A Tragic Thursday

The Replacement Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

Wednesday Night

Taemin didn't expect to see fourteen missed calls from Minho when he looked at his cell phone. He had taken a nap after going to a press conference with his father and had left his phone at home. He hadn't even thought of checking it seconds before he collapsed onto his bed, falling into a deep sleep. 

There had been a call every half an hour until Minho finally just simply gave up. Taemin didn't understand why Minho had called so many times, but the fact that he did made Taemin smile. And not just because he assumed that the older had good news for him. It made him feel cared for. And in control.

Minho was wound around Taemin's finger like a piece of delicate thread. The older didn't seem to mind being used for anything Taemin wanted from him. The rich boy felt a small amount of guilt for making his lover do so many parol breaking activities, but mostly, he thought of the benefits. For himself and for Minho. There had to be something good that came out of this for the ex conman.

Taemin punched in Minho's number and waited for the older to pick up the phone, tapping his fingers on his desk. A maid scurried in to quickly dust off some of the things on his dresser and he smirked as he watched her, her tight skirt outlining her perfect, tight thighs. She bowed to him after finishing and ran out. Taemin bit his lip as she was shutting the door facing him, her bosom almost falling out of her way too tight top. .

Minho finally picked up the phone. Taemin coughed into his fist before beginning to speak. He opened his mouth but Minho cut him off.

"Taemin! You won't believe it! Oh God, you won't believe what I found!"

Taemin leaned forward on his bed in anticipation. "You did it, didn't you? You actually found him."

"Didn't I tell you that I've never and will never fail you? Who was right? I was right! I should work for the C.I.A or something!"

Taemin smiled. Minho was just too adorable for someone with such a criminal past. He really did love the former money launderer, but in a weird, twisted way. And the love he felt was so unnatural, so strange, that even he himself wasn't sure of it. So Taemin just preferred to think of his relationship with Minho as one sided. He'd figure out what to do later. Now, he just enjoyed the tall boy's company.

"What's his name?" Taemin asked. He in a breath that drove Minho wild on the other end.

"Hang on a second. I'll open the file...ah! Do Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo. Taemin furrowed his eyebrows. That name sounded familiar to him for some reason. The rich boy shook his head to clear his mind and went back to speaking with Minho on the phone. Was the older squealing?

"I'm sorry, Taemin! I'm acting like such a child right now but I can't believe it!" He started laughing uncontrollably on the other end. "You don't know how good this feels! Oh God, Taemin, it feels so good!"

Taemin his lips. "Trust me, I know how it feels. Be here in ten minutes. With the boy's file."

Minho hung up almost immediately after saying he'd run over. Taemin leaned back onto his bed, sinking into the mattress. He smiled at the ceiling. It looked much prettier for some reason. Maybe he was just extremely happy at the moment for knowing about Kai's lover and what he was going to do with this newfound information. Or maybe he was excited that Minho would soon be here. Nah, it was the first reason. A little of the second. 

There was a knock on his window and Taemin rushed to open it. His heart raced when Minho climbed inside his room, attacking the older with an overly tight, grateful hug. Minho could barely breath, feeling as though his ribs would crack if Taemin didn't let go. The younger buried his face in Minho's chest, listening to his heart beat. It was even faster than his own. Had he run over here?

Taemin stood on his toes and gave Minho a long kiss as a thank you present for doing such a good job. Minho automatically melted into it. If only Taemin kissed him like this more often. If only he kissed him like this everytime. It was strange how that wasn't the case. But Minho didn't care. If the younger didn't love him as much as he loved him, he'd keep trying. He'd win Taemin's heart over even if he still hadn't.

Taemin pulled away, leaving Minho breathless. His frog like eyes stared at Taemin's lovely face, absorbing it. Looking at Taemin always left him amazed. How was he so beautiful?

Taemin smiled up at him and tapped Minho's chest. "You did well. I'm proud of you."

Minho beamed. He had won Taemin's approval about something. Finally. He wrapped his arms around the younger's waist, smelling his well conditioned hair. The boy reaked of his peach scented shampoo. Ah, peaches. Peaches were adorable. Just like Taemin. It suited him.

"I owe you one," Taemin said, kissing the other's cheek. "What do you want, Minho? I'll give you anything you want."

"You," Minho begged. Taemin moved back in shock when Minho fell onto one knee. "Taemin, you don't know how much I love you. I say it to you often and I mean it everytime I do. You're everything to me. I want you with me forever." He pulled out a little box from his hoodie's pocket. "Marry me?"

Minho had wanted to ask this for a long time now. The box had been in his possession for over three months now, and he was waiting for the perfect moment to pop the question. This seemed like such a perfect opportunity. Taemin had invited him into asking the question. He stood on his knee, holding the box out with the ring inside that he paid for with every bit of money he had. He was lovestruck.

Taemin blinked. Whaaaaat? What was happening right now? Minho proposed to him? A marriage proposal? Taemin throat vibrated as he fought to keep in what was threatening to come out. However, he couldn't control it any longer. Holding his stomach, he did what Minho hadn't ever expected as an answer. 

Taemin started to laugh.

The sound that Minho loved so much rang through the room, bouncing off the walls. Taemin's melodious giggles reached his ears and his mouth dropped slightly. This laugh, the love he adored because he knew that it meant Taemin was happy, was crushing him like a boulder. Even a 'no' wouldn't hurt so much. Minho's heart felt as if someone was tearing it apart like paper.

Taemin hooted. Minho's marriage offer was hilarious. Ridiculous. Preposterous. He didn't know why he felt about it this way. Minho looked up at him with glassy eyes. And for the first time ever, the ex conman started crying. Taemin's laughter died down, and he knew he had gone too far.

"Minho, don't cry!" Taemin fell onto his knees, back straight so he was taller than Minho. He brought the boy's head into his chest. "I'm just too busy! A marriage is something I can't do right now."

Minho pushed himself away from Taemin, covering his face from the embarassment of the situation. He wasn't expecting this type of rejection. Laughter then an excuse. He couldn't take this. He just couldn't. Taemin's soothing voice telling him to calm down reached his ears but was soon lost to the sound of his own sobs. His body shook and no longer felt Taemin's hand which was rubbing his back in circles. 

Minho lifted his face from his hands. His soul, which he himself wasn't sure if existed, felt battered. He looked at Taemin with those frog like eyes, those sad, humble eyes. Taemin looked back at him, his flawless face projecting no emotion. Then, with a small smile, Taemin laced his fingers in Minho's hair. The older's eyes fell to the floor.

"Not now, Minho. Someday. I have too many things to deal with right now. Like the whole Jongin thing, for instance."

A smile ghosted onto Minho's face and he looked up at Taemin again. "So that's a yes for the future?"

"It's a maybe."

Minho's heart soared. His face broke into a large smile and Taemin was happy to see it again. He was on Minho's good side again. And with that smile, Taemin knew that Minho still loved him, no matter what. He'd do anything for him.

Minho made his way to the window. He swung one leg out then stopped and turned to Taemin who was walking over to his desk. "What do I do with Yixing?"

Taemin spun around on his heel to face Minho again. "Kill him. If he tells anyone that I, Lee Taemin, am responsible for his kidnapping, my father's business is screwed."

Minho was a lot of things. But he wasn't a murderer. He gulped and shook his head, refusing Taemin's order. Taemin walked up to Minho, looking him dead in the eye. The rich boy would have none of this. 'No' was not something he took for an answer. With a swift movement, he grabbed Minho hard by the hair and crashed their lips together. Of course Minho melted into it. For someone as mentally strong as Minho, he was pretty weak sometimes.

Taemin pulled away, smirking. "What was your answer to killing Yixing again?"

Minho furrowed his eyebrows, rocking a little back and forth. He was dazed by the kiss. "I'm gonna go now."

"Good night, Minho." Taemin watched as the former criminal slid down the side of his house and disappeared into the darkness. He really was his dark angel.

~*~*~

Kyungsoo wouldn't speak to Kai. He couldn't speak to Kai. He was sure he'd die of embarrasment if he so much as walked by the other young man. So he stayed in the bathroom after rushing into it, the door locked. He'd stay here for the rest of his life if he had to. He didn't want to exit from it. Looking at Kai would make his heart fall to the pit of his stomach.

So the past three times Kai had wanted to go to the bathroom, he'd had to go to Mr. Kim's. The boss was getting suspicious, even asking Kai why he wasn't using his own. The son had had to lie everytime and say his sink was broken. Joonmyun had backed him up, even saying he'd called the plumbers to come and fix it tomorrow. Thank God for Joonmyun.

So Kyungsoo remained in the bathroom, curled up in a ball in the bathtub like he always was. His latest 'problem' courtesy of Kai had deflated. He pulled his knees to his chest as he thought about what Kai had done to him earlier that day. How had something so bad felt so good? Kyungsoo shuddered.

Throwing off all of his clothing into a heap on the floor, Kyungsoo the shower head, curling into a ball again after doing so. Scorching hot water fell onto him again as it had in China. It hurt like hell but he didn't mind. Maybe it would clean him from the shame. Although, he really wasn't sure what he had to be ashamed of. Maybe the fact that he couldn't return what Kai had given him was haunting him.

He had no idea how the younger had done what he did, but it had certainly felt amazing. And poor little Kyungsoo, though older, was so inexperienced in this certain field that he wasn't sure he could ever repay Kai for making him feel so good. Kyungsoo sniffled and rolled around in the tub. He was a bad boyfriend.

While Kyungsoo grieved in the bathroom, Kai's eye twitched in the bedroom. Steam was sneaking under the crack of his bathroom door and memories of the Kyungsoo-burning-himself-in-China fiasco came flooding back at him. Trembling, Kai walked over the door and knocked lightly on it. He bit his lip.

Kyungsoo lifted his head from his feetle position. His body shook from the heat surrounding it. The steam was making him sweat at a larger amount that a normal human body should, and he was beginning to get dizzy. Kai knocked again, his attempt more desperate. 

"Doll face! Doll face, if you're upset about what happened, I'm sorry, ok? I was pissed at my father and lost control of myself. It'll never happen, I promise. I'll never hurt you like that again. Please open the door." He leaned against it on his stomach, clawing it. Bits of the wooden door got underneath his finger nails. "Kyungsoo..."

The doll stood up and turned the shower head off. He didn't even bother to get dressed since Kai had already seen everything there was to see. The young man opened the door for Kai, staring at him with gloomy eyes. The boss' son bit his lip harder at the sadness, not even the ness, and scooped Kyungsoo up into his arms. The boy was covered in burns again, and he was planning to take care of him.

Placing Kyungsoo on the bed, Kai went off to look for the First Aid kit. When he didn't find it (Kyungsoo had left it in the kitchen after helping Lay and Kai didn't think of looking there) he went up to his father's office to ask if they had another one. He sighed as he entered, knowing Mr. Kim would be angry at him for disturbing him during his work. But Mr. Kim wasn't there.

Kai sighed. Count on his father to never be here when his son needed him. Kai walked around the office to get to Mr. Kim's bathroom. Maybe he had a kit in his bathroom? It wouldn't hurt to look, right?

On his way there, Kai slipped on the recently polished wooden floor. He knocked into Mr. Kim's coffee table, knocking it over as well as himself. Stupid maids! They could have at least put up a sign or something like they did in stores when the floor was wet. Kai rubbed his bum since he fell onto it and moved to pick up the table and everything that fell off of it. One particular thing caught his eye.

It was a book. A very small and old looking book. Kai inspected it all over, turning it around in his hands to see every part. It looked more like a diary than a published novel. Curious, the latter tucked it under his shirt and went to look for the kit in the bathroom. Finding that his father did indeed have one, Kai grabbed it and rushed back to Kyungsoo, all the while holding the mysterious diary so it wouldn't happen to fall out from underneath his shirt and be seen by his father.

Kyungsoo was asleep when Kai found him. He was curled up into his usual ball. The boss' son shut and locked the bedroom door quietly as to not disturb his sleeping doll. Then, he tip toed over, placing the diary on his dresser. He opened the First Aid kit and removed from it the ointment for burns. It was by the same manufacturer as the one he had used on Kyungsoo in China. How interesting.

The young man squirted some onto Kyungsoo stomach and began to spread it all over. Kyungsoo whined in his sleep, wincing each time Kai's hands passed over a burn. Kai didn't even bother moving any lower than Kyungsoo's stomach. He'd definitely lose himself if his hands got a hold of what was between his doll's legs.

Sighing, Kai covered Kyungsoo with his blanket, tucking the boy in. He'd sleep on the floor tonight. Kyungsoo didn't need any body heat next to his already hot body. That made him think that maybe he should turn up the air conditioner...

After clicking the AC to perform its job full blast, Kai took the diary he had found in his father's office and sat down in an armchair. He giggled. Maybe Mr. Kim had some dirty secrets in here or something. That would certainly be interesting to find out about.

But when Kai opened the cover, the handwriting struck him. No. This was a female's hand. His father's handwriting was much messier than this. This was his mothe

Please log in to read the full chapter