Second

Star-Crossed [discontinued]

 

Rest. Sleep.  A condition much needed by the body to invigorate itself after going through a day of joggling chaotic measly affairs while keeping one’s sanity bound. Because this world can be crazy as hell and losing the grip of reality can sometimes be too tempting.

Past midnight comes with shedding of worries and an assurance of serenity. A time where people have all retired to their respective homes and are no doubt already snoring their heads off. Momentarily forgetting the strangeness and wariness the human world often brings.

Thus, streets are hardly graced by honking vehicles and sidewalks are mostly empty, just the relaxing stillness that doesn’t come often enough during daytime. The few who are still up and running bask in the leniency this first break of the day offers. Chilly breeze that doesn’t make the skin grow numb and red raw, marks the imminent end of winter with promise of vibrant new season to come that is spring.

But amidst all subtlety the current situation exudes is one fuming angel, and that is quite an understatement.

Yi Fan has a patch of gauze at the back of his head, a form of mockery to remind him he is beyond a disgrace to his kind. An angel with an incision caused by a human is practically an abomination. His hand traces the affected area and he flinches as pain surges through him. The situation demands a long set of profanities from him, but being an angel such crude manner is greatly prohibited. So he resorts to good old “glaring”. His prominent eyebrows that he is infamous for, looks more menacing than usual.

Joon Myun, on the other hand, ignores all the scowls and frowns thrown his way. He seems rather cheerful even for someone who is being glowered at, which infuriates the taller angel more. Yi Fan suspects the vertically-challenged, all-smiling angel is mentally laughing at him. Which by the way is true, not that Yi Fan needs to know.

Outside of a 24-hour open diner, both are enjoying a cup of coffee. Well, Joon Myun that is, as same can’t be said of Yi Fan, who is pretty occupied with eyeing daggers at his fellow angel.

“By all means, do it.” Yi Fan drawls and challenges Joon Myun complete with a tilt of his chin. His deep voice is blaring and coarse in the dead night.

“What that might be?” Joon Myun feigns ignorance. Eyes blinking ever so innocently while taking a sip of his Caramel Macchiato with dimples denting his cheeks then letting out a contented sigh, only shows he is enjoying the beverage and is unaffected by Yi Fan’s petulance.

“Laugh. It appears you take humor of what just happened.” His tone practically spats acid. Yi Fan’s eyes are tiny slits that overflows with much detest. Truth be told, another thing Yi Fan is known for is his temper.

“I do not laugh at my comrade’s expense.” Joon Myun pretends to be offended. In actuality, his ribs are gonna burst soon from trying to hold his laughter. It is actually rather funny, what just happened.

Yi Fan, with eyes closed, pinches the bridge of his nose while inhaling and exhaling in precise intervals. Not being taken seriously is one of the things he absolutely loathes. Joon Myun only watches him in entire fascination while he tries his very best not to snort, he fails. Yi Fan’s eyes flew wide and send another wave of laser glares at the smiling angel in front of him. “An unplanned move is a very careless one, Joon Myun.” He chastises his fellow angel while he leans his arm on the table.

“Please accept my most heartfelt apology as I say no words on my defense.” Those words do not guarantee the highly annoyed angel at any rate because it somehow lacks sincerity that he seeks.

Joon Myun is very much tempted to point out that Yi Fan is being a worrywart and overly dramatic but he values his existence too much to wish for such an imminent death sentence.  Pushing Yi Fan to his limits is a very scary thought that Joon Myun prefers not to witness in reality.

With one final deadly glare at the bubbly angel, Yi Fan scrambles off of his chair but not before dragging it across the rough asphalt. The man sitting at a table next theirs looks at Yi Fan, no doubt irritated by the noise in such a peaceful night. “Can I take my leave now, oh mighty superior?”

“I have relayed the information to the best of my abilities. Details are to be cleared by you. Major creases have been ironed out. So lose the pessimistic thought.” Yi Fan supposes those are Joon Myun’s words of encouragement.  “Now go, your human awaits.” Joon Myun grins, and points at Seohyun inside the café.

He looks inside the diner and sees his human.

Nope. Those words do nothing to boost his confidence as it was already trampled and spat upon.

Yi fan scoffs. Easy for Joon Myun to say as he is not the one facing this ordeal, this dreary work. But he’d rather exchange his immortality than admit that he is actually nervous of the murky future ahead of him. So, he gives the smaller angel a look instead.

Joon Myun, knowing him for a while now, can decipher unspoken pleas by simply observing Yi Fan’s facial expressions. “Yes. I know. I will not speak a word of this to anyone.” The glimmer on Joon Myun’s eyes tells Yi Fan otherwise. With Joon Myun, looks can really be deceiving.

If his subordinates ever learn of this, he’ll have to kiss his formidable reputation goodbye. He doubts they’ll ever respect him again. Yi Fan forlornly looks up.

 

 

 

Yi Fan takes comfort in the silence between them, Seohyun feels it is a little too much because she can hear her heartbeats clearly. His face remains expressionless while she stares everywhere but him. Her discomfort is obvious in her actions which he has no problem ignoring. He lets her be, this can be her punishment. Knowing his comrades has something to blackmail him for the rest of eternity irks him to no end. For an angel, eternity means quite a very long time.

There are only few people in the diner as it is already past midnight, but there are a couple of teenage girls two tables from his right that’s been ogling at him the minute he stepped inside. Typical. Most head turned his way, if he is being honest. He remains cold as he plans to keep things that way. He is here to protect the human in front of him, and he’ll focus on that.

He looks outside. Joon Myun is gone.

“I am so sorry.” Seohyun finally breaks the silence. Yi Fan looks at her indifferently.

“You don’t have to be. I should be the one apologizing. It’s my deepest regret to have breached certain etiquette. It was never our intention to startle you. I hope you can find it in your benevolent heart to pardon our carelessness.”  Despite the humble words that flows out of his lips, his expression remains hard making Seohyun question whether he actually meant everything he just said.

“Of course, but I am really sorry. I didn’t mean to.” Sure. Typical of a human not to admit mistakes. Sigh. It’s his fault actually, for giving his human a fright. Way to go, Yi Fan. Wait no, it’s not his fault. It’s Joon Myun’s.

“It is fine.” Is all that he can say. “You only acted appropriately for someone who fears for her life. And again, my sincerest apology.”

The being in front of Seohyun does not conform to her general idea of what an angel should look like. No glowing halo over his head. He is not wearing an overflowing white toga either. She also notices the lack of a pair of snowy-white expanse of wings on his back. Maybe he just retracted them? Yi Fan sports a cold demeanor that wards off any possible attempt to make friends with him. Aren’t angels supposed to be friendly-looking?

Ok, not that she is complaining though because despite his passive expression, Seohyun cannot deny his flawless features. Facial bone structure is just perfect. Check. Skin looks untarnished, no blemish. Check. Blonde hair that looks so smooth and silky. Check. Piercing stares that could melt snow during the winter. Check. His voice, deep and very manly. Check. Lips, pink and totally kissable. Check. Not that she’d be able to confirm that.

Sigh. Yes, her angel looks mighty hot in a hideous mustard yellow long-sleeve with simple white cotton shirt underneath and dark blue jeans. He looks like a model that just came from a photoshoot, maybe that’s why the teenage girls near their table are giddy and giggling among themselves while they openly stares at Yi Fan and scowls at her. She can’t tell whether he takes notice because his unfazed expression seems permanent.

Crap. She is suddenly bothered of how she looks. Despite having heard endless praises in regards to her beauty, Yi Fan, with all his heavenly glory, somehow made her feel conscious about her outer appearance for once.

“Can I ask you something?” She can still hear heart pounding on her chest. His sudden emergence ensue a certain aura of intensity. Whether it is good or not, remains a rhetoric question. Not that it is unwelcomed though, but it’s too abrupt and new to her.

“Please do not hesitate to speak your mind in my presence.” The less-than-amiable angel nods for her to continue.

“Why now?”

“I am sorry. I do not follow.” Creases grace his forehead, looking confused.

“Why am I meeting you now? Are angels supposed to show themselves?” She clarifies for him.

Oh that. A conversation he is all too willing to evade but under the circumstances they are in, it is, sadly to say, unavoidable. “There was a reassignment and the order given to me requires that I show myself before you.”

“Reassignment?” She takes that as is because she has no knowledge of how angel business is suppose to work. “So a human is assigned to different angels?”

Wonderful. I have confused her further. “No.” He shakes his head. Generally, in a human’s lifetime, he or she is put under a care of only one Guardian. But there are events beyond our control and certain measures are to be observed as immediate solution. This is not an isolated case but yes, it is an exception to the general rule.” He carefully puts the situation in simple words to discourage further inquiring. Because there are certain things he wishes not to disclose, but if his human would asked then he’d be obliged to impart the story.

“So there was a problem with me?” Seohyun whispers, almost too afraid to asked. Was she that horrible of a person that her very own angel gave up on her? That’s very disheartening to know. Maybe that is why they now assigned her to an angel that seems to be channeling the spirit of an authoritarian leader. A very handsome authoritarian leader.

He looks at her rather incredulously. “You've misunderstood. That is not what I am trying to tell.” Where is Joon Myun when you need him? “You form no part of the sudden change in the nature of our tasks.” He hopes this will rest her assured. She still looks a bit troubled but nods anyway so Yi Fan leaves it as that.

“Can human hurt angels?” She regrets those words as soon as it comes out but it is already too late as she watches Yi Fan’s face turn sour in mortification. Afraid of Yi Fan’s reaction, she looks down while she bites her lower lip and mentally scolds herself.

Yi Fan feels embarrassed but tries to hide it. He is so taking grudges against Joon Myun. “No, unless angels allow it.”

Seohyun looks up and frowns. “So I am not the only one who can see you, right?”

Sadly to say, “Yes, that is correct. I am visible to everyone.”

“So you’re like ---uhm a--- human?” He is not supposed to find that offending but he does and he winces.

“Yes.” For all intents and purposes.

She smiles and sighs in relief.  “I thought I look like I am talking to myself.” She thinks out loud. “Does it hurt?” She asks about his cut.

“Please do not worry yourself on my account.” He shakes his head again. “And no, it does not.” Yes. Yi Fan being new to feeling this pain, but he does not feel the need to point that one out. It just adds to the long list of things he abhors about this mission.

“Sorry again.” She shyly mumbles and bites her lower lip. Not knowing what else to do, she stirs the drink she ordered. Yi Fan did not get himself any. “I am sorry if I asked too many questions.” She timidly smiles. Crap. Why does he have to look so intimidating?

“I don’t expect anything less. If I may be blunt, I am quite surprise you are taking all this calmly.” Joon Myun has a way with humans that Yi Fan is sometimes left baffled. Then again, Joon Myun was created to fit such trivial duties.

“You are my guardian angel after all.” Comes a cheesy answer from her that Yi Fan does not in any least appreciates. Her smile fades when she notices his frown. Is it that hard for him to smile? “Do you have a name? I do not know how to address you.” She supposed it’s rude to just call him angel.

You humans even give names to your animals. Of course The Creator gave me one. “Yi Fan.”

“Yi Fan. Yi Fan.” She lets it roll on her tongue, familiarizing herself with the unusual name. “Nice name. And your friend is Joon Myun, right? I’m Seo Joohyun but I prefer Seohyun better.” Hoping this time they can start anew.

“I know.” He says unemotionally.

“Right. Angel.” For a minute there she forgot whom she is speaking with. She smiles and ignores Yi Fan’s rather lack of enthusiasm. “I’ll try not to give you headache.” She jokes. He does not laugh and only nods. Sigh. A moment of awkward silence only she takes notice. “What was it like? Your former assignment?” She casually throws random question, just to fill in the gaps that only her seems to mind.

“You are the first hu-- one, I have to look after.” Although he’s never been personally assigned to one, he stayed long enough on earth to know that humans do not like being called human in their presence. It is somehow offensive, like an insult. Which Yi Fan finds odd because they are ---after all,  humans.

“Oh. You are new?” She straightforwardly asks.

New? Yi Fan wanna tell her he has been around for centuries now, but he opts not to. Heaven’s timeframe is a totally different case from that of the mortal’s. Celestial beings are created to last forever. They exist with no awaiting expirations, unless caused by unpredicted external force.

“No.” He shakes head. “I am not a guardian.” Seohyun frowns. “Not all angels are designated to a hu—person.”

“Hmmm..” This angel business is something to get used to. “Wait, are you an angel of death?” Her eyes gets larger than usual as she asks Yi Fan that dreaded question. What do I do? I am too young to die? Please?

“No.” He says flatly.

“Oh ok. I’m sorry.” She is able to breathe as relief washes over her. “Then what do you do? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“I guard over nations.” He says in monotone.

“Ok.” That leaves her none the wiser. “Both you and Joon Myun?”

“Yes. We’re ---“

“I’m much honored then, to be your first assignment.” She smiles so brightly that the spark spreads across her face. Her eyes are reduced to crescents and her checks tinted with light pink glow. Yi Fan hasn’t seen anyone smile that brightly before, except maybe Joon Myun. But he thinks Seohyun’s smile is one of the most beautiful things he’d seen, that’s saying something, he’s an angel.

 

 

Heading home, she learns that Yi Fan will be staying in the apartment next door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

That night, when both Yi Fan and Seohyun are already resting in their respective apartments, they both heard banging, pounding and crashing of glass materials. And maybe some shrieks as well.

 


 

a/n: I am by no means promoting any religion although my story does incline a bit towards the Christian faith. The story also does not entirely reflect on my beliefs and how I perceive Heaven.  So I hope I do not offend anyone as I know that religion, faith and afterlife are very sensitive matters not to be taken lightly. All are pure fiction and just for a story. Just a disclaimer and just so things are clear once the story unfolds itself.

 

I’m sorry for the long wait you guys, I was really busy this past month. (I swear I didn’t try to pull an EXO on you.) This may be a poor excuse but finals kind of drained what’s left of my already tiny brain thus every time I try to write I only end up staring at the blinking cursor. *sigh*

But I was able to force myself to write something *fist-pump in the air* (it’s nothing to be proud of, really, but I was able to do it so yeah,) and it’s already been a month and to make you wait longer is rude. Sorry if my writing can be disappointing. I will promise to try and do better in the next chapters. Transitioning is crucial as it is a pain and my brain is barely cooperating so yeah. I am really really sorry. Epiphany? It’s hard to write when you are not a writer. I can’t remember how many times I exhausted my mental thesaurus. Hahaha. I hope to update more frequently now that I am on vacation and back home. ^^

Did any of you see that coming? The two guys on the last part of the first chapter were actually Kris and Suho. Yeah, I know, I have a rather dry sense of humor.  Let’s save the drama for the chapters ahead shall we, and enjoy this awkward first encounter of the Seokris pair. Told you this was originally a humor fic.

Angels don’t have flesh like human. But Kris, being new to having "human" body is an awkward noob. And he was stooping because he knocked off something from a side table and is looking for it. He is such a failure in life. Haha. And Suho kind of the one who explained blah blah blah to Seohyun thus the beginning of this chapter. I hope I made sense. I’m such a failure, like Kris.

Sorry for the usual mistakes, errors, and typos.  I tried to edit it before posting but I am really stupid, so many were still overlooked. And me, no good English.

Subscribers, you guys are absolutely awesome!!! None actually withdrew their subscription to this story. (I think?) I can’t thank you enough.  Sends hugs and kisses to every single one. XOXO I REALLY LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

For those who upvoted, (T^T) DAEBAK! THANK YOU!  ^_^ v

Comments are always appreciated because it always makes me smile. ^^

And also feel free to ask questions, because I swear this story has gazillion of loopholes I’ll try to answer them if it doesn’t give away the storyline.