Chapter 7

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The water was freezing cold in the last days of October, therefore the lack of people cruising and going on vacations. The lack of people entailed to the stillness of the water, the waves limited in intensity. By the shore were the students of Seoul University, exhausted from the day's activities, also enjoying roasted marshmallows by the campfire. Tension feels the air for some reason.

 

"Hey, let's talk," Dong Hae receives a text and looks up from his phone, facing his best friend who was grinning opposite him.

 

.........

 

"I saw that you had no bad intentions, that's great," Hyuk Jae states when they settle themselves onto one of the secluded areas in the resort, not those secluded areas where bad things happen though.

 

"Why would I? Have bad intentions?" Dong Hae asks, sitting on top of one of the stools and Hyuk Jae does the same.

 

"I thought you were going to be like one of those stalkers, stalking Jessica. I thought I lost my best friend, Hae, but I was wrong."

 

"Of course you wouldn't lose me. We've been through so much," Dong Hae chuckles.

 

"Oh, and I heard you and Yoona are a thing now."

 

"Oh, about that."

 

.........

 

Dong Hae has difficulty falling asleep when he thinks back to what exactly happened moments before the students finally found their calm and decided to just start a campfire to keep themselves warm during a chilly October night. He rolls in bed, reminiscing whatever happened a few hours ago doing their team building activities.

 

Was reminiscing even the right term to name memories that were meant to be forgotten? Dong Hae wasn't certain.

 

His breath hitched when he remembers how he landed on top of her during a game of "Tug-of-War with a Twist", a name the host of the events chose to give the original game "Tug-of-War." His eyes fixated on hers, as cliché as it sounded, their faces were inches apart and he could feel his heart beat almost blend with hers, both seeming to beat too fast and too loud, but not audible to anyone else, but them. However, the heart's rate declines in its speed and audibility when Dong Hae is sent rolling to the ground, forced by an external force to lay off Jessica who was still perplexed by the sudden turn of events.

 

Dong Hae does not clearly remember what exactly happened after that, all he could recollect were the echoes of his girlfriend's screams and curses towards the still perplexed Jessica. Dong Hae does not get to defend any of them, contrasting the stereotypical events prevailing in different Korean dramas and films of the category "Chick flick." Dong Hae did not think about buying any souvenir from the shop a while ago, but Hyuk Jae teases how this event could become a pretty cool remembrance or souvenir at the place, Dong Hae pretends not to listen.

 

 

Another thing confuses Dong Hae to the brim though.

 

"Hyuk Jae, did you, by chance change your phone number?"

 

 "Nope."

 

 

 

.........

 

 

"Jessica," he finally speaks after an awkward span of time without anyone breaking the ice, which Dong Hae thought was impossible to break, it being thrice his size and weight. Jessica does not talk, but only looks at him, he continues, "I'm sorry about yesterday, I-"

                                    

 

 

"It's okay, I know you didn't mean it to happen," she says with a dull expression on her face before turning away to put her earphones on.

 

 

 

Just when Dong Hae thought everything was finally 'okay' between them, something just happens to mess them up. Oh, fate, do you hate me that much? Dong Hae recites an apostrophe in his head.

 

 

 

"What the?" Jessica exclaims, unintentionally interrupting Dong Hae's moment of poetry-writing inside his head.

 

 

 

Dong Hae turns to see whatever Jessica was looking at, positioning himself in her shoes to find out what caused Jessica's surprise and he repeats whatever Jessica just uttered, with Jessica perceiving his exclamation as mockery.

 

 

 

 

"Did you really have to mock me?" she glares at the taller and Dong Hae laughs nervously.

 

 

 

"No I didn't, but really! Where's our bus?!" Dong Hae defends and at the same time yells.

 

 

 

"I don't know, why are you asking me?"

 

 

 

"I wasn't asking you."

 

 

 

Moments before they were stuck in this state of being, Dong Hae had to accompany Jessica to the restroom. Being partners, they had to follow rule Number 1, Stick Together. It sounded like they were in elementary, but who were they to complain when they were in a place none of them really knew?

 

 

 

"Do you know how to get home? By chance?" Dong Hae asks and Jessica shrugs.

 

 

 

"I've never really tried riding public transport before," Jessica shrugs.

 

 

 

"Well you do have a phone right?" Dong Hae asks and Jessica rummages through her bag and successfully pulls out her phone. She dials out a number and for moments, she doesn't look too pleased, her eyebrows furrowed in frustration, curse words mouthed. "What's the matter?"

 

 

“There’s no signal around this area,” she says out of annoyance and Dong Hae grunts, “Come on,” grabbing her right hand and taking her somewhere.

 

 

Dong Hae ignores her incessant objections of, “Where are you taking me?” and continues walking until a bus stop is in view.

 

 

“Here,” Dong Hae unlat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter