Chapter 6

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm officially dead, Hyuk," was the first thing he says when the person on the opposite line picked up the phone.

 

"Dead. Dead how? But you're still talking to me," the other replied, full of sarcasm in his tone.

 

Donghae took a long breath before giving HyukJae his answer, "It's just," he pinches his nose and closes his eyes in frustration, "She never comes back to the comfort room ever since I forgot to come early that time she told me to."

 

The other person scoffed and asks in disbelief, "Hae, I don't even understand why you're so concerned with Jessica. I thought you said we were going to pull out on that thing we planned about? The operation 'Find Out if Jessica is Sooyeon'?"

 

"I know I said that, HyukJae, but Jessica is Jessica. I want her to see me as her friend. I don't want to keep this friendship, if that's even what you call it, "one-sided'. I want a change, dude. I just want her to give me that."

 

"Whatever it is you're trying to achieve, just know that I don't support you on this one. I'm sorry Hae, but I think you're getting overboard and overly attached to that Jessica girl," he sighs, "Anyway. I gotta go. I'll talk to you tomorrow, I guess?" his tone was full of qualm, of uncertainty and Donghae notices, but chooses not to point out.

 

Before Donghae could even budge, the phone call ends with a thin line, noting the call's finale. Donghae sighs and thinks, thinks to the point that he's suddenly frustrated with himself. He ponders on HyukJae's words and decides that everything he said, although they were his opinion, were awkwardly factual and Donghae feels disappointment grow. He hates himself now, because he lost his best friend, because of someone he barely even knows; because of someone who pushes him away.

 

He checks the time and realizes the late hour and he's still fully awake. He hears his bed calling him to sleep and he lays on it, accepting its invitation, but the invitation is long forgotten, as well as Donghae's intention to sleep. He continues to reflect on his best friend's words and it bugs him for the whole night long. It seems as though HyukJae's words affected Donghae even in his slumber.

 

"Come with me," he hears a voice from room, "Comfort me."

 

And he follows, but another voice came, as though it belonged to a man, a man he knew all his life. "Come with me," the voice said and Donghae is torn and the ground is about to break. The ground below him shakes and he follows its movement.

 

"You need to make a choice," another voice entered the scene and Donghae becomes even more confused.

 

But, Donghae opens his eyes and finds himself on top of his own bed in his own bedroom and realizes it was all a dream. A dream he has never had before and has no plan of having again. He used to have nightmares of Sooyeon, but this was his worst, he believed. He checks his clock to see what time it was and sighs heavily, 5:38, it said; and Donghae got up to shower and prepare for the long day ahead.

 

.............................

 

HyukJae and Donghae's friendship gives in after their conversation nights before. A long time has passed and Donghae never returned to the comfort room, also known as the reason of Hyukjae's withdrawal from his and Donghae's friendship. Meanwhile, Donghae is standing inside the school's balcony, holding a rose in his hand as he nervously paces back and forth, memorizing his to-be-said speech. He closes his eyes and heaves a long sigh.

 

"Donghae?" he hears a familiar voice and his heart skips a beat.

 

She's here, he thinks and gives the girl who just called him a warm, yet sweet smile. The other returns his smile, before walking towards him timidly.

 

"What is all this?" she asks as she gives him a knowing look. Eyeing his arms, which were positioned behind him, "What is that you're holding?"

 

Donghae giggles at her question, before he sweetly carresses her hair and hands her the rose, "This is for you."

 

And she laughs, "Okay, okay. Just tell me what you want to say. Do you need anything from me?"

 

Donghae smiles sheepishly before he starts to speak, "We've been together for years now and I'm glad you never had the intention to leave me alone, even if I'm a really bad person," and she mouths, 'You're not bad,' and he laughs before continuing, "But because of all these years we've been together, not only loving you as a friend developed inside me, but something even more than that. I don't know, maybe it's because you're too pretty? Every single time you smile, my heart starts blowing up fireworks everywhere and now I understand the feeling of love, of loving someone. Now, I'm not good with speeches, so Yoong, will you be my girlfriend?"

 

Yoona smiles before pressing her lips onto his. "Yes!" she screams, before pulling him into another sweet, innocent kiss. Donghae then pulled her into an embrace and buried his face in her hair.

 

.....................

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter