Act 1

Swan Lake

In a far land, away from that deserted lake where the beautiful swan lived, was a kingdom. The lands were plentiful and the villagers were happy. They were safe from danger and it was the most perfect place to live. The kingdom's rulers, King Minsoo and Queen Niel, were loved by all. They were known for strong determination and efficient uses of the lands around them. And following in their steps, was their son Jonghyun. 

He was a quiet boy, who often had quite a temper. He was rumored to have the hair the color of a raven and eyes so deep that you could drown in them. When in reality he simply had soft dark locks of hair and deep chocolate eyes. From a young age he was very studious. He was a master of archery and dancing, especially ballet. He had traveled around other kingdoms and performed for kingdoms. Ballet was his main passion. He was constantly searching for that person who he could really feel the connection and be able to perform a Pas De Deux. 

The prince was soon turning 18, a joyous time for the kingdom. The Queen began planning for the grandest ball everyone had ever seen. The grand ballroom was to be decorated with the finest decorations. Everyone in the kingdom was invited to watch the prince trade his crown for another, signifying he was of age. 

Jonghyun was in his room, getting his suit for the party made when his mother came in. He waved for the maids to leave and sat down on Jonghyun's bed. 

“My dear boy, you are turning 18 in a week. How it joys me to see you look for distinguished.”

Jonghyun smiled.

“Thank you mother. Is there something you want?”

Queen Niel sighed and straightened his back, ready for the argument that was about to ensue. 

“You know that me and your father are growing old. And we believe it's time for you marry. During your birthday party you must dance with 6 princesses and choose one as your bride.”

Jonghyun turned to his mother, his face paling. 

“Mother it's much too early for me to marry. I'm barely turning 18! I want some freedom to choose my own partner in life.”

Niel sighed.

“I know dear but face the facts, your father is getting old. It's harder for him to travel in order to make peace treaties and do his duties.”

“Mother, can't I at least wait a year? Let me travel around and perform ballet one more time.”

Niel bit lip and played with fingers.

“You know you can't leave the kingdom anymore. You are the sole heir to the throne and the assassination attempts will just get worse from here.”

Jonghyun ran his hands through his hair and sat down. There was no way out of this, was there? He sighed and held back the tears that were about to fall. 

The queen sighed and hugged his son, whispering into his ear.

“I am sorry.”

And with that, he left. Jonghyun huffed and grabbed his coat. He needed to let out some steam, so he went looking for his attendant. He found Byunghun making sure the music was going as planned. He waited until Byunghun's back was to him before stealthily moving right behind him and breathing hard on his ear. Byunghun jumped 20 feet into the air and turned to find Jonghyun laughing his off.

“Sire you-!”

Byunghun massaged his temples and smacked his charge on the head and waited. 

Jonghyun pouted and poked Byunghun in the shoulder.

“Get my bow and quiver, we go hunting now.”

Byunghun bowed, “Of course sire.”

Jonghyun grimaced and smacked Byunghun back.

“You know to call me Channie when you address me.”

Byunghun frowned,

“Yes but we are in public.”

Jonghyun frowned and nodded. He started walking, knowing Byunghun was right behind him. He waited in the hall as Byunghun grabbed their weapons. As they made their way outside, Byunghun asked him a question.

“So why are you upset? What happened this time?”

Jonghyun cursed in his mind. 

“What do you mean? I just wanted to go hunting.”

Byunghun gave him that look. He wasn't going to take any excuses. Jonghyun sighed and told him. 

“Mother wants me to choose a bride at the ball.”

Byunghun looked perplexed.

“Yes and what about it?”
Jonghyun threw his arms into the air in exasperation.

“I'm barely turning 18! I want to live life! I want to go out and travel, maybe fall in love.” 

Byunghun nodded.

“Your parents only want what's best for you. They want you safe and to fall in love with someone.”

Jonghyun sighed.

“But what if my true love isn't here? What if they land beyond these lands? I'll never get to meet them.”

He ducked under a branch and waited for Byunghun to do the same. He breathed in the fresh air and leaned against a tree. 

“Channie, I can't do anything but support you in whatever you choose.”

Jonghyun smiled.

“Thanks Byungie!”

They smiled at each other before delving farther into the forest. Jonghyun hoped to catch something big to take home to show his parents. Maybe a buck. He held his bow and arrow steadily and hopped over a root. He could still hear Byunghun behind him and moved ahead. He heard rustling noises above him and hid behind a tree. He looked up and saw some swans flying up ahead. 

Swans would make a perfect catch at the moment. He quickly followed them, losing Byunghun in the process. He moved past trees and jumped onto rocks, never losing the swans in his sight. After a few minutes, the swans broke apart, leaving one traveling alone. He decided to target that swan and went faster. He looked briefly at the sun and was amazed. He and Byunghun had been out here for hours. The sun was now just starting to set and he was still chasing that swan. 

Jonghyun gave one last sprint, finally making it out of the forest and finding a large lake. He was puzzled. The lake was by a bunch of ruins. He looked around and tried remembering if there was any information over this ruins. He looked at a small crest before hearing a small noise. He saw the swan and took aim with his bow and arrow.