1o. Rewind: The Meadow

Our Innocent Love Story ♥

It is the summer of 2005, Taeyeon is sixteen and Leeteuk is seventeen.

He walked out of the school grounds and turned towards the street, tightening the scarf he was wearing around his neck, and admiring the clouds. He didn’t walk far before a girl came into view. She was petite, and sat on the sidewalk, listening to music while kicking sand from the ground. He laughed.

“A pretty girl like you shouldn’t be waiting on the sidewalk.” Leeteuk smiled and took her headphones out of her ears, while kneeling in front of her.

“You were the one who came out of school late in the first place. I’ve been waiting for you. You said you’d be out by three. But it’s three forty-five.” Taeyeon replied, taking her headphones back and putting them on, standing up and dusting the sand off her uniform.

Before he had a chance to say anything more, she turned and walked ahead, folding her arms as she nodded her head to the beat of the song. Leeteuk bit his lip and stood up, catching up beside her. She noticed, and distanced herself by walking faster.

He jogged a little and then picked her up bridal style. “Put me down, Leeteuk!” She yelled, hitting his chest – which felt like feather-like touches to him. Chuckling, he shook his head.

“Yah! Put me down, Park Jungsu!” She yelled again, and tried to squirm out of his hold, but failed, of course. Leeteuk pecked her lips.

“Sorry I was late… I had basketball practice that ran a little off schedule. Don’t be mad at me, please?” Leeteuk watched as her expression softened. She kept her headphones in her bag and reached up to touch his face.

She laughed softly, snuggling close to his chest, “I’m not mad anymore. I can’t possibly stay mad at you for too long. But this is on one condition…”

“Anything,” Leeteuk said, “anything for my beautiful angel.”

Taeyeon blushed. “Take me to the meadow.”

He nodded, and turned back, walking into another one of those deserted paths. It didn’t take long for them to reach a clearing. Then he walked up a little along the hill, and they reached their desired destination.

“Here we are.” He announced and set her down carefully. Leeteuk noticed that her teeth were chattering slightly and took off his coat, wrapping it around her.

Taeyeon smiled, holding his hand as they walked towards the clover meadow. Moments later she sat down on the meadow, and he sat down next to her. Leeteuk grabbed a long grass blade from beside him and broke it into two. He folded two rings with the blade and handed one to Taeyeon.

She wore it on her fourth finger of her left hand, smiling. “Remember the first time we did this?” She asked, admiring the ‘ring’ in the sunlight. “That was such a long time ago.” He replied, putting on the ‘ring’ as well.

“You’ve changed since then. You’re not just that little boy I knew from before.” Taeyeon said softly, looking into the distance. In that moment they were both sentimental, thinking back to those times. And then he held her hand, kissing the top of her head.

“Is that a bad thing? Because you sound like you don’t like that change.” He looked at her, lifting her chin. She met his gaze and shook her head slowly.

“It’s not that I don’t like it… it’s just… sometimes I don’t want things to move so fast, y’know? It’s like we’re all growing up too fast. Sometimes… I miss that little boy who gave me sweets…” She trailed off, dropping her head so her hair covered the side of her face.

He smiled. “That’s where you’re wrong. We all have the inner child in us, always. And one thing won’t ever change, even if the world turns upside down. I’ll always love you. And you only… no one else…”

Leeteuk opened her palm and placed something on it. Taeyeon looked over, and there it was. The very same milk caramel sweet he used to always give her. She smiled brightly immediately, closing her palm and hugging him tightly.

“How did you get this?” She asked, widening her eyes. “I thought they ran out years ago.”

“Umma told me where she got them… And I made a trip down to get them. I thought you’d like them again. And well… Now I just carry one every where I go with you just in case I find the situation appropriate –”

“You are amazing, Teuk. You really are.” She cut him off, kissing his nose.

“Nuh uh. I'm not as amazing as you are.” He replied, unwrapping the sweet and popping it into .

“No, you are.” She laughed and replied, chewing the sweet slowly, relishing the taste.

You are.” Leeteuk lifted her and placed her on his lap, looking into her eyes seriously. Taeyeon smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck. “We both are, ‘kay?”

“I’m okay with that.”