o5. Misunderstandings and Mishaps

Our Innocent Love Story ♥

It is the summer of 2008, Taeyeon is nineteen and Leeteuk is twenty.

“Oppa…”Taeyeon’s voice came over the phone. Leeteuk held it to his ear while packing some stuff to get ready.

“Yeah? You sound worried…”He replied, immediately crossing over to the other side to see. The petite girl – woman, now in her late teens – was staring back at him through her window.

“I am… it’s our first time not going to the same school. Especially since I’m in Gwangdong University of the Arts and you’re in Kihwa University…” She replied, turning around, letting her back face him.

“Don’t be… look, get ready now and I’ll talk to you while we’re outside, okay?”His concerned voice was seemingly exasperated with his eyebrows furrowing.

“Arasso…”Taeyeon sighed in reply, throwing her phone across the bed. She would miss him, and him, her. She just couldn’t imagine school without him – it was deemed impossible in her mind.

Trying hard not to think about such thoughts, she busied herself with picking out clothes to wear. After sorting through her endless closet of clothes, she chose a Delancy bloating blazer (dark navy with pink stripes), an A&F sleeved white shirt and light blue shorts lined with white stripes and holding the piece together with a leather asymmetric stitch belt. As for accessories she tied her hair up in a simple ponytail and put on ribbon flats (beige with a baby pink ribbon). Finally, she stuffed her lightweight books into a Prada Cervo antic shoulder bag.

Admiring her reflection in the mirror, she smiled. One more thing, she thought. Taking out some lipstick, she beautified her pale lips – it didn’t help that she was busy biting her lips the night before.

She took a sandwich and heated it up in the oven and while waiting, she drank a cup of fresh milk – she’d never gotten sick of it and drank it every morning without fail. With a ding, the sandwich (tuna and mayo) was ready and she stepped out of the house while munching on her sandwich.

“Hey there, beautiful.” Leeteuk teased. He was hanging by his porch, waiting for Taeyeon. The latter cracked a small, thin smile. “Come on, Taeng, don’t be so sad…” He realized the severity of the situation and walked over to her porch, studying her, watching her.

“Talk.” Taeyeon mumbled under her breath, eyes glazing over him.

“Look… I don’t want you to be upset because I’m not going to the same school as you. Our schools might not be near to each other but that’s not the point. You’ll see me around, and if it makes you feel better, Kim Taeyeon, I’ll come over every day and wait for you till you get home?” He offered.

She shook her head, dismissing the idea. “You’ll be waiting for a long time, ‘cos school never ends until like… five in the evening.”

“Hey, me too.” Leeteuk rolled his eyes. “The point is – I will meet you every morning and every night. I promise, okay?”

Seeing that she didn’t want to answer, he leaned over and kissed her. It seemed like an eternity ago that they last kissed. It felt as if it was the first time all over again, magical and tingling. She didn’t want to let go of him, so she kissed him harder. Eventually he pulled away, grabbing her shoulders.

“Kim Taeyeon, you really are in love with me, aren’t you?” Leeteuk chuckled, pulling her into a short hug, feeling Taeyeon nodding softly. “Come on. I’ll send you there.”

“No, you’ll be late, we go in opposite directions anyway, I’ll take a bike since I want to avoid morning traffic.” Taeyeon explained, hopping onto her bike and loading the bag into the storage compartment.

“Okay then, be careful and good luck on your first day.” Leeteuk seemed a little on his edge. He stared at her, as she got ready, and decided to give her another peck, this time on her forehead. “Be careful.”

And that was that.                       

--------------

“Who does that think she is?”

It was Victoria Song, the Queenka of Gwangdong Univ., and she didn’t like how Taeyeon was getting more popular than her on the first day. Her fellow Queenkas included the rebellious Amber, the beautifully menacing Krystal, the lovely yet sarcastic Sulli and not forgetting the icy and mean Luna. Five of them were the Queenkas, but – unfortunately – they weren’t the nice kind.

“All branded . She’s a . Forget her, we have better things to do, unnie.” Amber replied, glaring at their newest victim. “No… we have to do something to make sure she doesn’t dare to steal our place at the top. Sulli, go find out all her personal information – seduce the administrative master or whatever, and Luna, go be a dear and find out if she’s single or taken, and if she is I want her boyfriend’s phone number.”

Meanwhile, Taeyeon was finding new friends. She had met the two most popular (apart from the Queenkas) of course, people in the school – Tiffany Hwang and Jessica Jung. Jessica didn’t like to be referred to as Krystal’s sister, and they were never on good terms, so she didn’t mention Krystal.

“Gwangdong… How do I begin to explain it?” Tiffany and Jessica stood on either side of the new girl, eager to welcome her. With the new addition to the two already gorgeous girls, boys were staring at them and watching them closely and other girls were simply jealous, but they didn’t harbor any hate because they were really nice people who took great care of the bullied.

“Gwangdong’s mean and vicious – when the Queenkas are around. Just steer clear of them. But most of the time you’ll meet people like us. We’re nicer, and we definitely don’t bully. You can trust us. And do not, I repeat, do not give out your number to those Queenkas. They can do anything.” Jessica stated clearly.

“Okay, okay.” Her phone buzzed as she said so, and she was glad to see whom it was. How is it going? Of course, it was Leeteuk asking. She walked along, quickly typing on her phone, replying him. It’s going really good, I’ve met good friends. Apparently though, there are some mean Queenkas. Almost immediately, a reply came back. Be careful, Taeng. I have to go, call you later after school.

“Who was that?” Tiffany asked, excitement gleaming in her eyes. “Yeah, yeah, tell us!” Jessica smiled, her blonde hair bouncing about. “My boyfriend.” She replied.

“Oh cool… We were hoping you weren’t taken, because we have a great friend who’s totally cool and is still single…” The two girls shared a look. “It’s okay, that doesn’t mean I don’t want to meet him! Show him to me.” Taeyeon grinned.

“Alrighty!” They said in unison, linking arms and making their way to homeroom to look for him.

--------------

“So we have the same homeroom, here’s our chance. Oh hey, our plan is already in place, he’s already going to be meeting her…” Victoria chuckled darkly, taking her phone out, already clicking pictures.

“So… Wooyoung, this is Taeyeon.” Tiffany introduced, “And Taeng, this is Wooyoung.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” Wooyoung smiled, shaking her hand. “And me, you. I heard you’re still single?” Taeyeon replied. “Neh, but I’m looking forward to get a girlfriend this year.”

“Fany and Sica, aren’t you guys single?”

“Oh no, I’m taken by Lee Jinki. And Sica is deeply in love with Jonghyun, although they haven’t confessed yet.” Tiffany explained. “But if I wasn’t taken, I would date Wooyoung.”

“What’s that I hear?” The voice was none other of Lee Jinki. “Nothing, sweetie, just making a point.” Tiffany replied, receiving a kiss from the former on the cheek. Jessica made a face, and Tiffany stuck her tongue out. “You’re just jealous, besides, Jonghyun really likes you, why don’t you just tell him already!”

“I could help!” Onew – Jinki’s preferred name, though only Tiffany called him Jinki – offered. “Hey! Task at hand here…” Wooyoung muttered from the side, frowning at them.

“Oh, right. So yeah, we could find someone for you!” Jessica piped up. “You’ve been saying that for a long time now.” Wooyoung replied, crossing his arms. “Aigoo. It’s alright, I’ll go eat lunch with you later, okay?” Taeyeon smiled and he agreed.

“See? I’m magic. I can make things work even if I’m not around.” Onew chuckled. “Yeah, yeah…” Jessica replied.

--------------

“So, Wooyoung, what’s your ideal type?” Taeyeon asked.

“I don’t exactly have one, but you know, she has to be pretty, I mean people are always saying how looks don’t matter but in the end they do. But of course, that’s not the most important. She has to have a big heart and really, really kind and caring…” Wooyoung trailed off, looking at Taeyeon, who was busy scribbling it down.

“Don’t ask, just… talk.” Taeyeon replied without looking at him. They were along the hallway, with Taeyeon leaning against a locker.

Wooyoung stepped over and kissed her. Just one kiss, he’d promised himself, because Taeyeon was so beautiful.

“Jang…. Wooyoung…”

Her heart stopped.

Click.