Arrivals

My Cousin's Best Friend

 

"Everyone, in the bus!" Ms. Park, our new guidance teacher (more like life partner of Mr. Kim) shouted at us as we all climbed in the tour bus that was rented for the whole day.

 

I wrinkled my nose and smiled in satisfaction. It was actually a good bus. I figured out that you can tilt your chair backwards like in airplanes, and the seats were lime green. The bus was colorful and comfortable.

 

Not bad.

 

"Yo Panda Boy, where are you going to sit?" I asked curiously as Jisoo shrugged.

 

"Wherever you sit," he replied nonchalantly as I nodded, a bit surprised. Juniors normally followed the seniors. I picked the right aisle in the middle of the bus. The middle aisle is the place where things happen the most.

 

Back part of the bus is where unbelievable things happen, and where the 'cool' people sit. The front was where nerds and people who actually enjoy school sit. The teachers are usually there, asking you trivial questions about trees and stuff.

 

The middle is in between. That meant good stuff happen without us getting scolded.

 

"Good choice. Will I put your bag up?" Jisoo inquired as I shook my head, hugging my backpack close to me.

 

"I have a thing of hugging things,"

 

"You can always hug me,"

 

"Too bad you're not a thing though," I replied smartly as he shook his head, chuckling. We sat down and settled ourselves in. I watched what was happening outside, and to tell you, more interesting things happen in class than here.

 

I glanced at Jisoo to see him take out his laptop, opening it. My eyes bulged. I've always wanted to own a MacBook.

 

"Whoa, what are you doing?" I asked curiously as Jisoo waited for his laptop to open.

 

"Going to surf the internet. Why?"

 

"There's no Wi-fi here,"

 

"Built in Wi-fi Panda Girl." Jisoo grinned cheekily as I rolled my eyes. I scooted near him and watched him open up his internet browser. He immediately went to Seventeen TV's ustream site. I glanced at the clock on his computer and saw that it was already 1pm.

 

“Oh, so you’re going to watch the guys?” I asked lightly as I saw Jisoo nod. He laughed a little before his computer loaded Seventeen TV Season 2.

 

There was Seventeen, singing their logo song at first. I mentally squealed inside as I kind of flinched on the outside.

 

“Whoa, are you alright? Did you hurt yourself or-“

 

“Shush Panda Boy, I’m trying to hold in my feels, okay? Shush,” I rapidly spat in one breathe as my eyes widened at the boys on the screen.

 

“Oh Jisoo, they’re talking about you!”

 

Oppa. Jisoo oppa! And really?” Jisoo asked excitedly, leaning in further in the screen as Hansol stood in front of the main camera, talking about how Jisoo was on a trip.

 

“Aww, Hansol looks so cute! He’s my bias in Seventeen,” I blurted out randomly as I saw Jisoo lean away, raising an apprehensive eyebrow. I looked at him and blinked.

 

“What? Just because I’m older-“

 

“It’s not that. It’s just…I thought you’ll say that I’m your bias.” Jisoo blushed as my mouth formed an ‘O’

 

“Oh…well, you are my bias. But…you know…this Korean-American dude-“

 

“Yah, I’m Korean-American also!” Jisoo exclaimed in anger, pouting before slumping on his seat. I let out an awkward laugh and smile, patting Jisoo’s shoulder lightly.

 

“Come on Panda Boy, you’re not jealous of Hansol, right?”

 

“Who said I was?”
 

“Dude!”

 

“Okay! Okay. You haven’t met him yet, yet you say he’s your bias. You’ve talked to me for one day already,” Jisoo confessed as I went into thinking mode.

 

This question was always asked from fangirls.

 

“Well, even if you haven’t met a person in person yet, doesn’t mean you can’t support him or her. Even if I haven’t met Hansol yet, I like his charm, his rapping and dancing. I like how he’s easy going and cheerful. I like to watch him in Seventeen TV. It’s alright with me if the persona he’s showing now is dictated by Pledis. As long as Hansol’s happy with it, I’m happy.” I gently smiled at nothing in particular as I reminisced watching Seventeen TV.

 

I felt a poke on my shoulder as I looked up at Jisoo, who was looking weirded out.

 

“Okay, that was quite long, and I kind of understood you a bit,”
 

“Oh, you’ll only understand if you’re a fan of groups,”

 

“I am! I’m a fan of DBSK, NU’EST, Ailee, Hello Venus and a lot of other artists,” Jisoo tried to defend as I raised an eyebrow in response. He sighed in defeat and flicked my forehead, which I winced at.

 

“Fine, I don’t exactly know how to properly fangirl. But that doesn’t mean I’m also a fan. It’s just…I’m calmer,”

 

“Calm fans are the new fans. Just you wait when you get to the stage where you’re cursing your bias to stop being perfect,” I warned wisely, shaking my head as I pushed my glasses up.

 

“Hmm, you may be right. Oh, now what are they- Oh Seokmin and Seunggwan, what are we going to do with you?” I glanced at the screen to see Seokmin and Seunggwan singing (more accurately, screeching) to NU’EST songs.

 

“Are they…alright?” I asked somewhat in concern as my eyes widened at the two crazies in front of the camera. Jisoo sighed and shook his head.

 

“Nope, and sadly, there’s no cure. They’re really fun to be with,”

 

“Looks like it,” I commented before chuckling.

 

“So Hong Jisoo, why’d you want to be in Pledis upcoming boy group, Seventeen?” I asked, my tone adapting an interviewer’s. Jisoo laughed before opening a new tab, going to YouTube.

 

“Well, I’d like to join the group because I want to achieve my dream of becoming a singer. And…well, it’s not really my choice to stay in a group,” Jisoo explained as I nodded in understanding.

 

“But, if you had the chance, would you want to be a solo?”

 

“Actually, no. I think I’d feel lonely without my crazy teammates, which I feel as if they’re my brothers. It just looks wrong if I stand alone. I need sixteen other talented kids to stand with me on one stage.”

 

I blinked in admiration at the boy beside me.

 

So, Panda Boy actually has some sense in him.

 

“Wow, that’s deep dude,”

 

“Treasure it, because it only comes once in every year,” Jisoo joked as I laughed, clapping my hands like a seal.

 

I look…indecent right now, right?

 

“Oh, what are you doing now Panda Boy?” I asked him as he typed in something in the search bar of YouTube.

 

“I’m going to sing-“

 

“We’re here! Everyone, we arrived in the Teddy Bear Museum! YAH! You lazy ! Get up, Mr. Kim!” I heard Ms. Park yell as I laughed at Jisoo’s embarrassed expression.

 

“Well there goes my concert,”

 

“Who said it’ll ever start? Come on dude, let’s go.” I stood up hurriedly and shouldered my backpack, holding the straps tightly. Jisoo got in line first, and then me. He made sure I was in front of him.

 

“I am not going to run away!”

 

“Yah, I just want to see you. You might get lost, given to your lack of height,”

 

“It’s because you’re too tall Panda Boy,” I snapped, but followed him. I huffed and grimaced as I followed the line outside. We emerged out of the bus and saw the signs of the Teddy Bear Museum.

 

It was really amazing. There was a sign that said, “TEDDY BEAR MUSEUM” and there were portraits of ancient and modern teddy bears.

 

Gee, I didn’t know teddy bears were so important in Korea.

 

“Okay everyone; please stick to your desired partner! If you don’t have a partner, you will get stuck with Mr. Kim and I. If you have a partner, enter the museum with us!” Ms. Park shouted as everyone followed her command.

 

I had to hand it to her. When she talked, everyone listened.

 

When Mr. Kim talked, everyone talked with him.

 

“Panda Girl should stick with her Panda Boy, right?” Jisoo asked my slyly as I gave him a stern look.

 

“No, pandas can go anywhere they want-“ And before I could reprimand him, he hooked his arm around mine and called out to Ms. Park.

 

“Ms. Park! I’ve found my partner until the end of the trip! Go Aeji!” Jisoo announced before I could blink and smack him around the head. I immediately lowered my hoodie and blushed, trying not too meet Yoonhe, Minhi or anyone’s gaze.

 

“Uhm, okay! Jisoo and Aeji, let’s go in! Everyone, follow me!” And with that, Ms. Park and Mr. Kim both argued with each other, leading the group. I sighed as I tried to remove my arm that was hooked around Jisoo.

 

“Yah Jisoo, I need my arm,”

 

“No you don’t.”

 

“Dude!”

 

“Okay, you need your arm, I get it. Its human instinct to need their arm,” Jisoo finally released my right arm as I chuckled at this weird response. Just then, I felt him grab my right hand instead.

 

“Yah!”

 

“You said you needed your arm, not your hand. There’s a difference Panda Girl~” Jisoo cooed as I stared at him.

 

How could this boy be so impossibly impenetrable?

 

“Come on, smile.” Jisoo prompted as I bared my teeth.

 

“That’s my Panda Girl.”