Chapter 3: Mentors/A Killer in All of Us

EXO Hunger Games

 

  The room was incredibly huge. It separated itself into four parts- a bedroom, a bathroom, a dining area, and something that looked like a lounge.

  “You haven’t met your mentor yet, have you?” my asked me.

  I shook my head. “No, miss. I haven’t.”

  She snapped her fingers and sighed heavily. “I’ll find her and bring her in. In the meantime, feel free to explore your quarters.” She hastily walked out of the room and shut the door behind her. After everything fell silent, I finally stepped into my “living quarters”. The black walls seemed to close in on me, but the room felt so big that it also seemed impossible. Modern lighting was tastefully dispersed throughout my space. Everything there was bold and unique, just like the Capitol itself. I found myself taking in every single detail- from the floor pattern to the texture of a chair. I noticed there were silent people standing in corners of some of the rooms, looking down at their bare feet as I walked by. These were the Avoxes.

  To become an Avox, you had to rebel against the Capitol so bad that they’d capture you and slice your tongue off. Avoxes serve the Capitol for the rest of their lives. If the Capitol’s society were divided into a caste system, Avoxes would probably be at the bottom of the pyramid. It happened to a young man from my district once. No one knows exactly where he is today.

  I was startled by the door being busted open. There stood my and my mentor.

  “Chanyeol,” my said. “Here’s your mentor, Fannia.”

  “Nice to meet you, Fannia,” I said to her with a tight mouth. She came up to me and outstretched her pale slender arm towards me. I briefly shook her hand and looked into her gray eyes.

  “Chanyeol…” she said in a distant tone. “That’s one hell of a name. What does it mean?”

  I looked down. “My name’s in two parts. ‘Chan’ can mean bright, and ‘Yeol’ can mean fiery.” Fannia nodded understandingly.

  “Better name than mine,” she replied. “Your parents are creative people.”

  I nodded. Fannia and I both sat down on two chairs in the living room, knowing what else to discuss other than names. I looked into her pale eyes, and she knew she had to get to the point now.

  Fannia cleared . “As you’ve been told, I’m here to give you advice on how to survive the Hunger Games…that is, if you do make it.” She raised an eyebrow.

  I looked away. “Okay. Well, first, no one told me you were here to give me advice, but that’s okay. And second, can’t you lighten up the mood?”

  Fannia rolled her eyes and looked around for my . “That stupid , what kind of is she not telling you?”

  I looked around to find out that my disappeared again. “Pretty much nothing,” I replied.

  Fannia leaned back in her chair and sighed. “Stupid Aurelia.”

  “That’s her name?”

  “She didn’t even tell you her name?!” Fannia shouted. I shook my head. Fannia sighed. “Whatever. Let’s get back on topic.” I nodded and leaned back into my chair.

  “So…” I began. “How do you survive?”

  Fannia shook her head. “Be specific, honey. How do you survive what?”

  “The Games in general,” I replied. “Like, survival tactics and how to kill, and—”

  “Don’t ask me how you’re supposed to kill.” She motioned for an Avox to come over. “Could you please get us some food? Much appreciated.” She whispered to the Avox. She looked down and went out somewhere, only to return with a cart full of pastries for us. Fannia picked up a biscuit. “Catch,” she said, ready to throw it in my direction. I outstretched my hand and she tossed the biscuit at me. I caught it and took a small bite, indulging in its light, starchy taste.

  Fannia leaned closer and began talking to me in a more serious tone.

  “There is a killer in all of us,” she told me. “When you’re in the arena, Chanyeol, your inner killer will be unleashed in some way, whether you like it or not. It’s what they want, and you can bet that the Gamemakers get what they want very easily.”

  I nodded.

  “I’d rather talk to you about survival and other stuff.” Fannia leaned back and took a drink from her glass. “Can we talk about sponsors?”

  “Your call,” I said.

  “At the tribute parade, at the interview with Caesar Flickerman, at your training session, whatever…you need to make sure that you’re leaving a good impression on the sponsors. You have to make sponsors like you. You have to win them and steal their attention better than the other eleven tributes. You know how to do that, right?”

  I shrugged. “I’m sure I do.”

  She smirked. “You’ve got the looks, Chanyeol, that’s for sure.”

  “That counts?” I felt my face get warm. Nobody’s really told me I’ve got good looks except for my parents. But they were my parents; it was their job to say such things.

  “Sure it counts,” Fannia responded. “Looks have always sold, have they not?”

  I shrugged again. I wouldn’t know.

  “The point is, leave a good impression. You should make yourself look presentable, powerful, and happy. Your actions also affect the tributes’ first impressions of you. To one, hypothetically, you may look weak, and to another, intimidating. You need to hide that so-called weakness in you. Park Chanyeol, am I clear?”

  Well, did that get serious fast, or what?

  “Crystal,” I replied with a smirk.

  “Good.” Fannia said as she rose from her chair.

  Aurelia opened the main door and pranced in. On cue, again.

  “Good god, Aurelia,” Fannia said as she walked over to her. “You’re the worst ever.”

  “How so?” she replied, raising an eyebrow.

  “You just show up, tell Chanyeol that you’re his , not even tell him your name, and just waltz away and do whatever you fancy?!” she shouted.

  “For your information, I was talking to Saffra about arrangements for the tribute parade tonight!” Aurelia yelled. She turned to me and beamed. “…Which, by the way, is in a few hours, Chanyeol.” Her tone of voice was drastically different. “You should head down and see Saffra. You met her, right?”

  I looked at Aurelia. “Yeah.”

  Aurelia smiled. “Then you should go down and see her. You should be getting ready now.”

  “What?” I asked. “Now, all of a sudden?” I stood up from my chair and began walking to the main door. “Don’t you guys have a schedule for me? If you do, then just give it to me…seriously.” I opened the door.

  “Fannia and I will see you in a couple of hours!” Aurelia called out.

  “I hope so!” I slammed the door behind me.

 

 

 

A/N: HELLO GUYS!! Chapter 3 is finally here. I really blanked out on descriptions here- so forgive me if some things don't make any sense T~T Also, I'm sorry if the plot is moving very slowly...it's getting there, okay? :D

I couldn't come up with any good Capitol names so I just used a name generator. lol I'm so lame. XD

I'm sure all of you know about EXO's comeback by now!! I'm so excited! They all look great. But I'm still lost on my bias's hair. (My bias is Lay, btw)

And Sehun's hair. Sehun's hair.

What. I don't even.

 

Anyways...yeah, stay tuned for Chapter 4!! :)