3

Street Rats
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Daehyun was forced into a kneeling position, both guards from earlier where pressing his shoulders to make sure he wouldn’t escape from Mr. Shin’s mansion. The boy carefully watched as a man in his early fifties gracefully glided down the stairs,

“Good job, boys. You just might actually be worth having around.” Mr. Shin remarked as the two guards bowed.

Mr. Shin then directed his full attention to the boy kneeling before him, “It was foolish of you to try to escape, Hyunjae.”

Daehyun tried to pull away from the two men who kept him in place; he was already fed up with this misunderstanding and was ready to prove his innocence, “My name is not Hyunjae! I am Jung Daehyun and I can prove it to you!” He shouted as he continued to struggle.

Mr. Shin laughed, “Alright, if you say you aren’t my son and you can prove it, then please provide me with your proof.”

Daehyun sighed in relief that someone was actually willing to hear him out. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet where his I.D was and gave it to Mr. Shin.

Mr.Shin frowned upon seeing the I.D, sure the thoughts of it being fake arose but they were quickly diminished when he held it against the light and saw the official seal of the nation. The elder motioned the guards to release their grip on Daehyun and walked directly in front of the boy,

“Follow me please” was all Mr. Shin said to him and then began walking up the stairs.

Daehyun was hesitant to follow until one of the guards shoved him from behind, having no choice but to oblige to the elder’s wishes. Going up the stairs, he found himself in a daze imagining what it must be like to live as a wealthy person and own a home as luxurious as this, although nothing compared to the palace, this place could easily take second place. Once he reached the top, he saw Mr. Shin waiting patiently for him with his arms crossed.

He began to walk away once he knew that he had Daehyun’s full attention which hinted that the later should follow. They walked down a large hallway that was covered with portraits, Daehyun was even stunned to see himself in a good majority of the portraits but he knew that that definitely wasn’t him.

“I see you understand the reason for the mix up.” Mr. Shin stated as he continued to look through all the photos, “You and my son are practically identical, if my son were to stop dying his hair in that ridiculous shade he would probably look just like you.”

Daehyun continued to examine the photos carefully in amazement.

“Daehyun,” Mr. Shin called him to attention and continued to speak once the boy’s gaze was on him, “Would you be interested in a job?”

The boy was somewhat confused and something in his stomach was telling him to be careful, “What kind of job?” he questioned hesitantly.

Mr. Shin walked up to him and patted his shoulder, “One that could stop your struggling and help provide an easy life for your family.”

Daehyun froze, the thought of the boys having new clothes that wasn’t stolen, being able to pay Zelo and Jongup school fees, living in a nice house where each of them has their own room and a nice fluffy mattress. That was everything he ever wanted to prove the people who have so kindly taken him in all those many years ago. Daehyun smiled at the thought of seeing his young friends in a brand new school uniform that fit them just right.

“I’m interested, what’s the job?” Daehyun asked and Mr. Shin smiled, glad to have baited the boy before him.

                                                                                  ***

The next day was torture for Emi, she woke feeling like she was in quicksand. Her eyes were blood shot from all the crying she did the previous night, her hair was mimicking that of a bird’s nest from all the tossing and turning, and bags were forming on the lower part of her eyes from the restlessness. Never in a million years would she have thought that she would be crying tears of sorrow for her own engagement. The maids came into her room doing their usual preparations, they picked out her clothes and accessories as today she would be meeting the first of her three possible suitors and to her dismay, it was her best friend Woohyun.

She sighed as she got out of bed and began to ready herself for the day. Emi saw her own reflection in the mirror and cringed, this was probably the first time she has ever really seen herself get to this sort of state within less than 48 hours. She sat down in front of her bathroom mirror where she had her cosmetics counter set and opened the top drawer on the right revealing all her blush, eye shadows, and lipsticks in order of pigmentation. From the top drawer on her left and reached for her concealer, it was going to take a miracle to actually make her look even the slightest bit decent today.

After she applied her makeup, she changed into what the maids have chosen for her to wear for her ‘date.’ It was a peach tulip dress that she dawned with a pair of pumps, she was actually kind of impressed with the maid’s choice since her usual stylist was away on her honeymoon. She curled her long locks away from her face to give off a summer vibe and she was ready to go.

Once she made her way down the stairs, she was greeted by her butler, Junsu who practically watched Emi grow up to become the lovely lady that she was today.

“You look stunning, Emi.” Junsu said with eyes twinkling, she was like his daughter and he adored her very much.

Emi gave him a tired smile, “Is Woohyun here yet?”

Junsu nodded his head, “The young sir just got here a few minutes ago. He is sitting in the chess room with your father.”

Emi sighed as she made her way towards her father’s favorite room in the house when guests come over. The chess room was exactly what it’s named, a room where you play chess. Emi’s father had an obsession with the game whereas Emi was more of a Domino’s player, since her father would work all the time and she was homeschooled, the staff would always play games with her and her absolute favorite was Dominos. She walked into the room to be greeted by two men sitting opposite each other engaging in the game of chess. From the looks of it, Woohyun was struggling to win which honestly didn’t surprise her at all. Not to be rude or anything but Woohyun wasn’t exactly the brightest crayon in the box so it’s expected that when it comes to a game of tactics he wouldn’t shine as brightly as he does on a stage.

Emi cleared causing both males to look away from the game. Her father smiled proudly as he analyzed her beauty, day by day she was beginning to look more like her mother. Woohyun stood up instantly and greeted her with an awkward bow, clearly he was nervous and in desperate need of being rescued.

“Are you ready to go?” Emi asked as she pointed towards the front door.

Woohyun nodded eagerly and bowed to her father quickly, which almost made Emi burst into laughter. He quickly made his way to her side and motioned for her to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter