A Freaky Friday

The Replacement Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thursday Evening

Taemin lay on the hammock between two willow trees in his mansion's backyard. This was a good day. The sun was shining despite it being close to six in the evening, the birds were still chirping, the breeze was remarkable. He stared up at the sky, particulary at the clouds, trying to imagine them taking the form of animals. He didn't get to act like a kid a lot anymore.

His view was blocked soon, however, by a tall figure. The face was hidden by shadows cast by the figure's hood, the piercing eyes covered by a pair of sunglasses. Mystery radiated from the body and Taemin loved it. It was one of the qualities that had drawn him to this person in the first place. He smiled at the figure, moving over a little to make room for him. The tall one shook his head, but his plump lips curved into a sly, devious smile.

"I'm happy to see you," Taemin admitted, swinging the hammock with the movement of his body.

"And I'm always happy to see you," was the reply. The sunglasses were taken off, the hood pulled back.

"Have anything for me, Minho?" Taemin asked, sitting up.

Minho reached into the pocket of his hoodie, revealing his cell phone. He flipped the vintage mechanism open, pressing some buttons to search for a file. When he found it, he turned the screen to face Taemin. Mr. Lee's son's eyes doubled their size as he stared at the photograph, their gaze then turning to Minho. The former criminal mastermind chuckled.

"Don't tell me you've never seen two people's lips locked together." He leaned in closer to the younger. "We do it all the time."

"That's not what's shocking to me, idiot!" Taemin hissed, pushing Minho away and grabbing the phone. He stared hard at the photograph. "It's definitely Jongin. I've been around that motherer for long enough to know his body. But this kid," he pointed to the second person in the photo, beneath Kai, "I don't know who he is." He closed the phone and it at Minho, his breaths producing a growl deep within his throat.

Minho sighed. Taemin was obviously determined to find out who the other person with Kai was and would send Minho to do the research. He didn't mind; he'd do anything for Taemin. You name it, Minho would do it. If Taemin told him to jump off a cliff, Minho would follow through with the order without a second thought. 

Mr. Lee's son crossed his legs Middle Eastern style, tapping his knees with his fingers. Minho his lips and took Taemin's hand into his, the back of it with his thumb. Taemin was too lost in thought to notice what the other was doing. It was when Minho pressed his lips to the younger's neck that Taemin gasped, his eyes closing automatically. Minho bit on the skin lower on the boy's neck, marking Taemin as his in a spot that wasn't revealing and wouldn't be visible. Taemin was as pure as Kai to the public, and it had to stay that way. For the public, at least.

"Stop," Taemin breathed. Minho disconnected the contact, looking away, frustrated. "Find out who that guy with Jongin is. For me."

The 'for me' did it. Minho nodded, turning his cheek to the rich boy. He used to be as rich as Taemin with the amount of money he had laundered a few years ago, but someone had found him out. He didn't know who it had been, but whoever it was had gotten him into jail. Taemin bit his bottom lip and gave Minho a peck on the cheek to cheer him up. Smiling, Minho looked back at him, eyes twinkling.

"Go," Taemin ordered. "And do not fail me."

"Do I ever?" Minho asked, putting on his sunglasses and hood again. The shadows materialized again on his face and Taemin's breath hitched. He loved the bad boy despite the coldness he projected at him.

Minho left the yard discreetly, making no sound like a bobcat. Noone but Taemin saw him. He was a figure in the shadows, a lurker in the dark. He was Taemin's dark angel. And Taemin, with his charming smile and sweet laugh, was Minho's jewel. The jewel he had to keep happy. To keep shining with delight. And he'd do anything to make that happen.

~*~*~ 

"Are they back yet?" Joonmyun asked, staring out the window through the blinds covering it. Jongdae looked through another window on the other side of Kai's room. He shook his head.

"I don't see them. I think Baekhyun would've called us and told him he was coming with them."

Joonmyun nodded in agreement, removing his hand holding the blinds open. They shut, closing off any sunlight radiating into the room. The boss' assistant fiddled with his fingers, teeth in his lip, waiting. He was nervous that Mr. Kim would come home before Kai and Kyungsoo. What would they do then? Kyungsoo couldn't just waltz in there with the man of the house walking around!

The young man lowered his head, holding his temple with both hands as his elbows rested on his knees. Jongdae looked back at him, smiling softly. He approached the other, sitting down beside him and the window. Joonmyun lifted his head when he felt Jongdae's leg brush against his. The butler kissed his cheek gently, as if he were afraid his love would break. He himself was a very gentle man, being extra careful with everything he touched. Joonmyun was no exception.

Jongdae sprang up when he heard a knock on the closed door, straightening out his suit and rushed to the corner. His back straightened out, he stood like a body guard, motionless. Mr. Kim entered the room, taking a look around for his son. Joonmyun, still sitting, died on the inside. Mr. Kim walked up to Jongdae, the boy giving him a bow as he got closer. The boss waved it off as if it meant nothing to him.

"Where is Kai? I need to speak with him."

Joonmyun stood up slowly, trembling all over. "He's absent right now, sir, as you can see. If I'm not mistakened, he's...with Lay, that is, Yixing."

"The Chinese boy?"

"Yes, sir."

Mr. Kim nodded then looked at Jongdae, eyebrows slanted downwards. "Stop standing like a wooden plank, boy, and go do something useful!" He slapped Jongdae hard across the cheek, the sound echoing through the room because of its tall ceiling. Jongdae did not flinch and tried hard to hold back the tears. His flawless cheek was now covered in a deep shade of red, all his blood rushing to the bruise.

Joonmyun had never seen Mr. Kim's temper escalate so quickly or seriously. He had been in the room when the boss could scream at someone or smack them, but not this roughly. It was the first time he had caused an employee to be on the verge of tears, as Jongdae's bottom lip quivered and he started to sniffle. Usually, Joonmyun would not say a word. But this time, he would not remain silent. 

"He can't do anything if Jongin isn't here, sir! It's pointless for the employee to work without the employer!" His hands balled into fists.

Mr. Kim turned towards Joonmyun. "Are you questioning my authority, boy? Do you want to lose this job?" Joonmyun shook his head, biting down onto his bottom lip harshly. "Then silence. Not one word. I don't even want to hear you breathing. Have Jongin come to my room when he gets home."

He exited the room. Both boys heard him slam his office door shut down the hall. Jongdae ran to Joonmyun and fell into his arms, crying so hard he choked on his own sobs. Joonmyun rocked him back and forth, hoping Kai would come home soon. Whatever Mr. Kim needed him for was obviously important, and the son's absence was getting on the father's nerves. It wasn't fair how Mr. Kim was taking his anger out on innocent people, though.

The two boys awaited the couple's return in eachother's arms, Jongdae softly crying into Joonmyun's neck. When Kai and Kyungsoo finally got back, this time without Baekhyun, they weren't prepared for the butler's tears. He was a tranquil person, not one to display emotions, so thus this was a new side of him. Kyungsoo ran to his aid, rubbing the boy's back. Kai stood shocked near the doorway, jaw dropped. He shook his head at Joonmyun with a puzzled look upon his faultless face, trying to apprehend what was going on.

Joonmyun gestured towards the door with his hand, showing Kai that he had to leave. The son understood he was being awaited by the father. He left for Mr. Kim's office instantly, rushing down the hall. Running both hands through his hair at the closed door, Kai slowly twisted the knob and went inside. Mr. Kim sat at his desk, filling in paperwork. He tore his gaze for a moment to confirm that Kai had come in, then pointed to the armchair in front of the desk. Kai sat down.

"I called you here because I have something important to tell you," Mr. Kim started, flipping his paper over to begin the backside after finishing the front.

"Everything that has to do with you or the business is important, father," Kai muttered. "More important than me or my needs."

Mr. Kim pretended not to hear the last part. His eyes never looked at his son. "I'm leaving for a business trip to Shanghai tomorrow. And you are coming with me. I don't want any arguments."

No! Kai wanted to scream. I'm not leaving Kyungsoo! You can't make me! But he dared not disobey his father. "Yes, sir. Can I take D.O with me?"

Mr. Kim dropped his pen and covered his face with his hands. How had his son become so devoted to an inanimate object?! It couldn't even speak let alone breathe! Why could Kai not see that?? Nevertheless, if that could get the boy to shut up for the next three days when he wasn't scheduled for photo shoots (which he would be) it didn't matter to Mr. Kim. He nodded, sighing, and picked up his pen. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he waved for Kai to get out, eyes once again on the paper.

Kai ran back to his room. Kyungsoo was there, noone else with him. Joonmyun and Jongdae had left sometime during his quick conversation with his father. Kyungsoo sat in his case, legs outstretched in front of him. The doll gazed at Kai with dreamy eyes, smiling softly at him. Kai approached him, sitting down beside his doll. Its head fell upon his shoulder. Kai felt his heart rate increase.

"We're leaving for China tomorrow," Kai told Kyungsoo, wrapping his arms around the boy and placing his chin on top of the other's head. "You're coming with us. As D.O. So unfortunately, that means you'll have to ride in the cargo area. With the baggage. And the dogs."

"Lucky me," Kyungsoo mumbled. Kai chuckled, rubbing the older's arm which his hand was on.

"Don't worry. I'm sure it won't be so bad."

"Kai," Kyungsoo started, pushing himself away, "dogs. Baggage. Dogs and baggage. Me. Not a good combination. Especially since I'm allergic to dogs."

Kai's eyes widened and he bit his lip, lost in thought. "I don't know what else to do." He reached out for Kyungsoo again, and the other fell into his arms, burying his face in the other's chest.

Kyungsoo sighed. "To the cargo area with me, then."

~*~*~

Friday Morning

Kyungsoo stood still in the glass case once belonging to the lifeless D.O. He made no noise, barely breathed, and did not blink. Joonmyun and Jongdae pushed the case towards the door, breathing heavily from the effort. This was impossible. Kyungsoo was even heavier than D.O had been despite his wiry frame. Jongdae let go first and leaned against the back, gasping for air, his butler suit drenched in sweat.

Kyungsoo got out, making his way around to look at the two boys. They looked back at him, out of breath, ready to collapse from exhaustion. The damn case weighed a ton, and Kyungsoo's weight wasn't helping. The doll bit his lip.

"Maybe you guys should just carry me out. I mean, why would you want to take the entire case to Shanghai?"

"Because," Joomyun gasped, "at the airport, they'll want to inspect you. And if they lay their hands on you, they'll know you're a live person, not a porcelain doll. It's best you stay in the case."

Kyungsoo nodded in understanding, then leaned against the back of the case. He pushed as hard as he could, using his legs, helping the other two boys push it out the door. They were right, it was extremely heavy. All three young men fell down onto their bums after finally forcing it out. Kai walked past them, backpack slung over his shoulder, ready for the trip. He looked at the three boys, shaking his head.

"Get up, guys! We don't have time to lay around! Come on, doll face!" He took Kyungsoo by the hand and helped him back into the case. It took every single drop of energy from Kyungsoo to stand up straight. Joonmyun and Jongdae remained on the floor, hugging eachother on the carpeted surface. Kai chuckled and pushed the case effortlessly towards the elevator. Kyungsoo's eyes widened. There was an elevator?!?!

 As soon as the elevator door closed, Kai swung the case door open and got in with Kyungsoo. 

"Kai, sweet Jesus, what are you doing?!"

Kai didn't answer with words. His lips met Kyungsoo's neck, his teeth nipping at the doll's jaw. Kyungsoo's eyes bulged from their sockets, soon losing himself in the pleasure that was Kai's mouth. Kai pressed himself against his doll, attacking the boy's lips. Their tongues fought for a while for dominance until the bell of the elevator dinged. Kai scrambled out of the case, shutting its door just as the elevator one opened.

Maids were awaiting him at the entrance, and they bowed as Kai pulled the case out of the elevator. He rolled his eyes at their formality. It was getting more annoying than honorable. Baekhyun met him at the front door and helped him pull the case to the van driving them to the airport. They heaved it up and inside, Kyungsoo stumbling inside and crashing against the wall as they set him down. Kai winked at him before shutting the van's door and running to get into the front to sit beside his father.

Kyungsoo had no seatbelt. That worried him treamendously. He was shaken around as the van pulled out of the driveway, knocking once again into the sides of the case. He sat down, thinking that that would make it better. As soon as the van got onto the highway, he was tossed this way and that despite his position, his head crashing against the case. He whimpered, wanting Kai. Kai would hold him and keep him safe like he always did.

The speed of the vehicle was increased even more and Kyungsoo was on the verge of vomiting. He clamped a hand over his mouth to hold in everything Kai had fed him earlier that morning. He just wanted to get to the airport and escape this four wheeled hell. Baekhyun seemed to read his mind since he took a shortcut on Kyungsoo's behalf, assuming in his driver's seat that the doll was not too happy in the back. Fifteen minutes later, they were at the airport.

Kai scurried out first, running to the back to retrieve Kyungsoo. He opened the van's back door to see Kyungsoo's cheeks puffed out as if he was holding something in his mouth. Understanding, the boss' son searched for something, anything that Kyungsoo could use to release the contents in his mouth. Smirking, he picked up one of his father's bags and opened it, holding it out to Kyungsoo.

"Go for it."

Kyungsoo looked at him with eyes as big as saucers, shaking his head. There was no way he was going to ruin Mr. Kim's possessions, especially since the man was rich enough to hire a forensic expert who could identify who the vomit belonged to. But his cheeks were close to bursting and Kai was insisting, so Kyungsoo had to choice but to grab the bag, turn around so Kai wouldn't see, and let everything out into it. He zipped it up and turned back around to face his master, leaning against the back of the case for support. Kai took the bag gently and tossed Kyungsoo a pack of gum.

Chewing discreetly on a strip of the mint flavored gum, Kyungsoo stood still as Kai and Baekhyun pushed the case towards the airport. This would have been so much easier if they were just going to take one of Mr. Kim's private jets! But of course, the boss would do anything to conserve money, and if that meant having to fly on a public plane then so be it. Kyungsoo felt bad for the two struggling boys as well as for himself. All eyes were on him as soon as they entered the airport. Everyone wanted to take a glimpse at Kim Jongin's famous D.O, the doll which, people said, was not only his most prizest possession, but was worth millions. Kyungsoo didn't feel expensive.

Everyone made their way to security. Kai didn't understand why Joonmyun wasn't coming. It was just him and his father who ended up in line, with Baekhyun leaving for the mansion and Kyungsoo not supposed to be a human at all. Mr. Kim made his way in front of the line, cutting everyone before him, Kai lagging behind with the case. Fumbling to extract his passport, Kai presented it to the guard, ignoring the fact that people were starting to take pictures of him and his father. The guard checked the passport's validity then handed it back to the boss' son, calling for the next person. He could give a rat's patootie if he had just inspected Kim Jongin's passport.

They passed by security, with the ladies insisting that Kai do a full body scan. Kyungsoo gritted his teeth as he watched Kai pass through it, the females all gathered around to see the results on the screen. Kai chuckled at them then burst out laughing when he saw Kyungsoo's jealous face. The doll glared at him, quickly scrunched his nose, then stood still. Kai stopped at the do

Please log in to read the full chapter