Prologue

Swan Lake

(Disclaimer: I do not own the Swan Lake or Thumbelina)

 


There's said to be a tale, a most sad one at that. But what most don't know, is that it actually ended in happiness. The trials and tribulations the story had was almost too much. The main characters seemed to give up at the most important moments. And the sorrow the story contained moved the listeners beyond belief. I am the teller of this story. I will tell you all my tale of how love has a win of winning.

Our story begins in a grand ballroom, filled with young men and women. They were dancing to their heart's delight. The lights were colorful and bursting with life, giving a grandiose feeling to the party. A particular young man was watching out into the crowd. His warm eyes gave way to an innocent smile, which had various young women swooning. That young man was the very prince of the castle in which the party was. Of course the whole kingdom was here because it was the prince's 18th birthday. 

The prince was a sweet, kind and thoughtful man. He had soft raven hair cupping his round face, accentuating his innocent aura around him. He was a bit short but that didn't matter to many. He was an ace ballerina, often dancing for his mother. He was known for his gracefulness. In all this prince was the epitome of a perfect future king, except for one flaw. He was childish at points. He would act cute for everyone and get everything he wanted. 

But fortunately he didn't show that side often, always staying quiet and always in the background. He moved towards his mother and bowed, waiting until he got the signal to rise. He smiled at his mother, who sighed at him instead.

“Changhyun must we go over this again?
 
The prince simply smiled. 

“Go over what mother?

The Queen, the lovely Chundoong, waved his hand in the air, dismissing all guards around them. He motioned for Changhyun to come closer. He ran his hand through Changhyun's hair.

“My sweet child, you know what I'm talking about-!”

The Queen motioned, subtly pointing to the whole room. Changhyun turned to see the young crowd, always smiling. 

“It is your 18th birthday! This ball was thrown in your honor!~ And you know what you must do by the end of tonight.”

Changhyun's face fell. He bit his lip and rubbed his neck. He debated about arguing with his mother. He watched everyone dance and felt envious. They weren't a prince who had to choose his life partner in the next hours. He knew his mother was correct, the kingdom would soon need a new king. His father, King Joon, was suffering from an incurable disease and could die within the next couple of years. 

“Mother you know I want to marry while being in love, just like you and father. Looking out right now, none of these girls appeal to me and the men here aren't to my taste. Nobody has that spark that can maybe join me one day in ballet, doing a Pas De Deux .”

Chundoong hid a smile as he watched his young naive baby talk about love. He sighed, Changhyun had always wanted a love as strong as his and Joon's. Maybe he was right. He had also been watching the people gather and mingle and he was also certain that nobody here could bring out the flame in Changhyun's heart. But this would cause a predicament. Every child of the crown had found their true love on their 18th birthday. Maybe Changhyun would be the first to change that. He turned away from his thoughts and saw his boy had left him silently. He chuckled and went back to watching the party, smiling at his husband sitting next to him.

Changhyun smiled as he was able to get away from his mother and away from the crowd. He took a glass of wine and made his way outside towards the garden. He walked the rose bush path, loving the way the moonlight hit his face. He stopped to smell the sweet roses and sipped his wine carefully. He sighed sadly, now would have been a great time to have a young lover to cuddle and spend the time kissing sweetly, maybe even reciting poetry. He kept walking deeper into the garden, not noticing he was too far away from the noises and cheers of the ball. 

He finally sat down in his favorite spot, a swing surrounded by aromatic lilies and roses. He started to swing, singing a song he kept close to his heart.

“I know there's someone somewhere 

Someone who's sure to find me soon 

After the rain goes there are rainbows 

I'll find my rainbow soon “

Changhyun looked at the sparkling moon and kept singing. His voice unknowing attracted the attention of a person who had been looking for him. The person watched with a sinister grin at the boy, coming closer.

“Soon it won't be just pretend 

Soon a happy ending 

Love, can you hear me 

If you're near me,Sing your song 

Sure and strong, and soon.”

Changhyun closed his eyes and hummed. He loved sitting here and having tranquility. He suddenly looked around. He just noticed that he was too far from the ball and that there were no guards near. He stood, ready to leave when he saw a man standing there. He felt something like he was in danger so he tried to move past the older man but was suddenly addressed.

“You sing very beautifully.”

Changhyun responded hesitantly.
“Yes well thank you, I must take my leave.”

Changhyun tried leaving again but this time the man took him by the arm.

“Why leave so fast? We just started talking.”

Changhyun frowned.

“Take your hand off of me or I shall be forced to break it. I do not have to give you an excuse to why I am leaving.”

Changhyun took his hand away and walked away. He started to panic, he wasn't safe until he could see the lights of the ball. He tried moving faster. He only made it to the exit of the rose garden before he felt his body tense up. He couldn't move an inch, only having the ability to breath. His eyes darted side to side before he saw the man walk into his sight. The man shook his head at him. 

“Dear dear prince, you shouldn't walk away from others who are trying to talk to you.”

Changhyun gulped, the man had magic. It was the only reason he could explain for not being able to move anymore. The man moved in front of him and caressed Changhyun's cheek, making Changhyun shiver on the inside. 

“Now my prince, back to what we were talking about. You are a great singer and you are extremely gorgeous. Now excuse me, I know your name but you don't know mine. I am Seungho and as you can obviously see, I have magic.” 

Seungho shifter from foot to foot. 

“Now I bet you wonder why I bother with any of this. Well here's the thing: I was once in love with a strong and vibrant man. He was just like you, innocent, cute and such a dancer. But he was taken away from me from some fool who wasn't even smart.”

Seungho turned to him, with fierce anger in his eyes.

“The love of my love was taken from me. Your mother was destined to be mine! And so I shall take something from her, so dear to her heart, that she will have no choice but to be mine. And so my goal is to take over the kingdom. And the easiest way to do that-”

Seungho smirked,

“Is to marry you dear prince.”

Changhyun was stunned. This man wanted to marry him? Just to get to his mother. He waited until Seungho let his spell loose a bit before talking.

“I will never marry you! The kingdom will never be yours as long as I live!”

Seungho tighten up the spell on Changhyun, forcing him to stop talking. Seungho took him by the chin.
“You will marry me. But since you refused me this time, your punishment will be severe.” 

And with that, Seungho and Changhyun disappeared from the garden. They reappeared beside a lake beside a broken down castle. Seungho pushed Changhyun until he was right next to the lake and gestured to the land in front of them.

“You see this? This was once my kingdom before your mother left me. Then everything went wrong. The crops failed, the animals started to die and the people left. The only things left are my castle and my son.”

And as if he was summoned, a young feminine boy appeared. His face was soft and gentle, and his body looked fair. His hair was short and colored a chocolate brown. He looked surprised and turned to his father. 

“Father who is this?”

Changhyun shivered at the boy's enchanting voice. Seungho patted his son's head before responding.

“Chanhee this is Changhyun. Remembered what I told you?”

Chanhee nodded. Seungho smiled before turning back to Changhyun. He started to chant and the air seemed to fill with magic. Changhyun looked at Chanhee as he pulled Changhyun towards the water. His eyes started to plead with Chanhee, who shook his head and whispered.

“I'm sorry. I can not disobey father. I'm so sorry.”

Changhyun started to cry as Chanhee left him in the water. The magic in the air started to wrap themselves around Changhyun, making the water swirl higher and higher around him. Changhyun was finally able to move his arms but them his whole body felt like it was melting. The pain was so intense he couldn't yell out. 

As the water fall back down to the lake, there was no Changhyun. There was only a beautiful swan with heartbreaking eyes. The swan turned to Seungho who had started to talk.

“I wouldn't have done this if you had said yes. This hurts you more than it hurts me. Rethink your answer, I will be back tomorrow night.”

And with that Seungho left, leaving Chanhee behind. Chanhee quickly went to Changhyun's side and told him about the spell.

“By day you are a swan and only at night, by the side of this enchanted lake, will you return to human form. The spell can only be broken if one who has never loved before swears to love you forever. I cannot help you, I have no powers and my father will kill me if he finds out I helped you. I'm sorry little one. Good night.”

Chanhee left, leaving the silent swan to cry the night away.