who stays.”

          “We can’t do that for a while.” Sora informed him. “Mr. and Mrs. Kim have gone away for six weeks.”

          “Six weeks?!” Jungsoo exclaimed. His voice went up.

          “Don’t shout.” Sora warned him, feeling irritated.

          “I’ve got to shout.” He retorted. “I’m telling you I’m not moving anywhere.”

          “I moved in here first.” She didn’t want to lose.

          “All right. Let’s look at our contracts.” He suggested, taking out the paper in his bag. “The person who paid the deposit first, stays.”

          “Fine.” Sora agreed. She smirked confidently.

          Then, they compared the date in their contracts. Someone had to lose.

          “I paid a day earlier.” Sora was ecstatically happy. “Well, I’ve got to go and start my shift at the store.”

          She noticed that Jungsoo’s face was now grim. Actually, none of this is his fault, either. She thought to herself.

          “Have you got somewhere else to stay?” She was concerned in the least.

          The man heaved a sigh.

           “I’ve just left the army, and just came back from the camp in Gyeonggi-do. I have no relatives here in Seoul.”

           “What about friends?” She asked.

           “He already moved in with his wife.”

           He looked at her. She just noticed how well built is his body which was darkened by the army life. His eyes are dark, his cheekbones are prominent, and his face is framed by the distinct jaw line.

           “If you give me my deposit and rent, I’ll leave right away.” He told her.

           “What?!” Sora was taken aback.

           “Can you not get your boss to give you your salary in advance?”

           “No!” She right away rejected the suggestion. “It’s my first day today.”

           “Better than me. I’ve got to start looking for a job.” He remarked.

           This is crazy. When will I finally be free? She put her hand in her forehead for she was starting to have a headache.

           “This is only a temporary solution but until they come back in six weeks' time,” he started to make a suggestion again. “Why don’t we live here together?”

           “Together?!”

           She knew she heard it right but she had to ask again. She was again taken aback by another silly offer from this man. 

 

* * * * *

So how was it? Hihihi~ The story is in a fast pace.