Faking it?

My Virtual Girl
 
 
"Whhhhyyyyyyyy" "why why why" Jiyeon whinned over and over again..
 
"Stop that! I am not taking you to school, and that is final" Jonghyun said firmly.
 
Sensing her tactic isn't working, she decided to go for the pity route "but....Why...... It's so boring here alone.... Don't you feel sorry for me?" Jiyeon's is on full pouting mode, complete with glassy eyes and quivering lips...
 
Knowing full well the risk, Jonghyun decided wisely not to gaze at Jiyeon.
 
"Hyyuuunniiieeeeee, look at meeeeee" she said in desperation.
 
"Ok, look. I will be done at 3. I will come straight home and then i will take you out shopping. You will need something else to wear other than my shirts. And for god's sake, please put on some pants will you!" Jonghyun scolded
 
"I looked! But they are all too big for me" Jiyeon argued.
 
"Alright, alright. It doesn't matter. We will go find you something this afternoon. In the mean time, just stay at home, ok?" Jonghyun pleaded
 
"Okkkk....." Jiyeon reluctantly said.
 
 
~~~~~~~
 
 
On the way to school Jonghyun was lost in his own mind. He is still unsure whether last night truly did happen. But it doesn't take a lot for him check. He merely rubbed his face, feeling the soft and smooth skin, that i proof enough. 
Thinking back about Jiyeon he couldn't but to smile. "This girl is strange.. I know there is something she isn't telling me, but somehow, i couldn't help but to trust her..." 
 
Jonghyun was deep in his thought, he didn't realised he had entered school ground. He was so used to being invisible, he just practically ignored everyone.
 
Meanwhile, the students he passed started to notice him... 
 
"Who is that guy? Is he new? He looks familiar. Oh my god, isn't he dashing. He looks so cool. Look at how he walks so calmy... Gosh he looks so mysterious..." All around whispers were heard.
 
Still oblivious to the commotion he created, Jonghyun entered his class. all the students in the class were whispering and wondering about who he is. One person person was different thought. 
 
Im Yoona.
 
 As soon as Jonghyun entered the class, shock marred her face. It was clear that she had recognised him from the get go. And when Jonghyun was about to walk pass her on the way to his seat, she accidently just blurted out.. "Jonghyun-shi?.."
 
She closed as soon as the word left .
 
Jonghyun stopped his step and turned to her.
 
At the same time, the whole class fell silent....
 
Before whispers and talks broke out. "Oh my god!!! Are you freaking serious!! Is that really smelly jonghyunie?!!! What the happened to him??!! I couldn't recognised him without his glasses. Man, the glasses, what happened with his hunced back?!" "Seriously it can't be him! There wasn't any smell just then when he walked pass" 
 
Jonghyun stood there.. Frozen... "Did Yoona just called him!??" He thought.
 
Yoona pulled herself together from her shock and said as politely as she could "you... You look good" cursing herself for sounding so lame.
 
Jonghyun was stunned.. "Did she just compliment me?...." He thinks to himself.
Jonghyun mustered all his courage and determination, he managed a strained smile and a soft "thanks" before sitting down on his seat.
 
He looked around the class and was more than a little surprise to see almost everyone were staring at him. Some in awe, some in jelaousy but one stood out. Ok Taecyeon. He was looking at him with mixture look of disbelief and anger. Before today, he only saw Jonghyun as a pest. Probably someone that Yoona felt pity for, but never a genuine rival. But now,.... This changes everything.. If looks could kill, Jonghyun would probably be dead at that second. 
 
Tearing himself from Taecyeon's hateful stare, Jonghyun saw Taeyeon just as she was entering the class.
 
Taeyeon scanned the class for a second before she finally saw Jonghyun. Her eyes widened in surprised for a second before it disappear just as quickly as it appeared. It was then replaced by a permanent suspicious looks..
 
"What..  What happened to you... "Jonghyun heard someone said.
 
He turned to see some guy, he isn't sure what his name was, that was sitting next to him, obviously could't contain his curiosity any longer.
 
" Oh god.. What do i say... What do i say.... Should i say i had an operation? no! It's impossible to heal in one day, in fact anything that can cause this much change is impossible to be done in one day" jonghyun mind went into overdrive
 
"Erhhmmm.. What do you mean? Jonghyun asked, futilely trying to feign ignorance.
 
"Your.. Your looks.. Your skin... Your body... Your glasses... Everything... They look so different" the guy pressed him further.
 
"N..no... It's the make up.." Jonghyun accidently blurted out in panic "oh no!! What have i done!! I just exposed myself.. I'm such an idiot" jonghyun's mind is going into meltdown
 
"Wha? You mean you've been using make up all this time? You've been faking it? But why?" The guy asked again
 
"what the hell is he talking about" Jonghyun is thinking, completely confused
 
"Off course to see who is his real friend, you dumb arse. People like him probably has got fakers posing as friends just because they wanna get close to him" someone else answered.
 
"Aaahhhh, is that right?" The first guy asked again.
 
"Huh? Aahh yeah. That's it" jonghyun nodded, eternally grateful that for once things has gone his way, without him even trying.
 
All around class everyone seemed to nod in understanding, they all thought it was a plausible explanation.
All except one girl. Kim Taeyeon. She is still giving Jonghyun calculating gazes. She thought it was highly unlikely that Jonghyun would hide his appearance for 8 months straight without fail. There are others and easier ways to make real friend and none needing such extreme measure.
 
"I know you are up to something, and i will find out exactly what it is. Mark my word" taeyeon swore.
 
Soon after, the class commences. Jonghyun's teacher, Song Jihyo came in. She also gave a surprised look at his sudden change of appearance before giving him a mischiveous smirk. "That look doesn't bode well at all" Jonghyun said while shuddering lightly
 
And true to his word, not long after, the teacher told the students for the major end of the year project, students will have to pair up. Jongyun normally hates this kind of set up. No on ever wanted pair up with him.
He starts hearing that idiot Taecyeon screaming his head off from the other side of the class to Yoona, asking.... no,.. more like begging her to team up with her. It's kinda funny though, since Yoona seems to be ignore him, choosing instead to converse with her friends near her, pretending she didn't hear Taeceyeon at all. Yoona did had a few offers from both boys and girls near her but she politely declined all of them. 
 
After a while, the teacher asked who still haven't paired up, a few people including Taecyeon,Yoona and me put our hands up. The teacher saw this and in an instant, that up-to-no-good smile etched on her face.
 
Trying to sound as lazy as she could, the teacher read out the names of the rest of students and who they are paired with. When it got to my name.... "Jonghyun, with Yoona" she said nonchalantly. 
 
Ignoring the screams of protests from Taecyeon, i tried to look at Yoona. She turned to face me. Somehow her face is filled with both relief and worry. 
 
"What is she worried about?.... Oh i guess she must worried how teaming up with a guy like me would effect her image" Jonghyun thought, feeling a little downcast.
Yoona is one of a few people who has always acknowledge him. Pretty or no, he really does care for her. So he resoluted not to make things harder for her by being with him. 
 
Mustering his courage he brace himself to talk to the goddess of his school "Do you want me to ask the teacher to swap?" He said 
 
A surprised look marred her face "why?" She asked back
 
"It's ok, It must be hard for you to be team up with a guy li.... Look, what i'm trying to say is,.. It's ok. I understand. I don't want to make it harder for you" Jonghyun replied, trying his best to sound as sincere as possible while hiding his disappointment.
 
Her eyes widened at his word "What? No no no!" She almost screamed out
 
A few people in class turned to Yoona, including that damn teacher and her infuriating smirk of hers. Yonna mouthed "sorry" to everyone before turning back to Jonghyun.
 
"Its's not like that at all, i really don't......" Yoona said with a worried look still on her face.
 
"It's alright.. I can see you are worried about this,.. You don't have to force yourself. Really, i understand" jonghyun cut her. Her really hates seeing her worry.
 
Yoona seemed surprised that Jonghyun sees right through her face. She sighed in defeat and said "i am not worried about what people would think.. I am worried about ... You know... Taecyeon and you... I don't  want him to give you more trouble by being with me..." "I just don't want a repeat of yesterday's incident. It was all my fault" Yoona said, looking quite dejectedly..
 
Jonghyun was stunted. Im Yonna, THE Im Yonna is worried about him. In an instant his heart swelled ten fold. 
 
In truth, Yoona has always had a thing for Jonghyun. It may sound strange, impossible even for a girl as pretty as her, who can get any boys she wants at a click of her fingers, to show any interest to an ugly, boring and smelly boy like Jonghyun was. 
 
But here is the thing, Yoona has always grown up with the affection of people. Boys has always flock around her. So as with all human beings we always want what we don't have. She wants someone who will not stick to her like glue, not agreeing with everything she said, she wants a companion, not a puppet.
 
And then along came Jonghyun. A new boy transfered from Australia. His attitude in general is just different. whether it's because of his upbringing overseas or whether that's just his characteristic, he is definitely different. He seems to be able to maintain that coolness of his, even when he is being bullied and bashed, never had she seem him begged for mercy or cry or run. He just took the punishment without word and then walked off.
 
Most people will never get past Jonghyun's looks and appearance, but Yoona is different. She knows how vain people can be. She had had a few previous boyfriends in her younger years, all were perfect looking, perfect grades, and popular. She found out then that looks, brain and status does not guarantee a happy relationship.. And if anything, those kind of people are normally comes with heavy baggage and can often be unkind.
 
Jonghyun on the other hand, is different. Like that time when Yoona accidently saw Jonghyun tried to help a little girl.
 
 This school is a private school, and as such it has all classes from primary all the way to senior high spread into 3 building separating each major sections.
 
That morning Yoona was unsually late. She was making her way quickly to class when she saw Jonghyun crouching next to a little girl that appears to be wearing the primary school uniform. She moved closer, luckily they are near where her locker is so she could listen in without looking to suspicious. 
 
"It's ok. Eveything is gonna be ok, everyone can be lost on their first day too. You don't have to be upset" Jonghyun said whille rubbing the back of the crying girl
 
"Ohh. So she is new and lost" Yoona thought.
 
"See, i am new too, i only just transfered a couple months ago, just like you" Jonghyun said with a smile
"Really?.." The little girl said looking up to him, her cries relented a bit.
"Yeah! And guess what? I was late too!.. I played too much video game the night before and i was an hour late the next day!" Jonghyun said in an exaggerated way.
"Aaahhhh" the little girl gasp while holding with her hands. "Did you get into trouble?" She asked curiously.
Jonghyun saw that the girl already forgot about crying he continued "off course i was, i was in a lot of trouble. But you are lucky, you know why?" 
The girl shakes her head "why?" She asked
"Cos you got me! Come my lady, let me you to your class. I will be yout knight in shinning armor. I won't let anyone gives you punishment." jonghyun asked for her hand while making a servant like pose.
The girl giggled and took his hands and they both started to walk away..
Yoona was left smilling after witnessing that small encounter. There were so many people walking around. None really did took the time to ask if the girl if she is ok. 
 
That was the first time Yoona notices Jonghyun as someone special
 
And then there was that incident when the whole boys in the class were supposed to be punished for damaging the school tables. They were told to clean the whole PE building. But when Yoona accidently walked pass the said building, all he saw was Jonghyun alone. She then made a point to check everyday, and only after one full week of after school cleaning that it was finally done.
 
And he had done it alone. Without anyone knowing. That is another thing that he found appealing in Jonghyun. He does things, like with the little girl or the PE building without bragging about it. He didn't do it for recognition. That makes it much more meaningful
 
"Looks will fade but attitude will stay" Yoona always said.
 
That is why, Yonna has always had a "thing" for Jonghyun. She could see past his nerdy persona and see the kind man that he was.
 
Yoona was devastated yesterday when she learned that Jonghyun was bashed because of her. That afternoon, she approached Taecyeon. She told him clearly not to mess Jonghyun, but it was obvious he wasn't listening. He kept rumbling about "what do you see in an ugly looser like him, why don't you want to be with a real man instead" while puffing his chest. "What an idiot" Yoona thought. 
 
So the worry still weigh in her mind. 
 
She was ecstatic when miss Jihyo paired her with Jonghyun but the moment she remembered about Taecyeon's threat, her worries starting to appear again. She was a little more than surprised when he said he don't mind changing partner because he doesn't want to make things difficult for her.. Hastily, she denies.
 
But then he dropped the question about the worry on her face. 
 
"Am i really that obvious..." She thought to herself.
 
She then had no choice but to tell him her real concern...
She just couldn't look up to him after saying her worries... She felt both guilt and fear that he would really reject him.
 
 
"It's ok.." 
 
 
She heard something sounding alot like it's ok.... "It can't be right?" She thought. Slowly looking up ahe then saw the new and improved Jonghyun giving him a small and somewhat awkward smile.
 
Gosh... Dimple.....
 
"Huh?...." Yonna lamely blurted out.. "Huh? Huh? Did i just blurted out huh?? God.... He must thing i am sooo lame" she berated herself.
 
Again with that awkward dimple smile.. 
 
"I said, it's ok. I can handle him. If you are ok with it, let's be partners" he said awkwardly
 
"Are you sure?... " Yoona asked again, still not forgetting the worry.
 
"Yeah, don't worry. I can handle myself" he replied, still sounding as awkward as the first.
 
She very much doubt Jonghyun could take on Taecyeon, but secretly she actually would love to do this project with Jonghyun. That, and combined with the fact that someone she always get the feeling he is someone he dependable, making her hopeful. 
 
So, she just nods and smiles brightly "ok then"
 
And so the class continued. 
 
It turned out that the project is the after effects of Korean War within the regular families. So naturally the students were asked to go to their parents and interview them. It is after all a history class. 
Yoona and Jonghyun are both in panic and excited at the same time over the fact that they will Yoona's parents. 
"What about your parents, Jonghyun-shi?" Yoona asked
"Erhmmmm... I suppose we can just Skype call them or something. I can tell them it's for school. They won't mind" Jonghyun said.
 
"This is strange,... I know i am still nervous in front of Yoona. But how come i can at least talk to her now... Hmmm... I wonder if Jiyeon did something else last night. Cos there is no way i could have spoken to her this easily to her even yesterday.. Hmm...  I'll make sure to ask her later" Jonghyun was thinking.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Before he knows it, first period is done and lunch is starting. Jonghyun was walking around the school, looking around for a new safe zone, when from the distance he saw Taecyeon and the gang. They quickly walk up to him. Knowing it would be futile to run, he just let them come.
 
As soon as he reached Jonghyun, he grabs Jonghyun by his collar "got you now, you shrimp!" He said victoriously.
"Huh! I was half surprised you didn't run away like the coward that you are?!" He taunted Jonghyun
 
"....... Whatever..." Jonghyun replied in a somewhat bored tone.
 
Feeling like he is being underestimated, Taecyeon was getting more and more infuriated. He lifted his arm and was about to strike Jonghyun's face 
 
"HEY!!! What's going on here!!!" A familiar girly voice was heard.
 
Jonghyun don't even need to turn to see who it is. It's the class president. 
Having been screamed at by her for two days in a row now, Jonghyun is familiar with her stern voice.
 
Taecyeon turned and saw that it was indeed Taeyeon. He tried to threaten her "Just off midget! You don't wanna get your pretty little face hurt, don't you?" 
But if he had expected she would back off, he had another thing coming.
 
 Instead of backing off, Taeyeon walk up closer, looking even more pissed off and sprayed Taecyeon and his goon "Watch your mouth! Who do you think you are talking to! Ok Taecyeon! I know you barely passed your grades! Do you want me to report to our teacher, complaining about your lack of manners! Do you want to get suspended!" 
 
"You wouldn't dare.." Taecyeon said.. Trying to sound menacing but fear has clearly starting to creep up in him. He really don't want his parents to find out his grades and even worse his behaviour in shcool.
 
Sensing the victory, Taeyeon smirks arrogantly and said "Try me"
 
After a moment of stand off Taecyeon finally let's go off Jonghyun, but not before pushing him hard against the wall and giving him his usual farewell threat
 
"This isn't over freak" 
 
He then walked away while giving Taeyeon death glares, in which Taeyeon responded with a smug smile.
 
After Taecyeon was gone and the crowd disperses, Taeyeon turned her attention towards Jonghyun
 
"You! Can't you just stay away from trouble for just one day! Remember! I am watching you! And don't think for a second that i forgot about what happened yesterday! I just help you because it's my job as the class president!" Taeyeon sternly said. In her head this guy is no better with Taecyeon. He has no respect any whatsoever. She was just about to continue her rant when she heard him talk.
 
"Thank you" he awkwardly said.
 
"What! Oh......" This really cuts Taeyeon train of thought. She had fully expected him to throw some disrespectful comment at her, so when he actually said thank you, it kinda caught her by surprise.
 
"Well.. Uh..... Ok,... Just don't do it again,.., Taeyeon said. 
 
Jonghyun nodded in reply, smiling his trademark strained smile and turning away. Leaving a flustered Taeyeon at his wake. "What the hell is up with him.... I bet he is up to something" she thought to herself. 
 
"But that smile though...., she wondered, still flustering when thinking about it. "aissshhhh taeyeon don't be tricked, it must be one of his tactics..." She scolded herself.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Soon enough, the class continued. It was an uneventful period after lunch. jonghyun was busy devicing routes to get away from Taecyeon when suddenly one student knocked and said Miss Jihyo asked to meet him just before school is done.
 
"Lucky!" Jonghyun muttered. Now he won't have to worry about that escape plan
 
 
Just before school finished, Jonghyun asked to be excuse a per instructed. But not before giving a cheeky goodbye wink at Taecyeon. It did the job, Taecyeon was piss off, he look like a boiled lobster, fresh and red. He probably shouldn't have done that, but somehow his cheeky side just wouldn!t let this kind of chance go.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
In the office, turns out Miss Jihyo was grilling him about his sudden change appearance. She didn't believe his excuse of using make up all this time. But with no other option, Jonghyun insisted on it. 
About half an hour after school ended, Jonghyun is still in class, getting questioned. He is starting to get restless. He keeps looking at his time, worrying about his promise to tak Jiyeon shopping.
 
"Why are keep looking at your watch? Do you have to be somewhere?" Miss Jihyo asked
 
"Yes, i kinda promised my... sister... to go shopping" he said stutteringly..
 
Miss Jihyo eyed him suspiciously for a moment before sighing loudly,
 
"Ok, let's go i'll take you home. Boys should always keep their promises to girls." She said. She will give up on the subject matter of his sudden change..... for now.. It's not like she will be able to convince him now anyways.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
 
After just a short drive, he is finally back home. 
 
Taking a deep breath he is preparing to go in...
 
"I haven't even gone shopping yet, why do i feel so tired just imagining it..... " he moaned as he entered the house.
 
 
AN: this chapter gives a little background on Yoona. I planned to give each of them a proper character development. So it'll wil be slow. But we'll get there
 
As always, please review
 
 
Skattered out