The Princess, the Prince & the Mission

Bi’trei

 

 

 

 

 

Dara is in her room doing some last-minute packing before going to bed. Tomorrow she had a visit to another academy.

 

Her invitation to go with Chaerin had been reject because of recent events. Her birthday--something that had been horribly overlooked in this mess was this weekend as well. She should have been celebrating together with her best friend.

 

Her thoughts were troubled and a sudden knock at the door made her jump. Wondering who could be visiting her at this hour, she opened the door and gasped to see Kwon Ji Yong standing there. It was astonishing how quickly the tension ratcheted up between them.

 

"What are you doing here?" Dara demand.

 

"I wanted to talk to you."

 

"It's late," she said stiffly. "Besides I seem to remember you don't like talking."

 

"I want to talk and ask you about the ‘event’."

 

That was enough to startle her out of her anger. She cast an anxious look into the hallway and then gesture him inside. "How do you know about that?" she hissed hastily shutting the door.

 

"I just saw Rin."

 

"How did you get to see her? I can't see her." Dara said frustrated.

 

Ji Yong shrugged careful to maintain a safe distance between them. Both of them had their arms crossed defensively. "I snuck into her prison camp. They've got her shoveling dirt for hours."

 

Dara grimaced. "Poor Rin."

 

"She's manage. Like always." Ji Yong eyes turned toward the couch and her open suitcase, where a silver dagger lay on top of a silk blouse.

 

"Interesting thing to bring on a visit."

 

Dara hastily shut the suitcase. "That's none of your business."

 

"Do you really believe it?" he asked ignoring her comment. "Do you think you could bring back the soul?"

 

Dara shook her head. "I don't know. I really don't. But I feel like . . . I feel like I have to try."

 

"Not according to Rin."

 

Dara gave him a rueful smile. "No. she doesn't want me going anywhere near this idea--even though she wants it to be real."

 

"Tell me the truth." His gaze burned to her. "Do you think you have any chance of defeat a vampire?"

 

"No," she admitted. "I could barely throw a punch. But . . . like I said I feel like I should try. I should try to learn."

 

Ji Yong pondered this for a few moments and then gestured toward the suitcase again.

 

"You're going in the morning?"

 

Dara nodded.

 

"And Rin got cut from the trip?"

 

"Of course."

 

"Did the queen offer to let you bring another friend?"

 

"She did," admitted Dara. "In particular, she suggested Thunder. But he's sulking . . . and I'm not really sure if I'm in the mood for him."

 

Ji Yong seemed pleased by this. "Then bring me."

 

"Why the hell would I bring you?" she exclaimed. All her anger returned at his presumption.

 

"Because," he said with calm face, "I can teach you how to defeat a vampire."

 

"No, you can't," said Dara shocked. "I know you've been learning to fight with fire but you have not done any real fighting."

 

Ji Yong's face was adamant. "I have--a little. And I can learn more. Daesung's got some guardian friends that have been teaching him physical combat and I've learned some of it."

 

The mention of him and Daesung working together didn't do much to improve Dara's opinion. "You've barely been here a week! You make it sound like you've been training for years with Master."

 

"It's better than nothing," he said. "And where else are you going to learn? Rin?"

 

Dara's outrage and disbelief dimmed a little. "No," she admitted. "Never. In fact, she would drag me away if she caught me doing it."

 

"Then this is your chance," he said. His voice turned wry. "Look, I know things aren't . . . great with us but that's irrelevant if you're going to learn this. Tell the queen you want to bring me along. She won't like it but she'll let you. I'll show you what I know in our free time. Then, when we get back I'll take you to Daesung and his friends."

 

Dara frowned. "If Rin knew . . ."

 

"That's why we'll start when you're away. She'll be too far away from you to do anything."

 

"And when we get back?" asked Dara. "She'll find out. It's inevitable with the bond."

 

He shrugged. "If she still on duty we'll be able to get away with it. I mean, she'll know but she won't be able to interfere. Much."

 

"It may not be enough," Dara said with a sigh. "Rin was right about that--I can't expect to learn in a few weeks what it took her years to do."

 

"You have to try," he said, almost gentle. Almost.

 

"Why are you so interested in this?" Dara asked suspiciously. "Why do you care so much about bringing Seungri back? I mean I know you liked him but you don't quite have the same motivation here that Rin does."

 

"He was a good friend," said Ji Yong. "And if there was a way to turn him back..... Yeah, that'd be amazing. But it's more than that . . . more than just him. If there was a way to save all the souls that would change our world. I mean not that setting them on fire isn't cool after they've gone on killing sprees but if we could stop those killing sprees in the first place? That's the key to saving us. All of us."

 

Dara was speechless for a moment. Ji Yong had spoken passionately and there was a hope radiating off of him that she just hadn't expected. It was . . . moving.

 

Dara stayed quiet yet again pondering the situation. "We're leaving at six," she said at last.

 

"Can you meet me downstairs at five thirty?"

 

The queen wouldn't be thrilled when she heard about the new guest choice but Dara was pretty sure she could do some fast talking in the morning.

 

He nodded. "I'll be there."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chaerin was totally astonished. Dara was going to learn to fight a vampire--behind her back--and she was going to get Kwon Ji Yong to help her. Great.

 

Those two had been snarling at each other since their breakup. She should have felt flattered that sneaking around her was bringing them together but she wasn't. She was pissed off.

 

Chaerin considered her options. The buildings were she staying didn't have the kind of front-desk curfew security like her dorms but the staff here had been instructed to tip off someone in the guardians' office if she got too social. The warden had also told her to stay away from the princess until further notice.

 

She pondered for a moment, thinking and then finally thought of an alternate plan.

 

"Hey."

 

"Hey, can I send a text from your phone?"

 

She didn't want to hijack her colleague phone and call Dara, it pointless, besides she might just hang up on her. The trainee stepped into the room and returned with the phone. Chaerin had Dara's number memorized and sent her the following note:

 

I know what you're going to do and it is a BAD idea.

I'm going to kick both of you when I find you.

 

She handed the phone back to its owner. "Thanks. If anyone texts back can you let me know?"

 

She told her that she would but Chaerin didn't expect any return texts. She got her message another way.

 

She returned to the room and get connected trough Dara's mind. She read her text with a rueful smile. Her answer came through the link.

 

Sorry, Rin. It's a risk I'll have to take. I'm doing this.