A Shattered Sunday

The Replacement Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sunday

Kai wasn't really sure why he found the doll standing in the display case near his bed so attractive. Something about it, though, was just so right. It was the only object that he was genuinely attached to.

Skipping over to it, he opened the glass door protecting the porcelain, life sized figurine, being extra careful as usual not to break or fracture it at all. Propping the arms of the doll so they were in a position fit for ballroom dancing, the son of the richest man in town waltzed around the room with it, singing songs of love and coincidental romances. He stopped only when someone knocked on his closed bedroom door.

"Jongin, child! Your father's assistant is waiting for you downstairs, young master!"

"Stupid maids," Kai grumbled. Gingerly, he placed the doll back into the display case, blowing it a kiss. "See you later, D.O." 

The doll stood motionless in the case. If it had a mind of its own, it would probably think itself that Kai was insane. Everyone else did, especially Kim Joonmyun, Kai's father's personal assistant.

The young employee ran to the living room as soon as the maid came back downstairs with news that the boss' son was coming down soon. Making sure he looked proper and business like in one of the antique mirrors hanging on the wall, he brushed back his hair with a of his hand. The sound of footsteps soon echoed through the large antechamber. The boy of the house was coming this way.

With his back straight and the fakest smile painted on his own cherubic face, Joonmyun greeted Kai was an elegant bow, similar to those that peasants made to kings of the midieval courts. Kai walked past him as if he didn't exist. Joomnyun gritted his teeth slightly, then grinned kindly once again.

"Sir," Joonmyun began, walking behind Kai at a respectable distance, "your father has requested that you join him at a press conference today this afternoon. It would be a perfect way to avoid having to deal with the rennovations of your new room."

Kai snapped his fingers. A maid immediately ran over to him, bowing like Joonmyun had. All the boss' assistant could think at that moment was spoiled this kid was. What a slime his father was making out of him.

"Bring me breakfast," the child ordered to her then turned back to Joonmyun. "I don't want to. I'd rather stay here and watch what they do in my room. Besides, I have some very valuable things in there that I'd feel better about knowing were safe if I was the one keeping an eye on them."

He dug into his meal as soon as it was brought to him, ignoring Joonmyun's pleas which had begun to stream from his mouth in long, desperate sentences. The young employee knew his boss would be angry if Kai did not agree to going to the conference. It was a very important affair, and the presence of Kai would gain more popularity for Mr. Kim and his clothing business.

Kai, with his flawless looks and charming personality, radiated a certain magnet like aura to those around him. With him in the room one day, the next day brought a double increase of the company's sales. Many ladies adored him.

Taking a deep breath after a moment's silence, Joonmyun spoke again. "Sir, please. You don't want to dissapoint your father now, do you? You are going to be the head of the company the day he steps down. Don't you want to make customers now so you won't have to worry later?"

Kai took a swig of the black, strong coffee prepared for him. It was his morning boost. "Well if you put it that way, I guess so. Tell my father I'll be at his office an hour before the conference. Call my driver and tell him to pick me up accordingly."

Joonmyun smiled, overjoyed. He wasn't losing his job today. Muttering a million 'thank yous' as he backed out of the kitchen bowing, the young employee ran to tell his employer the news. Kai took this as an opportunity to go back upstairs to his D.O.

The young man once again removed the doll from its encasement, marvelling at the perfection of its design. Why he had a male doll, he himself did not know. Perhaps it was because he was simply lonely, not someone who felt more attracted to the same gender. However, there was something about how this doll looked, its anatomy. It gave Kai so many wrong ideas.

He smirked at it. At least it couldn't scream while he had fun. Suddenly realizing which direction his thoughts were going, Kai slapped himself. This doll was driving him insane.

"If only you were real," he breathed, drawing the doll's head to his chest. He had made it shorter than himself so he could easily handle it. "If only you actually moved."

"Master Jongin! Your father wants you in his office!"

Kai threw his head back with a groan of frustration. Pouting, he looked at D.O. The doll looked back. He cocked his head. The doll remained still. He furrowed his eyebrows. The doll was expressionless.

"I need to get a life," he told himself, moving the doll back into the glass case. He pressed himself against it as soon as he shut it, staring at the treasure inside. But why did he need a life when he had D.O? All he wanted was the doll. Nothing more, nothing less.

He exited his room to go to his father. Meanwhile, Joonmyun ran out of his boss' office and met Kai halfway up the stairs, smiling at the young man as he made his way to the child's room. Kai watched Joonmyun round the corner and disappear, eye twitching. D.O was safe with Joonmyun around, right? After all, he was the most loyal out of all of his father's workers. 

Joonmyun rushed through his employer's son's old bedroom as Kai entered his father's office. Making sure everything was in check for the quick move to the new bedroom with the bigger terrace, he ran back downstairs to make sure the movers would get here on time. Everything had to be done before the conference was over, so the project might as well start now. He needed this job; it was something he couldn't afford to lose.

Dialing the number of the moving company, Joonmyun dabbed his forehead with his handkerchief, wiping off the sweat. One day he'd buy a house somewhere in the country, far away from jobs, far away from this hectic life, far away from Kim Jongin and his annoying, stupid doll.

But for now, he was stuck here, doomed to follow every order that his boss and messed up son gave him.

~*~*~

"Remember, Joonmyun!" Mr. Kim called from the driveway to his employee standing in the mansion's doorway as he entered the limo waiting for him and his son. "Kai's room must be done by the time that we get back!"

"Yes, sir!" Joonmyun yelled back enthusiastically, saluting. "Everything will be ready! I promise you!"

With a curt nod, Mr. Kim climbed into the limo, the chaffeur shutting the door behind him. Kai stared out the window he was sitting next to, gaze fixated on his old bedroom's bay window. He could see a small portion of D.O's display case from this angle. Shifting a little in his seat to see if he could get a better look, the young man sighed when nothing more became visible. The chaffeur revved the engine as Kai was fiddling nervously with his bowtie, cursing his father for taking him to something so formal.

Joonmyun waved furiously as the vehicle pulled away, not stopping until it was fully out of his view. Then, making sure that his boss was gone, the young man let out the word that he had wanted to spit out ever since he called to make sure the movers were coming.

"."

The movers, by some coincidental incident, were not available to come to the mansion before the conference ended. They were apparently working on something much more important. What on earth was more

Please log in to read the full chapter