Senior Year

You Haven't Changed One Bit

magic

Youngjae's POV

High school is slowly coming to an end and the future is slowly creeping up on me and Lina. Lina got news three months ago that she got a full ride to NYU and I was first place in the JYP Audition. Weird how the both of us are slowly going to drift apart. My trainee years are going to be long and exhausting and Lina, being busy in New York, is going to take up most of her time as well. But, until that day comes, I have to conquer one last goal: Graduation

I entered the building where the ceremony was being held at. My parents left to go find themselves seats. I started looking around the decorated auditorium and finally landed my eyes on Lina talking with her parents. Both her mom and dad were highly against her going to NYU but later they decided to let her attend university in New York after they slowly convinced themselves that their little girl was becoming an adult. My parents were supportive of me becoming a trainee. Looking at Lina made me remember how beautiful she has always been in my eyes. Brings me back to the memories I had with her during our entire high school life. I remember us complaining how high school will take forever for us to finish. 3 years later and here we are, soon to be graduates. "Yoo hoo! Yoo Youngjae!" I snapped out of my trance and saw Lina waving her hands in front of me. "Oh. Hey Lina." "What's wrong? Are you nervous," she asked pouting. "No I'm not nervous, just remembering what we said freshmen year." She tilted her head in confusion. She always had that habit of tilting her head when she is confused or thinking. "Are you talking about the time when we said it would take forever for us to finish high school?" I nodded. She smiled and laughed a little. "To think high school would finish in a blink of an eye. One minute we're awkward new friends. The next, we're best friends getting ready to graduate and be on our way to our future." She walked up to me and wrapped her petite arms around my waist. I gave her a hug in return knowing that deep inside she has dredded this day for a while. "Youngjae no matter what, whether we stay in contact or decide to focuse more on our work and dreams, promise me that we will somehow continue to be friends." I rested my head on top of hers. You would think we were a couple, but I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to be long distant. University would be tough on her and the long hours of me being a trainee and an idol would stress our relationship and I would end up only hurting her. "I promise Lina." "Ok students! Start lining up in alphabetical order!" Lina and I let go of the hug. "See you in a bit," she smiled widely. The both of us separated, lining up and getting ready to enter adult world.

Finally! We graduated. It was a nice ceremony. Surprisingly Lina didn't tear up. Her parents and my parents met up in front of the building getting ready to take pictures. My mom was using Lina's camera to take a crap load of pictures. Lina agreed to edit and develope the graduation picures since my  mom fell in love with her photography. Lina's parents even surprised her on her birthday by giving her a new laptop with installed programs to let her professionally edit her pictures. Now instead of random websites with less than 10 filters, she now has a unlimited amount of choices to edit her pictures. They actually come out pretty nice. "Lina, how about I give you about $35 for the photos once they are developed," my mom asked. "That's ok Mrs. Yoo. I'll edit the photographs for free! I don't mind it since you're my friend's mom. No need to pay for the pictures!" That's the think about this girl; she never likes feeling burdened about family (yes she considers my mom her second mom) giving her money for her work. "I'll edit them as soon as I can and give Youngjae the prints," she smiled widely. "Ok dear. One more picture. Why don't you and Youngjae show a cute face?" Damn. I hate aegyeo. "Just puff your face and make cat paws and we should be good," said Lina. Just for my mother, I did what Lina said and the picture was taken. "Ahh so cute my little babies!" Oh mother.

Lina doesn't leave for New York until the second to last week of August and I dont' start my training til the next week Lina leaves. Because we won't be seeing each other for a long time, the both of us have been spending each and every day together doing whatever. Whether it be walking around, shopping, playing sports, anything! It is now August and Lina is going to leave pretty soon. The dreaded day comes closer and closer and I decided to make her last full day in Korea special. I want to take her around town one last time, walk in the beach, and make a wish using lanterns. I called her to spend the day and to be ready to be at the beach later in the evening.

All day we walked around to our favorite spots. We went to our favorite shops, coffee place, everywhere! It was now 8:00 and we finally made it to the beach.

Beach

"Wow Youngjae! It's beautiful tonight! Man I wish I had brought my camera." That was one of the beautiful things about today; She didn't bring her camera. But she did use her phone. "It's not a beautiful and crystal clear quality picutre but hey at least I get to keep this memory." She took of her sandals and the both of us decided to walk along side the water. We were very close together, but it wasn't an awkward closeness. Suddenly, I felt Lina lightly holding onto my hand. Out of an instinct, I linked our fingers together as we continued to silently walk along the beach. We didn't need to speak or look at each other to know that the both of us are taking a joy out of the last bits of time we have with each other. And holding her hand felt comfortable too. She didn't pull back nor did she commented our of embarassment. Our hands linked together felt like we were meant for be for each other. Her petite hand felt like it was meant to be held by my hand and no one else. To think, I could have been with her for a long time, but I fear that me becoming an idol would only bring harm and sadness to her. I made a promise since sophomore year that I would make sure she is happy, even if it means I would have to sacrifice my own happiness.

It was about 8:25 and I feel that it was the perfect time for me to show her the surprise. "Lina I have a surprise for you." "Youngjae you didn't have to buy me anything!" "Actually what I brought was at a pretty reasonable price." I digged through my bag and pulled out the lanterns. "I brought us two lanterns." I grabbed the two sharpies and gave one to Lina. "Since we won't be seeing each other for a while I want us to write wishes. Whatever you have been wishing, write it on the lantern. We'll read bits of it to one another, light them up, and watch our messages be sent to the heavens." Even in the dim lights I can easily see how her eyes lit up. "Youngjae this is going to be beautiful! Ok, let's give each other at least 15 minutes to write down our wishes." The both of us separated to write down our wishes. To be honest, I only have one wish: to become a successul artist. The rest of my wishes has always been for her well being and safety. So, I ended up writing this:

I only wish that I become a successful artist, show everyone my musical talents and be able to spread my music across the globe. I can only wish for Lina to be safe and live up to her potentials. I know that she would be an amazing photographer and that she would do well when she starts living in New York. I wish for all the best for her whether it will be a job opportunity, study abroad, anything as long as she is happy and smiling everyday.

As I finished up my wishes, I looked at Lina to see if she was almost done. She looked so focus on writing down her wish. "Lina are you almost finished with your wish?" She write down a couple of words and she was done. "Hey Youngjae, is it ok if I don't share my wish? I'm a little shy and I just want it between me and the heavens." I smiled in approval. To be honest, I didn't really want to share my wish. I dugged through my backpack and grabbed a lighter. The both of us decided to light our own lanterns. Lina grabbed the lighter while I instructed her on what to do. Soon enough we were able to send my lantern flying. Quickly, we grabbed hers, lit it up and sent it flying as well. Of course, Lina being Lina, she grabbed her phone and took a picture and a short video. As I looked at the lanterns, they were so in synch with one another. They were just as close to almost crash together but they never did, they just kept on flying. "Youngjae?" "Hmm?" Lina grabbed my hand and linked her fingers with mine. "Thank you for this amazing day. You will always be a good friend. Whatever girl you get together with will be one lucky lady." I looked at her while she was staring at the lanterns. How I wished for her to be the lucky lady. "You'll be there at the airport, right," Lina asked. I feel that if I don't drag myself to say our final goodbye, I would never forgive myself. "I'll be there."

4:30 A.M. That was when I had to be there at the airport. I am sleepy! I met up with Lina and it was time for her to start going inside the airplane. She was already saying her farewell to her mom and dad. Her mom was tearing up a bit and surprisingly her dad. I never see him as an emotional type of guy. He has every right to since his daughter is going to be on the other side of the world, in univeristy, becoming a young adult in society. Stealthly, I grabbed my phone and took a picture of the hugging trio. "10 minutes til boarding!" Lina came up to me and it was time to say goodbye. We did nothing but hug each other because neither of us had the guts to speak. If we did, me or her would end up in a puddle of tears. "Tell me one thing," she said. I pulled away from the hug and looked at her eyes. "Tell me one of your wishes that you wrote on your lantern." "5 minutes til boarding the plane." I better tell her quickly. "I wished for you to have an amazing experience in New York." She smiled and kissed me on the cheek. "Thank you Youngjae." Then I got curious. "Tell me what you wrote." Before she could answer, the stupid speaker was on. "Everyone boarding the plane to New York should start entering the plane immediately." "I gotta go Youngjae." She hugged me again and whispered in my ear. "Don't overwork and become one of the best damn trainees out there." She let go and gave me one last smile. One smile, and she was gone. 10 minutes later, me and her parents looked out the window and saw that her plane had taken off. Nothing was left but my love for her and one tear that escaped my eye.

Lina's POV

As I sat down on my seat and plugged in my headphones, I looked out the window and saw Youngjae and my parents waiting for my plane to take off. I never got the chance to answer his question, bringing me back to what I wrote.

I wish for my parents to live a long and happy marriage. No more fights and no more stress. I will become the best I can be to be able to take care of my parents. I wish for my experience in New York and in NYU to be the best in my life. Most importantly, I wish to one day confess my feelings to Youngjae in person. Telling him via text is too cowardly and not as personal as it should be. As for Youngjae, I know he will be an amazing artist. I wish for everyone around the world to love his music and to watch over him and support him! 

Once the plane took off, I saw my parents and Youngjae waving. I touched the window, silently telling them, not a goodbye, but, see you soon!

 

A/N

IT IS ALMOST DONE! JUST ONE MORE CHAPTER! Ok this chapter was suppose to finish and be published last week but the stupid backspace button decided to be mean and made me lose all of my work. Now I know the power of the save button and the hide chapter button ^^ I will make sure by next week the final chapter will be published.

Please comment tell me what you guys think so far! I am amazed by how many people have subscribed! :O and I am loving everyone's comments and support for this short story! Thank you! And keep it up with the comments!