Fourth

Star-Crossed [discontinued]

 

Seohyun is partial about their arrangement as well. Not only is Yi Fan going to the same university as her but he will be taking up what she is majoring in, Foreign Linguistics. She will be never without him now. Great. As if things aren’t awkward enough between them. She suspects Yi Fan hasn’t completely forgiven her about the wooden cat incident. She did try to make amends but Yi Fan has a heart of steel and remains distant and would only speak to her when it is of great necessity.  She is even to scared to inquire how he is coping up with the human life. He insists he is fine and for her not to fret about him. So, besides looking after her, she has no idea how the rest of his life goes. She hasn’t even been to Yi Fan’s flat, which is literally only a few steps away from hers.

He accompanies her out if she needs to do something or get something, and if he is not of need he prefers to isolate himself to his place.  She sometimes invites him in her place but he only stays for a very short span of time. He completely lacks social skills.

Taking her guardian into consideration, if she can let it pass, she wouldn’t go out. It is a bit of an adjustment, but nothing too drastic that she can’t actually accommodate. Yi Fan gives her freedom to do things like before and does not interfere with her. All he asked is for her to inform him of everything.

Living as a human, Yi Fan says he is stripped off of his natural attributes. Seohyun cannot quite grasp the impact of that, as she is not familiar with the attributes he speaks of. He explains that he is human in all aspects. All his angel powers are kind of gone. She thinks that adds to the reason why he despises this certain mission of his. It is not hard for her to come up with a conclusion that he is not entirely happy with his current duty of being human and looking after a human.

 

 

She gets frequent calls from Taeyeon. The young doctor is always enthusiastically narrating stories about her patients or the places she had visited in Japan. Happy for her cousin to be experiencing such, she does not voice out her desire for her unnie to hurry back home, tells her she is all fine in Seoul. I have an angel on my tail. She just wishes her all the very best and not overworked herself up and take care of her health. Taeyeon jokes, of course, I am a doctor.

Taeyeon inquires about her recurring dreams. Seohyun is a bit taken aback. She has almost forgotten about those dreams, because she has stopped having them. She frowns as it dawns on her that it started after Yi Fan’s appearance. She is even too preoccupied with minding the angel and Yonsei thus she didn’t even notice.

 

 

First day of university is not something Yi Fan looks forward to. Being put in a place full of people he will be forced to mingle with makes him scowl more than usual. If it weren’t for the risk of Seohyun being put in danger, he’d gladly ask for a rearrangement.

As expected, the school is full of humans and Yi Fan hates being visible. Humans are whiny, obnoxiously loud, immature, and his list could go on. He doesn’t get it why humans are sometimes ungrateful about their lives when The Creator made some angels to protect and guard them. They even have the nerve to blame The Creator for all the craps that are happening to them. Are there humans protecting angels? None. Humans are conceited beings who only think of themselves.

“I know it is not place to say this but I believe it would be for the best if we do not disclose our connection.” Yi Fan whispers to her as they are walking along the corridor on the way to find their first class.

“Why not?” She asks not really minding him as she is busy looking for the lecture hall.

“Because it encourages further questioning and humans tends to forget proper manners and would do anything to satisfy their curiosity.” He harshly puts in. She frowns at him. He just shrugs and proceeds to enter a door, which is the room she is looking out for. She huffs and trails after him.

Yi Fan seated himself at the far end of the room. No doubt, isolating himself again. She scans the room for a vacant seat and she found one next to a girl that looks quite affable.

As Seohyun sits, the girl gives her a lovely smile and offers a hand. “Hi. My name’s Yoona. Im Yoona.”

Seohyun returns the smile and shakes the offered hand. “Seo Joo Hyun. But call me Seohyun.”

“Lovely dress, by the way.” Yoona good-naturedly says. Seohyun is quite a looker at a pale yellow mini dress.

“Oh thank you. Your hair looks stunning.” She returns the praises. Yoona seems like a very friendly person with her lovely curly hair.

“Thanks, made them myself.” Yoona says rather proudly, with a hint of humor in voice. Both chuckles lightly. “Where are you from?”

“Busan. You?”

“I knew it. You have a different accent, no offense meant.” Yoona pauses a little as she may have over-stepped boundaries.

“None taken.” She shakes her head with a light laugh just to assure Yoona all is fine.

Yoona smiles. “Me? Born and raised here in Seoul. Boring huh?”

“No, not all.” Seohyun thinks she is gonna like Yoona.

“Do you know that guy? He’s been looking at you.” Yoona tilts her head towards someone at the back and Seohyun follows the direction.

“Yes. He is my neighbor.”

“Just a neighbor?” Yoona playfully squint her eyes at her.

“Uh huh.” She only nods and holds back a smile, imagining Yoona’s reaction if she admits who Yi Fan really is. She supposes Yoona would think she is mental.

“The way she stares at you tell me otherwise.” Seohyun only stares at her new found friend. Yeah, he looks at me like he wanna kill me so she could go back to being an angel. “He looks hot.” Yoona casually commented and Seohyun almost choked.

 

 

After the lecture, both girls head out of the hall and decide to go to the cafeteria for lunch. Yi Fan is following after them so Seohyun does the introduction while walking along the university grounds.

Seohyun looks at him and points to the pretty lady besides her. “This is Yoona. She’s in the same class as us. This is Yi Fan.” To the giant blond guy.

“Wu Yi Fan.” He clears and extends a hand towards Yoona.

Yoona accepts the hand to shake it but frowns a bit. “You are not from around here, are you?” The question directed at him. “Your name sounds foreign.”

“Yes.” Seohyun says too abruptly.

“No.” He says, totally contradicting Seohyun’s answer.

Yoona looks at the two of them with amusement.

Seohyun thinking fast, “Yeah, yeah, uhmm..he is. He’s just.. uhmm.. too shy to admit it. Uhmm. Yeah.” She stutters. They should have discussed this before. Coming up with fake stories out of the blue is not the way to gain friends and establish a trustworthy character. She suddenly looks crestfallen.

He has to fight the urge to laugh. She looks cute all panicky and flustered. Ok. Let’s see how well you can do this Ms. Seo Joo Hyun. A glint akin to mischief lights his face up.

“Oh. You are from where then?” Yoona is genuinely curious and asks Yi Fan more questions.

He responds with, “Up.” and Seohyun gasps and looks at him mortified.

“Up?” Yoona frowns in confusion and her head is tilted lightly to the side. Yi Fan says nothing more to clear the misunderstanding.

Seohyun, as Yi Fan predicted, interjects. “Up. Uhmm.. No--North! Yeah! He is from uhmmm… China!  Yes. He is from China!” She hopes Yoona will never find out all her lies as she plans to befriend her.

Yi Fan just lets her human be. This is quite fascinating.

“Oh. Cool.” Yoona seems not to notice Seohyun’s inner dilemma as she takes in all the fabricated stories. She starts to walk briskly. “Hey, c’mon you guys. I’m starving.” Walking a little ahead of them this time.

“What was that?” Seohyun hisses at him. They both intentionally slowed their pace despite Yoona’s request to hurry up. She wants to confront him. He just wants to see her fume and blow her top off. “Whatever happened to, I don’t want humans prying into my life?” She does an embarrassing job at imitating his deep voice and sullen expression.

Yi Fan is awed at her being all uncharacteristically animated and whatnot. “You do an astounding job at mirroring me.” He smiles. She stops on her tracks. He does not, and follows after Yoona. She is left dazed. Did Yi Fan just smile? A real sincere smile that actually reached his eyes? Not like those fake smiles he timidly gives to people who try to talk to him during those times they go out. What has the world come into?

 

 

“Hey, Yoona!” A guy suddenly plops himself unceremoniously next to Yoona, slightly startling her as well as Seohyun and Kris. Both girls almost choked on their food.

“Hey.” Yoona is able to regain composure immediately.

“My professors are so lame.” The guy complains, as he dejectedly buries his face on his forearm resting on top of the table. Not noticing the two strangers in front of him, or rather not caring about them as he is busy whining to Yoona.

Yi Fan raises a brow. Immature. He looks at Yoona and is actually disappointed that she associates herself with human as lowly as the whiny guy. Seohyun also looks at the random guy and then at Yoona. Yoona just gives them an apologetic smile and says nothing.

“Huh. Mine were all awesome.” Yoona further teases and shows no sign of placating the guy.

The guy emerges from his position. “You are heartless.” He deadpans. Then catches glimpse at the two people gaping at him. “Oh, you have new friends?” Strange guy asks Yoona.

“Oh yes.” Forgetting appropriate conduct for a while. “This is Seohyun and Yi Fan.”

“Oh cool. I’m Dong Hae. Lee Dong Hae.” He extends his hand for handshakes. He is all smiley and cheery now when just a while back he was all gloomy.

“A pleasure to meet you.” Yi Fan takes the hand offered. Seohyun does the same. “I am sorry for I failed to observe proper manner. You caught me by surprise.”

Now, it’s Dong Hae’s turn to gawk at him and give him a look. “Huh. He talks funny. He a foreigner?”

 

 

After that funny incident over lunch, Seohyun could say, their first day experience at the university went relatively fine and normal for the rest of the day. She likes to think she befriended Yoona and also Yoona’s strange friend Dong Hae. But the highlight of the day was still Yi Fan’s gummy smile.

 

 

 

Again, that night, both heard another rounds of banging and pounding, of chinaware breaking and lots of yelling.

 

 


a/n: are you guys bored with how my story is going? Didn’t realize the plot would be kind of this slow. Draft? Pfff. Why do I even try making one?