A Whimsical Wednesday

The Replacement Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

Tuesday Morning

Kyungsoo woke up to see the ceiling overhead. Nowadays, he thought he'd be accustomed to seeing the top of the case when he woke up. But then, memories from extremely early this morning flooded back to him, and Kyungsoo realized why he was laying on a bed looking up at the painted ceiling of Kim Jongin's room.

He suddenly felt a weight on his chest which he had not noticed before, immediately assuming he was experiencing a heart attack. A look down and Kyungsoo saw the top of a head, covered with the most luxurious hair he had ever seen. Running his finger through it, he discovered it was very soft to the touch. The owner of the head shifted into a position that Kyungsoo could see the flawless face, gulping when he saw Kai's plump lips and long lashes. Blinking, the young man slid from underneath his master, then scurried over to his case.

The latter still on the bed moved when he felt that something was missing. His head was no longer suspended above the bed upon a warm, hard surface. He was once again on the bland mattress and he could feel it in his sleep. Kyungsoo watched as Kai palmed the space of the bed beside him, cursing when he realized in his slumber that there was an extreme absence of a certain someone. Groggily, Kai stood on all fours and stretched his like a cat, then got onto his knees, back to Kyungsoo. He jumped with his knees so he ended up on his bum, facing the doll once again back in his case.

Kyungsoo bit his lip when he saw how angry Kai looked. Maybe it hadn't been such a good idea to leave the bed before the rich boy woke up. Kai stood up from the mattress, then trudged towards the case. Kyungsoo backed up inside of it, pressing against the back. Gripping each side of the opening of the case, Kai leaned in towards Kyungsoo, their noses pressing up against eachother's.

"Who told you you could leave the bed?" Kai breathed, his breath which was surprsingly minty pouring onto Kyungsoo's skin. The older's face scrunched up and he shut his eyes, not used to having someone at such a close proximity to him. He opened one eye only to see that Kai's expression was austere. He was obviously still not pleased. "I don't remember telling you that, D.O. No authorization was given."

Kai pushed himself away from the case, walking over to the bathroom to start his morning routine. Kyungsoo sighed and placed a hand on his heart. He could hear it slamming against his ribcage. Then, remembering how the maids had come in the day before, he rushed to lock the bedroom door. But just as his hand was about to grasp the knob, the door swung open revealing two figures behind it. Kyungsoo almost died and was close to fainting. If two arms hadn't caught him, he would have ended up on the floor.

"Sir!" Baekhyun cried, Joonmyun fanning Kyungsoo with his handkerchief while Baekhyun held him. "Sir, are you alright?"

Kyungsoo nodded weakly then attempted to stand on his two feet. Joonmyun supported him from behind by placing a hand on the other's back, but Kyungsoo waved him off. With a shake of his head, the replacement doll closed the door and locked it. Hopefully, that would keep everyone unwelcome out.

Baekhyun and Joonmyun instinctevly scurried over to Kai's bed and began tidying it up, Kyungsoo sliding down the wall to curl into a ball on the floor as they did. So many things were running through his mind right now and he wanted to be alone. He shuddered when he heard numerous knocks on the door, the maids insisting on coming in to clean the master's room and bring him his breakfast. Joonmyun ran to Kyungsoo, hands moving to the boy's shoulders.

"I know you're tired," he started, "but they'll get suspicious if we don't let them in. Please get up, Kyungsoo. Please get up..."

Kyungsoo nodded. He propped himself up onto one knee while straightening out his other leg. The second soon followed the first. He swayed from side to side as he made his way towards the glass hell at the end of the room, placing himself inside of it. Straightening his back and pinching his arm hard so his eyes would open fully despite the want of sleep, Kyungsoo morphed into D.O.

Baekhyun opened the door swiftly for the maids, stepping out of the way just like he did when he opened the limo door. They filed in like robots, some with dusters and others with mops. The last one to enter was the one with the breakfast tray. Following her, however, was one more person. Dressed in a fine tailored suit that was well made but not too extravagant, Baekhyun could only assume that this was a new butler. Mr. Kim had been talking about getting a new one after Kai fired the old one two weeks ago...

Joonmyun shut D.O's case then turned around, dodging a maid rushing past him to get to the windows. He began to walk towards Baekhyun but stopped when he saw the butler. He blinked, making sure that he wasn't losing it. 

There was something so pure, so benign about this young man's face, that Joonmyun had to make a double take. Never had he seen anyone so kind and innocent looking in his entire life, not even his own mother. Overall, this delicate looking creature was extremely beautiful to say the least. At loss for words, Joonmyun's lips only parted slightly, the only thing escaping from them being air. Baekhyun tipped his chaffeur hat at the young butler.

"Your name, sir?"

The new boy bowed politely, the chaffeur being higher in rank than him. "Kim Jongdae."

Baekhyun glanced at Joonmyun, smirking when he saw the other's expression. Mazing through the tons of maids inside the room, he got behind the boss' personal assistant and pushed him towards the butler. Joonmyun gulped as the two of them made their way closer.

"This is Kim Joonmyun," Baekhyun said, introducing the paralyzed latter to the new one. "He is the personal assistant to Mr. Kim. If you ever, ever have any problems, he'd be more than happy to address them for you. Am I correct, Joonmyun?"

"I, uh," Joonmyun struggled to speak until Baekhyun jabbed his elbow into his ribcage. "Yes!"

Jongdae smiled. "I'm more than happy to know that."

"And," Baekhyun continued, "he would be mighty glad to give you a tour of the property so that you may be well acquainted with your new place of employment. Isn't that right, Joonmyun?"

Joonmyun, once again not able to speak, simply nodded. Kyungsoo watched from his case, the sides of his lips curving into a tiny, barely visible smile. He was happy to see Joonmyun so lovestruck. For a young man with such a hectic life, love was something Joonmyun never had time for. He'd obviously have to make his schedule more flexible from now on.

Everyone froze when Kai walked back into the room, dressed in a plain tee shirt and torn jeans. The cheapness of the clothes made him look somehow more good looking than before to Kyungsoo, if that was at all even more possible for someone as perfect as Kai. It made him look reachable, and Kyungsoo realized why so many girls fell for him. He, at this current moment, looked like noone could put a price tag on him. Priceless.

Kai took one look around the room, one hand in a pocket. Strutting through the sea of maids, he stopped before Jongdae, inspecting him up and down. Joonmyun suddenly felt jealous, gritting his teeth as his boss' son's gaze floated up and down the body beside the door. Kyungsoo noticed the sudden change in his best friend and got concerned for Kai. Joonmyun was very bellicose when it came to protecting something he desired or was emotionally attached to...

Wait. Was Kyungsoo worrying about the well being of Kim Jongin, that thing that assaulted him last night? That could be classified as assault, no? Could Kyungsoo report him?

"You are?" Kai asked.

Jongdae bowed. "Jongdae, sir, the butler."

He buttles, Kyungsoo thought to himself, snickering.

"Butler to who? My father or me?"

"Well," Jongdae started, "I was told that I was to work for the son, so, assuming that you are him, I am your butler."

Kai hollowed his cheeks, then let them go back to their original positions with a loud pop. Nodding, he turned so he faced every single maid inside the room. He clucked his tongue so he got every single one of their attentions.

"I want all of you, besides these boys, out. Out!" He pointed to the open door.

The maids scurried out, each female stopping before him to curtsy before shuffling out. Kai shut the door behind them, then threw an arm around Jongdae. He began to lead the other towards the display case. Kyungsoo gulped.

"See that?" he began, gesturing towards it. "That's my most prizest possession. And since you work for me, I demand a favor of you."

"Yes, sir?"

Kai opened the door of the case and forced Kyungsoo out by grabbing his arm. Jongdae's eyes widened when he realized that the infamous doll belonging to Mr. Kim's son was an actual, live young man. Joonmyun's and Baekhyun's mouths fell open from shock at what Kai was doing simutanousely, both thinking he was going insane.

"Here's my favor, or, actually, consider this a threat," Kai told him, grabbing Jongdae's collar. "If you tell anyone, anyone, about him, including my father, you can kiss your job of buttling goodbye. I'll make sure you'll never get another job in your life. Are we clear here?"

Jongdae nodded frantically, so hard that Joonmyun feared his head would fly off. Baekhyun sighed as this greatly resembled the way Kai had threatened him if he exposed Kyungsoo. Letting go of the butler's collar, Kai smoothed it out so it didn't look wrinkled.

"Now, would anyone care to pass Kyungsoo a croissant?" Kai asked calmly.

Joonmyun and Baekhyun looked at eachother in disbelief.

Kyungsoo was as shocked as they were. Was he going crazy or had Kai just called him his most prizest possession?

~*~*~

Tuesday Evening

Kai, being free for the night and having the entire house to himself since his father was away, let all of the maids go home for the rest of the night. Ordering Jongdae to dress into something that wasn't fancy, the rich boy had offered that they all sit down for tea and relax for once. Joonmyun gladly accepted as did Baekhyun, while Kyungsoo was not so sure.

To be around Kai was like being around a lit up stick of dynamite. He was extremely unpredictable. Kyungsoo couldn't say that he was afraid of the younger, but he was definitely confused. Turning away from the entire group in his case, Kyungsoo curled up into a ball again, his head resting in between his knees. He shut his eyes tight, sharpening his sense of hearing.

Joonmyun couldn't help but smile when Jongdae came back dressed even more plainly than Kai, a pair of light blue jeans and a striped shirt covering his body. The new butler brought with him a tray of tea which Kai had ordered a maid to brew before she left, placing it onto the table below the television. Baekhyun nudged Joonmyun as the other watched Jongdae's every move, glancing back and forth from him back to the butler. Joonmyun nodded when he understood.

"Jongdae?" he started. The said boy turned around, and out of habit, bowed politely. "No need for formalities. Would you like the tour of the house now?"

Jongdae smiled softly. "I would, thank you."

He made his way for the open bedroom door with Joonmyun right behind, appearing as though he was flying. Baekhyun knew that Joonmyun was surely in love; it's not like he had wings on his shoes that could make him fly like a bird. It was his heart which had sprouted those mechanisms of flight, and just like Kyungsoo, Baekhyun was more than happy to see that Jongdae was having such an effect on the boss' assistant.

Now seeing that only his master and the new doll were left in the room with him, Baekhyun devised another plan. He had seen the twinkle in Kai's eyes when he spoke of or to Kyungsoo. It was something that the young master had never had before. This was special too, and Baekhyun was acting upon it. Clearing his throat, the chaffeur stood up, checking his wrist watch.

"Well, would you look at the time! I deeply regret this, sir, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to take my leave of absence now to go start my drive to pick up your father." He bowed politely then walked towards the door, facing the two boys inside in the doorway. "Do have a good night." He closed the door, and Kyungsoo could hear the chaffeur's footsteps become fainter as he walked down the grand staircase and outside to the limo.

As soon as Baekhyun was gone, Kai ran his tongue over his lips, watching Kyungsoo in the case. He approached it at an angle which Kyungsoo could not see him, and ended up behind the boy inside. He leaned against the open doorway, arms over his thankfully clothed chest, making it easier for him to feel his own heartbeat. It was erratic, beating at a prompt pace. Sighing, he knocked on the doorframe.

"Doll face," he started, "do me a favor and get out of the case."

Kyungsoo looked back at him, tired, frustrated. He wanted to sleep, he craved it. Why he was so tired, he himself did not know. Or maybe he wasn't tired at all but just wanted some form of escape from this place, an escape which, currently, only dreamland could provide. Nevertheless, he exited, crawling on his hands and knees out of the case. He fell on his stomach as if someone had given him a heavy blow to the back and knocked him down.

Kai, eyes wide, knelt beside him. "What's with you? Joonmyun told me that you were like this th

Please log in to read the full chapter