Act 2 Part 1

Swan Lake

As Jonghyun took aim, it suddenly felt like something was stopping him. The air seemed tense. It had the feeling of exciting with an under tinge of sorrow. The air started to pick up, whipping through the prince's hair. He watched as the water rose into the air, twirling like a mini tornado. The swan seemed, for some reason, to be very happy to see the water. The swan waited for the water to surround him and small glittering lights covered the water. Jonghyun blinked as the the tornado of water smoothly drooped back into the lake, revealing a beautiful young boy.

The boy had soft raven hair cupping his round face, accentuating his innocent aura around him. Jonghyun couldn't stop starting at his fair face and lovely eyes. They were so deep and dark, full of passion. He was a bit short compared to Jonghyun but he didn't care. Jonghyun's eyes trailed downwards, taking in the lean body and the detailed clothes before looking back at the boy's eyes.

Jonghyun stepped forward, accidentally stepping on a stick. The sudden sound made the boy look at him and the boy started backing away. Jonghyun panicked. He threw out his hand and motioned for the young boy to stay calm.

“Wait! Please stay. I'm not going to hurt you.”

The boy stopped and looked at him with distrust. His eyes trailed to Jonghyun's bow and arrow. Jonghyun put on a shy smile and the boy bit his lip. Jonghyun took one step forward and put down his weapon before walking towards the boy. Jonghyun sat down next to the lake and watched the boy. The boy hesitated before moving towards Jonghyun. He sat at the end of the lake before talking in the most gorgeous voice Jonghyun had ever heard. 

“I'm Changhyun, Who are you?”

Jonghyun blushed. This lovely creature was asking his name. He coughed before stuttering an answer.

“I'm Jonghyun, The prince of Capella.”

Changhyun blinked, 

“The prince of Capella? I didn't know that Capella had a young prince. What are you doing here?”

Jonghyun blinked, Changhyun knew about Capella?

“I was hunting and I was separated from my attendant. How do you know about Capella if it's so far away? Where are we anyways?”

Changhyun giggled, making Jonghyun shiver again. 

“I know because I'm from the next kingdom, Sirena. Um I'm not even sure where we are, all I know is that the distance from Sirena and Capella is a good 5 days away. And this place, I assume, is close to Capella if you are here.”

Jonghyun's eyes almost bulged out of his head.

“Sirena?! I heard from my parents that their prince has been missing for months now. What are you doing here?”

Changhyun sighed and looked up at the moon, which had risen in the last hour. He thought about his precious mother. Jonghyun watched Changhyun intently. He couldn't help it, the boy seemed so perfectly, so heavenly. Jonghyun admired Changhyun's jaw as Changhyun took a deep breath.

“It was my 18th birthday when he appeared. He kidnapped me because he wants revenge against my mother because she rejected him. So he wants my kingdom and the easiest way to do that......is to marry me.”

Jonghyun stood up quickly.

“He can't! Wait who's he?”

Changhyun smiled.

“He is Yang Seungho, a warlock. He won't as long as I say no.”

Jonghyun sat back down.

“But why are you still here? Why not go back?”

Changhyun sighed.

“I am the victim of a terrible spell. By day I am a swan and only at night, by the side of the enchanted lake, do I return to human form. The spell can only be broken if one who has never loved before swears to love me forever. And I fear that may never happen. Oh I miss my mother. Do you know what the terrible thing is?”

“What?”

Changhyun stood up in anger.

“Part of this ridiculous spell is that this lake is made magically from my mother's tears. That damned warlock is mocking me with this knowledge.”

Changhyun felt tears threatening to fall from his face. He sniffled and turned to Jonghyun. He took a good look at him. Strong, masculine and mysterious. Changhyun sighed, this guy would never fall in love with him. He stretched his sore muscles and watched Jonghyun, who had started to pace.

“That dirty scoundrel, how dare he! So by day you're a swan? So you can't turn back into a human unless you are here at this lake?”

Changhyun nodded. Jonghyun sighed and ran his hands through his hair. He couldn't help Changhyun and he didn't like that. He turned to talk but heard rustling. 

Changhyun's face paled and grabbed Jonghyun's arm.

“Quickly, you need to hide. He's coming.”

Changhyun could hear Seungho’s footsteps and panicked. He couldn’t afford to let Seungho find Jonghyun and maybe lose his only chance at freedom. 

“Quickly you must hide before he finds you.”

Jonghyun growled and held onto Changhyun.

“Let him find me, I’ll tear his face apart. I’ll make him pay for harming you”

Changhyun opened his mouth but suddenly Seungho’s voice rang out.

“Where are you my beautiful swan? Are you hiding from me?”

Changhyun bit his lip and pushed Jonghyun away.

“You can’t save me if you’re dead. Please hide!” 

The rustling of the trees was getting louder and Changhyun knew he didn’t have enough time. He pushed Jonghyun into the trees and gave him a look, hoping he could keep his mouth closed. Changhyun waited, nervously tapping his foot while looked back at Jonghyun. Seungho finally came into Changhyun’s sights, making Changhyun cringe and flinched. 

Seungho looked a little different. Changhyun scanned him and found out what was different. Seungho was holding a staff. A weird one at that. It felt sad, for a lack of words. It was a mixture of reds and black, with big jewels carelessly embedded in it. Its aura made Changhyun feel sick and nauseous. 
Seungho didn’t say a word. He stared at Changhyun for a good while, making Changhyun even more nervous. 

Finally he heard Seungho’s voice again. 

“Well my beautiful? Have you changed your mind?”

Seungho loved the look of disgust on Changhyun’s face and inwardly smirked. He certainly loved having fun with his hostage. But he grew impatient as Changhyun plainly ignored him. He slinked towards Changhyun and grabbed hold of his chin. 

“Silence again? You already know what would happen if you keep silent, correct?”

Changhyun looked at his with confusion, he hadn’t been told anything. Seungho only laughed.

“My my I guess I forgot. Very well I will tell you. As you stay silent when I ask you a question, I will just punish you by chaining you up in my tower.”

Changhyun pouted and turned away, not at all scared by that seeming innocent punishment. Being chained up didn’t seem that bad to him.

Seungho smirked as he tilted Changhyun’s chin towards the magical water. 

“My pathetic swan, you forget that you need the water to change back at night. In my tower, you will be caged until I feel like letting you out.”

Changhyun’s face paled, he had forgotten about the water. He bit his lip and sighed, he had no choice but to talk to this mad man. He looked Seungho in the eye and sneered, having small tears in his eyes.

“I will never change my mind. I will never marry you!”

Changhyun forcefully pulled his chin away and walked away, determined not to cry in front of Seungho. He watched as Seungho started to laugh maniacally. 

“See how feisty you are! ‘I will never marry you’? Hahahaha what a joke you are.”

Seungho got into his face and snapped his teeth at Changhyun.

“You beautifully pathetic boy, I will have your kingdom and your mother eventually.”

Seungho looked to the sky and then smirked at Changhyun. He raised his staff and slammed it down, magically creating a chair and sat down. He crossed his legs and tapped his chin. 

“So my dear captive, how was your night? Cold? Lonely?”

Changhyun bit his lip and crossed his arms.

“It was fine”

Seungho nodded his head, pretending to care.

“You know it would be better if you just said yes. I could give you everything you need and more.”

Changhyun scoffed.

“What do you have that I would need?”

Seungho smirked.

“Freedom”

Changhyun made a face. He did want his freedom but he wouldn’t sacrifice his kingdom for it.”

“I will never give you my kingdom and neither will my people.”

Seungho coughed and raised his eyebrow.

“How sure can you be, little swan”

Seungho pointed to the sky.

“But anyways for now our time is up, the sun will rise in 8 hours and you’ll just become a small insignificant swan again. Good night little swan.”

And with that Changhyun watched as Seungho disappeared into thin air, only leaving behind a feather.  

Changhyun held his breath and waited until his heart stopped pounding. He got up and looked around the forest. 

“Jonghyun? Where are you?”

Changhyun hoped Jonghyun didn’t leave to fight Seungho. He knew that Jonghyun wouldn’t win, not that he didn’t have any confidence but Seungho played dirty. He waited a couple more minutes before sitting down next to the water. He smiled when he saw out of the corner of his eye Jonghyun sitting next to him. 

“I’m glad you didn’t leave.” 

Jonghyun blushed.

“I was ready to fight him when he had called you pathetic. That maniacal fiend. But I do have a question. What does your mother have to do with this? I know you told me that she rejected Seungho but what happened?”

Changhyun looked up at the moon,

“Seungho told me he had been in love with my mother but I think my father Joon had stolen her away from him. So I guess it’s revenge. He told me he was going to take me away from her, since I’m the most precious thing to her.”

Jonghyun felt his heart break. Changhyun was just in the middle of a one sided love triangle. He hesitated before wrapping his arm around Changhyun.

“It’s fine, you’ll get through this.”

Jonghyun was surprised when Changhyun suddenly rose and started pacing.

“How am I suppose to get through this?! I need someone who has never loved before to make a vow of everlasting love. I need that person to swear that they’ll love me forever. I know none like that! And I can’t do anything about that since during the day I’m a swan!”

Changhyun covered his eyes. 

“I’m doomed. I’ll soon be forced to marry Seungho and lose my kingdom forever.”

Jonghyun patted his back.

“I’m sorry Changhyun.”

Changhyun shook his head.

“It’s not your fault. You can’t do anything about it.”

Jonghyun in a deep breath. It was now or never and he hoped he wouldn’t be rejected harshly.

“That’s not true. I could make that vow.”

Changhyun looked at him weirdly. 

“You don’t even know me. We don’t know anything about each other. I don’t even know if I like you.”

Jonghyun frowned and held Changhyun’s hand.

“Yes that’s true but I want us to get to know each other. I feel so drawn to you.”

Changhyun blushed.

“I feel drawn to you too. Well let’s talk then.  Firstly how did you get here?”

“I was hunting and I lost track of time. I ended up here after a couple of hours of running after some prey.”

Jonghyun didn't want to tell Changhyun that he was hunting the swan version of him. Changhyun hummed, thinking intently.

“Well let’s see. Capella and Sirena are a good 5 days away from each other and you were able to get here within just a few hours.”

Changhyun tapped his chin.

“Which means this place is closer to Capella than Sirena. Which can explain why my mother and her army can’t find me. It’s too far from their reach.”

Jonghyun nodded. 

“That makes sense and since we didn’t know that you were in our borders, we didn’t know to search for you. “

Changhyun sighed. 

“I really hate to admit it, but Seungho so far has me beat in every direction.”

The silence that followed was a bit awkward. Changhyun was a bit sad. He really wanted to get to know Jonghyun, but he was scared. He didn’t want anyone to get hurt.

He sat down and took off his shoes and socks, dipping his feet in the cold water of the lake. He looked at Jonghyun and weakly smiled. 

“Join me?”