A Truthful Tuesday

The Replacement Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday Evening

Lay didn't know what was happening. One minute he was being dragged by the neck and the next he's in the trunk of a car. His hands were tied behind his back, the ropes secured on tightly to the point they cut into his flesh. There was something in his mouth that he assumed was a sock to prevent anyone for hearing his screaming. His legs were bound together around the ankles. The only two senses he was still able to truly use were his ears and eyes. But even his eyes weren't a large help as he lay in the darkness of the back of his kidnapper's car.

Lay tried to replay the way the kidnapping had taken place. It had happended hours ago, he was sure of that. Sometime in the morning. It was probably evening already judging by the amount of time he had spent in here. He had been walking on the sidewalk in broad daylight. Who would even dare to abduct someone in broad daylight? Whoever his kidnapper was, they were brave. He gave them that.

He was tall. Lay had seen that when he'd momentarily turned to look at him before being thrown in here like a sack of potatoes. He had been wearing sunglasses, but from the close proximity Lay had been able to define large, frog like eyes behind the lenses. The cheeks were a bit sunk in and the lips plump. A hood had best over the person's head in an attempt to hide their face with shadows.

Lay knew he saw that face was somewhere. He was having the strangest feeling of déja vu. The Chinese boy felt it in the pit of his stomach. Nevertheless, his kidnapper's identity didn't matter to him right now. All that mattered was his safety and how on earth he was going to get out of this mess.

He felt the car slow down then stop. Lay lifted his head when he heard the driver's door open. The sound of the person's footsteps were audible too as they made their way around to the back to the trunk. With the turning of the key and the click of the lock, the hood was lifted. Sunshine struck Lay hard. He hadn't expected it to be this bright in the evening. His eyes watered from the sudden lighting change.

His kidnapper helped him out of the trunk. To Lay's surprise, the young man was taking on a more gentle approach as he pulled the Chinese out. He suddenly held him delicately as if he was extremely fragile, ready to break at any moment. It was different than when his hands were around Lay's neck. Either way, Lay knew this kid could not be trusted.

Lay took a look around to try to figure out where they were. Good heavens, they were in the woods. There were trees everywhere, the sun not being able to pierce through the leaves of the canopy in some areas. Lay had a feeling he would be unfortunate enough to be dragged into those areas of darkness. He could kiss the sun goodbye.

The tall boy pushed him gently by the shoulders and he had no choice but to walk in the direction he was directed into. He had to shuffle since his legs were bound together at the bottom. His kidnapper sighed and leaned down to untie his ankles, wagging a finger at Lay as if to tell him not to run. Lay wouldn't dream to try to run away. His kidnapper's legs were long and lean. He was obviously athletic and with legs that length, would catch up to Lay in no time.

Lay was soon ordered to go inside some little hut. It looked like someone like a hermit would live here. On the outside it looked aged and its structure faulty. Lay was surprised how it didn't cave in on itself when he and his 'companion' walked in and the door was slammed behind them. He swore the entire frame of the hut trembled.

Lay's eyes once again roamed around his surroundings. Their gaze rested upon someone very familiar sitting in an armchair near a small window. Whatever sunshine was coming in illuminated their face. Lay was able to see Lee Taemin perfectly. And for once in his life, Lay sobbed with fear.

"Now, now, Yixing." Taemin stood up and walked over to him. "Minho, didn't I tell you to be kind to Yixing. I said invite him here, not kidnap him."

"Sorry," Minho mumbled, bowing. Trust Taemin to turn things on him and make him seem like the bad guy. He distinctly remembered him being the one to offer to invite the Chinese boy. Taemin had been the one who suggested the kidnapping.

Lay bawled as Taemin sat him down in the chair he himself had been previously sitting in. He blubbered because of the gag, choking on his own spit since it couldn't go anywhere. Minho reached over to take it out of the boy's mouth but Taemin swatted his hand away. He wanted the Chinese to suffer a bit more before he interrogated him.

After a few hundred more tears, Taemin ripped the gag from Lay's mouth. The older coughed a few times, his caught saliva running down his chin and pooling on his lap. Shaking his head, Taemin wiped it off with a napkin he found on a nearby table. He smirked a little when he saw the great bruise on Lay's cheek. How marvelous. He had done that.

"Don't cry, Yixing," Taemin cooed. "I didn't expect you to have quite a scare. I simply wanted to speak with you about a little matter we discussed earlier. I'm sure you remember what that was about."

Lay's mind reflected back to the dinner he had with Taemin back at the fancy restaurant as Minho tied him to the chair he was sitting in. Mr. Lee's son had persistently wanted to know who was with Kai. Who was Kai's lover. His boyfriend. His life.

Of course, Lay could open his mouth and tell Taemin everything. That would certainly get him out of here without another bruise on his face---or worse. But then there was the fear of what would happen to Kyungsoo if he was exposed. No, Lay wouldn't risk it. He shook his head as a response to Taemin's question. Taemin pouted.

"You don't remember our conversation? Back at the restaurant. No matter, I'll refresh your memory. But first, tell me, Yixing. How are you, hm? Your health? I sincerely apologize for letting my temper explode at you like that and give you this."

Taemin fingertips brushed against the bruise lightly. Lay's breath hitched. He wondered if Taemin's fingers were dipped in some sort of poison. The feeling of his skin on Lay's was remarkable, and he wanted it back when the younger pulled away. Minho gritted his teeth in envy.

"It's fine," Lay muttered, blushing madly. Taemin scooted over to him.

"And your family back in China? You do have a family, don't you, Lay?" He breathed the Chinese boy's name, and his hand ended up on his knee. Minho pursed his lips. 

"I d-do..."

"Anyone special in your life? Someone who gives you butterflies in the pit of your stomach?"

Lay was feeling butterflies just from sitting here. He was terrified! He knew that Taemin meant the butterflies which flutter around when he's near the one he loves. But as much as Lay wanted to blurt out Do Kyungsoo, he kept his mouth shut. All Taemin got was a shake of the head.

"Such a pretty boy like you doesn't have someone to love him? I don't believe it! This world is so unfair sometimes, don't you think so?"

Lay nodded. It wasn't fair sometimes. A lot of times. Everytime. To him at least.

"You know what else isn't fair, Lay?" Taemin asked, motioning for Minho to step closer and hand him something. Lay saw a phone exchanged between them. "When you're being lied to. Over and over again."

Minho huffed despite himself. Taemin shouldn't be so cocky. The rich boy basically loved on lies. He wove new ones everyday. If Minho had a string of yarn for every lie that Taemin had ever created, he'd be able to make quilt. A quilt which would probably be able to blanket half the population in Seoul. There were over 10 million people in Seoul.

"I know you were lying to me back in the restaurant," Taemin hissed, his kind act quickly diminishing. "And I have a feeling you're lying now." He flipped the phone open and pressed some buttons to find the picture he was looking for. When he finally did, he turned the screen towards Lay. Tears began to sting at the heart broken boy's eyes.

Kai and Kyungsoo in the moonlight near Lee Donghae's barn. He had been there before with Kai once, but he doubted the rich boy even remembered their field trip there. The doll and his master had their lips locked together. The light from the moon glowed onto the both of those idiots who couldn't have picked a better spot. Morons. The details of Kyungsoo's face were still not clearly visible, but the outline certainly was. And if someone took a very long look at the photo, they'd see his doe like eyes.

"Who is that, Yixing?" Taemin growled. He handed the phone back to Minho and, with his hands no longer occupied, grabbed Lay by the collar, pulling him forward. Lay winced. This position was putting great strain on his wrists which were tied to the chair.

"I...I don't know," he weeped. "Please, Mr. Lee, let me go..."

"Lay, don't screw around with me!" Taemin roared. "Minho saw you walking out of Jongin's house. He saw the boy with you and how he kissed your cheek. But you, being the you are, blocked his view of the face with your body. But Minho saw the basic outline, didn't you?" Minho nodded. "See? It's the boy in the picture. Tell me who it is!" He shook Lay hard.

"I don't know!" Lay insisted. "Stop! Please!"

Taemin clamped a hand over Lay's mouth to shut him up and turned to Minho. "Keep him here. Lock the windows and reattach the bars you took off of them when we first found this place. Make sure to lock the door too."

"Taemin, this is illegal," Minho told him, running a hand through his hair.

"Money laundering was also illegal but that didn't stop you now, did it??" Taemin asked. He stuffed the gag back into Lay's mouth. "You know, you motherer. I know you do. And until you say anything, you're going to stay here. No food. No water. Have fun." He gave Lay a sadistic smile and skipped out of the hut.

Minho sighed. He kneeled down beside Lay, the Chinese boy's eyes following his every move. Slowly, he removed the gag

Please log in to read the full chapter