Sophomore Year

You Haven't Changed One Bit

Large

Youngjae's POV

*Click. Click* Aish this girl. "Yah! Don't you think you should at least enjoy the carnival instead of taking 10 pictures per second?" She put away her phone and looked at me with a pout. I've known her well enough for over a year to know that she would give me a pout just so I'll lighten up my mood. "But I have an interest in photography. How else and I suppose to know my style if I'm not constantly taking picutres?" She continued to pout and I couldn't help it. She was too cute. "If you had enough money to buy a new phone, why couldn't you have bought a camera instead?" Lina looked down. The sparkle that was in her eyes were now dull. "To be honest, I got this phone out of pitty. Home hasn't been good to be this past 4 months." I stared at her. "Are your parents fighting again?" Although we've been friends for a year, we talk about our personal lives, and it felt like we've been friends longer than that. "Yes and no. Three months after school started they were arguing and split up. But they got back together around November." I never knew this. Usually when her parents were having an argument, she would come to school with a frown on her face. Everyday since school started she has always had this smile on her face, as if nothing was happening at home. "You remember this past summer when my dog was throwing up and having digestive problems?" I nodded. "Yeah. Your parents had to borrow money to take him to the vet. You said that he was perfectly healthy." "I thought so too." Oh no, this can't be good. "My dog started limping on his leg last month. It never got better so we brought him to the vet." She paused and in a shaky breath. I stepped up to her and hugged her. She wrapped her arms around my waist and sobbed. I have only seen this girl cried two times, but her crying like this was breaking my heart. "The vet said that he has been throwing up and limping because he had a cancer and had a tumour that was eating the bone on his leg." She sobbed some more. "Any longer and that bone would have snapped. Our only choices were to either amputate his leg or put him to sleep." She continued to cry and I tried my best to calm her down. I my fingers through her hair, hoping that she would calm down a little. Her staggering breaths stopped. "The vet owned the same breed we had and she knew how much we loved him. The total cost from the visit, to the blood work, to just putting him to sleep would have cost over $500. But because she saw how much we loved him and had the same dog we had, we had to only pay for the blood work." She let go and stepped away, and started to chuckle. "In honesty, I hope that vet finds a $20 bill on the ground. Because if we were to pay for that vet bill, we wouldn't even have a decent Christmas." She smiled a little. "Mianhe." She looked me in the eyes, red and puffy. "I know that your dog was your best friend, even your own little brother. But why was the phone out of pitty?" "The money my dad used to buy my phone was suppose to be put into my dog's surgery if he needed it. Since we had to put him down, he bought me a phone. In fact, this is my only Christmas present from my parents since we're tight on money." That's right. I forgot her parents were tight on money. "But, despite the fighting and the death and this year not being my year at all, I only have the future to look foward. I have nothing to worry about but myself." She smiled, her usual smile. Despite her eyes being stained with tears, the sparkle was back in her eyes. "Come on Youngjae! Let's squash this whole drama scene and go have fun!" 

We went to every ride the carnival had to offer. Of course, from time to time, photographer Lina would come out and take pictures. I walked past the bathrooms when she abruptly stopped me. "I'll be right back! Take care of this!" She gave me her phone and ran to the bathroom. I stuffed my hands in my coat pocket since it was cold on this Christmas Eve. Then, something interesting caught my attention. It was a Canon camera! I walked up to the booth to ask about the camera. "Excuse me, but how much is the camera?" "We're not selling the camera. You can only get the camera if you have the lucky numbers. We're having a raffle tonight at 7:30 and will announce the winner. If your number is called, you have 20 minutes to claim your prize or else, we'll do another drawing." Seems easy, I just need luck. "Ok. One ticket please." The guy gave me a ticket and I thanked him. I stuffed the ticket deep inside my jean pocket and waited for Lina. "Youngjae! Let's go!" I looked ahead and saw Lina waving at me. This girl.

We already rode every ride so we decided to play the typical carnival games. We had no luck in winning prizes and it got me worried about the raffle. There was only one ride we haven't rode at that was the farris wheel, but I wanted to wait til later tonight when the fireworks go off. "Alright ladies and gentleman! We are officially starting the raffle!" I dig through my pocket and took the ticket out. *23-28-21* "If you are the owner of number 23..." Ok "28" No way "And 21, you have 20 minutes to claim your prize!" "I WON!" Lina jumped up a little from my loud voice. "Congrats Youngjae! Let's go get your prize." Wait, my prize is her Christmas present! "No!" She stopped and looked at me with a confused look. "I want us to get a good view of the fireworks so we're riding the farris wheel. I'm pretty sure the line is going to be long, so you go save us a spot while I'll go get my prize, ok?" She tilted her head and shrugged her shoulders. "Alright." She waved me goodbye and ran towards the farris wheel. "Finally," I exasperated. I started to run towards the booth but already I was tired *Damn I need to start running more.* Five minutes later I found the booth. "I...am the ...the winner...for the camera," I said in each breath I took. "Alright I just need your ticket for confirmation. I digged in my pocket and gave him the ticket. "Ok. Congrats on winning your prize," he said and gave me a box wrapped in Christmas wrapping. Works for me since I can give Lina her present today. "Thank you, sir."

I  quickly walked to the farris wheel and scanned the line Lina. I had on a huge smile and hid the present behind my back. I saw a familar girl staring at her phone screen, taking pictures. "Lina!" She tore her eyes away from her phone and waved at me when she saw me walking towards her. "Hey Youngjae! Did you get your prize?" I smiled wider. "Yeah." I brought the present towards her. "You've been through so much this past year, you deserve to at least smile without worrying about home. Merry Christmas Lina." I looked into her big eyes as she slowly unwrapped her present. Once she saw that it was a camara, she gasped and put a hand to cover . "Youngjae, you didn't!" I continued to smile. She came to me and gave me a big hug. "Thank you so much Youngjae!"

We got on the farris wheel and the fireworks was starting to show. Because we needed to read in full detail about the camara, Lina was stuck to using her phone for now. I was't really paying much attention about the fireworks. I turned my head to see Lina's face, beautifully lit from the fireworks. Just to be her reason to smile made me realize my purpose: To protect this girl from disappointments and discouragment. To be able to help her live up her dream. "Youngjae, let's take a picture, one last one for tonight." I nodded. She turned her phone so that the flash would be on us along wtih a timer. Our face was close together and we waited for the flash. 1,2.... Before the camera counted to three, she turned her head and kissed my cheek. 3. And the flash appeared. "Youngjae, this may not have been my year, but every moment I spend with you is unforgetable. Thank you for being there for me."

Lina, you have no idea how much you make my heart beat. Your smile is what makes my entire day. I can't confess to you right now, but I think I have fallen in love with you.

A/N:

YAY! 2nd chapter came out! Ok the story was suppose to come 2 hours ago but I accidentaly pressed the backspace button and completely lost my entire work. TT.TT

Just to let everyone know, the beginning of the chapter with the dog death is my own personal experience, so it was a little difficult to write that.

Please comment and hopefully I can update as soon as possible! ^^