Act 4 Part 1

Swan Lake

A/N: Don't forget that Chanhee looks like Changhyun with the necklace's spell. So everyone sees Changhyun, not Chanhee. 


 

Chanhee knew automatically it was going to be hard to warn Prince Jonghyun about Seungho when he felt a pinch against his back. He glanced at Seungho briefly before turning back to the court, composing his face as Jonghyun came forward. As Seungho moved to disappear into the crowd, Chanhee heard his warning, whispered against his ear.

“You know how much damage I can do.”

And Chanhee's heart dropped. He could see how happy Jonghyun was, his hand reaching out for him while Byunghyun was standing off to the side, smiling sweetly at them. How beautiful he looked. Ignoring the gasps and stares from everyone, Chanhee took Jonghyun’s hand and looked deeply into his eyes. 

Please Notice! I'm not Changhyun! Please, he's doomed to die if you pledge your love to me and not him. Seungho is here, please realize that. Know that Seungho is here and can hurt everyone here. Wake up! 

But Jonghyun obviously didn't notice Chanhee's internal struggle as he brought Chanhee's hand up to his mouth, gently kissing the back of it. “You look beautiful tonight. I'm glad you made it. Do you like your clothes? I hand picked them for you.”

Chanhee pretended to be shy as Jonghyun wrapped his arm around his. “They're lovely. Have you been waiting long for me?”

Jonghyun shook his head, not revealing that he had been impatient in waiting for Changhyun. “No, I have been busy greeting my guests and making sure I don't offend anyone.” A tiny lie but he wasn't going to make himself look pathetic. “Would you like to dance? Or are you hungry? Thirsty?”

Chanhee was hungry and was about to say so but then an idea struck him. Seungho didn't know anything about ballet, he deemed it a boring method of dancing and insulted anyone who danced it. But Chanhee had loved seeing others perform and whenever he was forced to go into town to gather resources, he went to any performances that were showing and even went to the library to gather all the information he could about ballet. So even though he wasn't graceful enough to dance, Chanhee knew the moves and the meaning behind them. So if he couldn't warn Jonghyun verbally, he could show Jonghyun that he wasn't the real Changhyun. It would be the only thing that Seungho wouldn't anticipate. 

He took a deep breath, ignoring his growling stomach. “Dancing would be wonderful. Then maybe we can eat and meet your parents before making your vow.”

Jonghyun nodded, “Good idea.” He clapped his hands, motioning to the orchestra who picked up on his signal. The music changed quickly, going from a cheerful tune to a lovely slow melody. One that obviously invited couples to dance to. “Shall we?”

The crowd, still in shock as Jonghyun and Chanhee moved into the center of the dance floor, backed up a bit to give them space. Everyone knew that both Jonghyun and Changhyun were amazing dancers so the atmosphere was high as Jonghyun wrapped his arms around Chanhee and twirled him, gentle caressing Chanhee's arms. Chanhee blushed as Jonghyun let him go with a soft touch to his cheek, getting on one knee and letting Chanhee be the center of attention, which gave him the opportunity he was looking for. 

He spun around, finding Seungho off to the side as he stopped, raising his hand to point in that direction. He circled his face before motioning as if he was wiping something off, trying to signal that his face was a fake. Chanhee brought his hands up to his chest, trying to emphasize the necklace. Here look at this. Changhyun wasn't wearing this. I'm not Changhyun. But all Jonghyun did was twirl and and come closer, bringing his hand to wave in the air. So Chanhee changed his plan. He had seen Changhyun and Jonghyun dancing and had figured out that Changhyun was really good at spinning, so Chanhee started spinning, slightly off balance. He smirked as Jonghyun looked a bit confused before joining him in spinning. Hopefully he was starting to realize that it was Chanhee in front of him. 

While Chanhee and Jonghyun were dancing, Sunny and Byunghyun looked at each other in confusion. Sunny sipped on her champagne, her foot tapping against the marble floor. She watched as Jonghyun's brow furrowed and how Changhyun seemed a bit hurried, turning to Byunghyun with pursed lips. “Does this seem weird to you or am I imagining it? It feels like something is wrong here.” 

Byunghyun shook his head, “No I feel the same. The last time I saw Changhyun, he was really excited to go to the ball but he looks off. Like something's wrong with him but he won't say.” Briefly Byunghyun wondered if Seungho did something to Changhyun and looked around, just in case. 

He silently chuckled at Princess Minzy's jealous face as she watched the princes dance, glanced over the princesses that arrived while Jonghyun danced with Changhyun (Princesses Dasom and Hyerin), before noticing a tall imposing figure, just watching the princes dance. Byunghyun decided to investigate by grabbing a tray from a nearby waiter, waving Sunny off as he asked guests if they needed anything, all while watching the figure. It didn't look like Seungho but magic could hide everything and that thought send chills up Byunghyun's spine. He had to talk to Jonghyun fast.

The sky was dark as Changhyun sobbed as best he could for a swan. If he wasn't sad, the honks would have made him laugh. He couldn't move, couldn't talk, and there was nothing he could do because the moment Jonghyun made the vow with Chanhee, he would probably either die or stay a swan forever. He looked around and sniffed. It was cold and damp in the tower and there was only one window across from him. 

He could hear the moon, just taunting him for being fooling into thinking he could escape Seungho and meet Jonghyun at his ball. He wondered how the night would have went if he had made it to the ball. He could just see it now. Jonghyun’s smile and warm strong arms as they danced the night away. His vow of everlasting love breaking him free of his curse. He closed his eyes, not wanting to see the terrible surroundings he was forced into. He could have found his mother and hugged her worries away. 

He shifted around to get more comfy, but instead hit his wings against the chains a bit roughly. Thankfully he wasn't bleeding but being wrapped in chains and stuffed inside a cage, didn't allow for much movement. All he could do was look at the runes crudely drawn on the walls of the tower, which reminded Changhyun of Seungho and wondered if he was the one who made them. He wished Chanhee was here to talk to him but he knew the poor boy was suffering as well. Changhyun looked at a rune that was shaped as a wave and thought about something Chanhee had whispered to him when he had first been transformed as a swan.

‘Since your curse takes much magic to use and maintain, the link between you and Seungho is almost like a small stream. If you concentrate hard enough, you can use the magic. You can do small magic using the bond, such as communicate with me in case you need help or getting food when Seungho decides to starve you. But it can’t change you back, since it’s not enough energy to break the spell. And you can’t use it to break chains or move water, that’s elemental magic and that needs more magic than even Seungho has right now.'

Changhyun thought about it. He couldn’t break the chains, so that was out of the question. But Chanhee said he could communicate with it. Could he reach Jonghyun and tell him about Seungho? Changhyun took a deep breath and focused. He tried to feel the bond between him and Seungho, as creepy as that seemed to him. He was glad there was no noise around he as he tried to imagine the magic surrounding him. It took him 4 tries to properly connect with the magic. It was taking a serious toll on him, since he had never had magic nor used it in his entire life. Once he had a hold on the magic, mixing in thoughts and feelings he had of Jonghyun, sweat dripped down his beak as he dragged the magic mentally out of his mind and towards Jonghyun. 

Changhyun felt a tug and suddenly his mind saw Jonghyun, dancing with a disguised Chanhee. Hopefully, Changhyun pushed the magic past the guests. He saw Seungho and panicked as Seungho narrowed his eyes, obviously feeling magic in the air. Changhyun worked faster, making the magic hit Jonghyun's body, which froze before resuming the jump he was about to do. Now in Jonghyun's mind, Changhyun was able show Jonghyun who he was dancing with. 

Jonghyun! You're in danger! Seungho forced Chanhee to dress up as me and is planning for you to waste your vow and take your kingdom from you. Please see past Seungho's illusions!

Changhyun was about to tell Jonghyun that he was trapped but then he felt a harsh tug and then he was back in his own mind, the runes glowing around him. Seungho had found out. Changhyun huffed, his body very tired. But at least he was able to tell Jonghyun. He closed his eyes, not knowing that sending that message to Jonghyun had given Jonghyun a small amount of magic, enough to see Chanhee under the necklace's spell. Jonghyun brought Chanhee up close, a smile painted on his lips as he whispered.

“Chanhee?”

Chanhee smiled widely, Jonghyun had figured it out. “Yes. Quickly before Seungho notices. You must make the vow while thinking about Changhyun. Say his name clearly so everyone can hear. Magic knows intent and your vow will not be wasted if you specify Changhyun. Don't look at me when you do it, look at the ceiling. When you make the vow, we'll have a limited amount of time to save Changhyun. He's trapped in a small cage, hung above crocodile infested waters. Tell Byunghyun to gather weapons. You need to kill my father so that he may never threaten you again.”

Jonghyun nodded and as the music ended, he waved for a waiter to bring them something to drink. “Alright. Eat while I talk to Byunghyun.”

Chanhee nodded, watching Jonghyun walk away before moving towards the buffet table. He could feel eyes drilling into the back of his head and took a deep breath. Soon he would be free and Seungho would be gone.