Act 2 Part 2

Swan Lake

Jonghyun smiled back and nodded.  He took off his shoes and joined Changhyun in the water, shivering from the coldness. He looked at the sky and sighed at the darkness. He couldn't waste time in pondering, he had to get to know Changhyun. He turned to Changhyun and smiled,

“So what should we talk about? I really can't think of what to talk about.”

Changhyun chuckled,

“How about we start off with parents? My mother is Queen Chundoong and my father is King Lee Joon. My parents met at a ball and they hit it off, marrying within the year. I've never seen a love just like theirs. Mother is so sassy and father is so weird, they match so perfectly so some strange reason.
They're actually getting to the point of handing me the crown, so they're being a bit strict. But overall they're so nice and caring.”

Jonghyun smiled.

“They sound interesting. My mother, Queen Niel, is so quiet but passionate in everything he does. He manages the kingdom while my father, King Minsoo, is away on peace treaties. He's a bit lazy and sleepy but he gets the job done, especially when we depend on him.”

Changhyun nodded and waded further into the water, feeling the chill spread from his knees up to his back. He didn't mind the cold, usually. But the water wasn't normal water and it gave his heart a heavy feeling. He ignored the thoughts in his mind and smiled at Jonghyun. 

“Haha he sounds like someone I would want to meet. So I bet your kingdom is doing well from the sounds of it?”

Jonghyun shook his head and sat down on the water's bank. 

“The fields where the main crops come from, have been a bit dry lately and we don't know why. The water that seeps into the fields comes from a spring at the top of the mountain. Nor me or mother have had time to send someone up there. But for now, the crops are surviving.”

Changhyun hummed.

“I wish I knew how mother and father are and how the kingdom is. The last time I had a report on the kingdom everything had been well.”

Jonghyun searched his mind to see if he had heard anything about Sirena but he couldn't remember anything. He sighed frustratedly and kicked the lake. He changed the topic before Changhyun could get depressed again. 

“How about any hobbies? What do you like to do when you feel like being creative?”

Changhyun sat down next to Jonghyun.

“I like to draw, play the flute and I love to dance.”

Jonghyun's ears perked up when he heard the word 'dance'.

“What kind of dances?”

Changhyun's face lit up and he demonstrated with body, quickly getting up and doing a simple Pirouette, ending with a soft flare of his hands up above his head. Jonghyun stared at him, his heart beating even more. With that simple turn, he had seen the control, the passion that turn had. He rose and smiled when Changhyun looked confused.

He stayed quiet, instead raising his arms and hands above his head, forming a circle above his head. His hands circled around each other before he leaned forward and held out on hand, waiting to see if Changhyun would respond to his invitation to dance. And much to his relief, Changhyun took his hand with excitement in his hand and Jonghyun took him into his arms. 

He bent Changhyun backwards, watching the other close his eyes and lift his leg up close to his face. Jonghyun pulled him back, towards his chest, quickly letting him move away just enough to spin and kick his leg out. Changhyun fell back a bit, waiting to be caught by Jonghyun before jumping and landing on Jonghyun's shoulder. 

Jonghyun spun around and strongly had Changhyun slip down his shoulders. He had Changhyun floating in mid-air as he spun again, watching the other manipulate his legs into graceful lines. He pulled him up and dipped him again, softly pulling him up and letting their eyes meet. He let Changhyun slip out of his arms before letting his face motion towards Changhyun then letting his hand circle his face.  He was being brave, letting Changhyun see a bit of his emotions.

'You're beautiful' is what he mimed. He watched as Changhyun blushed and clasped his hands under his chin. This was certainly new to him, miming to someone he barely met but at the same time, it felt so right. They both relaxed and Jonghyun blew out a sigh.

“Well that was....exciting. I've never danced with anyone else that way before.”

Changhyun smiled. Even though he was stuck here and wasn't certain of anything anymore, this was something he could be certain of. Ballet was his passion and by the looks of it, so was Jonghyun's.

“Neither have I.”

They looked at each other before blushing and turning away. Changhyun glanced at Jonghyun again. This was going so fast and almost cliché, how could he fall in love with a stranger, in just hours of meeting him?  Changhyun turned to ask Jonghyun how long he had been dancing ballet when he heard rustling amongst the bushes. He and Jonghyun turned their heads, waiting to see what was in the bushes.

Changhyun and Jonghyun shared a look, neither ready for a fight. Changhyun watched as Jonghyun took an arrow from his back and took aim at the bushes, ready to shoot. Changhyun knew that if it was Seungho, that arrow wouldn't stand a chance but as the rustling grew louder, Changhyun knew there was no turning back. He hid behind Jonghyun, ready to run at a moment's notice. The air filled with tension as they waited to see what was behind the bushes. Could Seungho come back to check on him?

Changhyun felt Jonghyun tense up and he watched as Jonghyun straighten his back and lowered his bow, arrow pointing to the ground. Jonghyun passed his bow to Changhyun, making sure the arrow went back into his quiver before making his way to the bushes, where he pulled out a certain dirty Byunghun. He shook his head and looked at Changhyun,

“This is Byunghun, he's my friend. I forgot he was out there, still hunting.”

Changhyun hummed and turned to Byunghun,

“How did you find this place?”

Byunghun eyed Changhyun with some distrust, who was this person in front of him addressing his prince informally? He pulled away from Jonghyun and brushed off the dirt from his clothes,

“I found several footprints leading here, all my prince's. I've been trained to make sure I can track his footprints in case something happened.”

Jonghyun looked impressed, 

“I didn't know mom asked you to do that.”

Byunghun nodded, “She asked me when you were about 14. She was worried that you might be kidnapped. Now Prince, it is very late and I'm sure your mother is worried that we have not returned.”

Jonghyun nibbled on his lower lip, looking to the sky. It was certainly late, later than what he anticipated. He frowned and turned to Changhyun, looking at him for a minute before an idea hit. He took his bow from Changhyun and gave it to Byunghun,

“Wait a minute, I have to do something.”

Byunghun was confused but moved aside and watched as his prince took Changhyun aside. Who was this other person? He certainly was beautiful, Byunghun couldn't disagree but he felt that something else was going on here. But he decided to stay quiet when Jonghyun gave him a look.

Jonghyun sighed and took Changhyun's hand, tugging his to the edge of the lake. He his lip and opened his mouth, but...nothing came out. Changhyun bitterly smiled, 

“You have to leave, don't you?”

Jonghyun nodded, “I'm sorry. I wish I could stay longer and get to know you better.”

Changhyun smiled, “Thank you but dawn will soon be approaching and I will become a swan again and I really can't talk to you like that.”

“That's true. Listen, I'm turning 18 in two days and my mother is throwing a ball. A ball where I have to find my future partner to rule with.”

Changhyun tilted his head, “Oh?”

Jonghyun took Changhyun's hand and brought it up to his lips, “I want you to come. I want to dance with you and I will swear in front of everyone the oath to love you forever.”

Changhyun gasped softly, “But we've known each other for so very little time. I can't deny that I am attracted to you but what about you? I barely know you.”

Jonghyun chuckled, “That little dance we shared told me everything I need to know. You're my perfect partner, the only one who has drawn out passion from me when I dance. I will swear that oath and I will do whatever it takes to learn everything about you.”

Changhyun thought it over. It wasn't a bad deal, he would escape being a swan and then, hopefully find love.

“Ok, I'll come but I have no formal clothes.”

Jonghyun shook his head, “I'll have clothes waiting for you. Everything will go well.”

Changhyun nodded, “I guess with that you should go now.”

Jonghyun's shoulders sagged a bit with the reminder that he had to leave but when Changhyun gave him the smallest of kisses on his cheek, he couldn't budge a muscle. He felt Changhyun push him to Byunghun and waved him good bye, laughing at his inability to function from the kiss.

And as Changhyun watched Byunghun help Jonghyun leave, he sighed, 

“Please be the one.”