Drown - Part III

Reverse Flux


Perhaps going off wasn't the best idea, flying through the sky that seemed, well.. endless. With reports at every 5 minute interval, Kris calculated that they had been flying for a while and still hadn't gotten the slightest hint of where Joonmyeon or Minseok was. It was frustrating, to say the least, but Chanyeol didn't seem to mind. In fact, he seemed to be enjoying experimenting with his self-propulsion system, switching up how he flew every now and then. A flaming hoverboard he nicknamed 'Burnout', a fleet of small flaming birds he lied on top of and even a hot air balloon. How he could mold the flames amazed Kris somewhat, but he didn't say anything. It wasn't important. “How you two holding up? Chanyeol's not about to run out of fuel, is he? I'm afraid we don't carry Crackyeol brand gasoline.” Jongdae snorted, the initial crackle becoming more prolonged the further they got from the ship.

“Ahaha, that was funny! Oh, wait..” Chanyeol sniffed out, Jongdae mocking his voice on the other end of the line. Kris on the other hand didn't feel like listening to the back and forth blabber between the two, but he didn't want to lose contact either. So flipping his switch to Kyungsoo's channel on his receiver, Kris initiated a video chat with him, his screen set with a 65% opacity to allow him to see what was ahead of him. Kyungsoo greeted him with a wave that showed he wasn't really fond of the video chat, but he wasn't going to deny it for no valid reason. They talked for a while, Kyungsoo typing up a code back at the ship that would attempt to reconfigure a probe that could perhaps locate their missing members. Unfortunately, each attempt ended in a failure that seemed to slowly get to the knowledgeable earth guardian.

"Blast!" Kyungsoo exclaimed, nails scraping into his palm. He sighed afterwards and ran a hand through his dark locks in frustration, Jongdae swiveling in his chair to face him. Kris could only frown at the other's reaction, Chanyeol now having fashioned himself eagle wings that fed off of the air around them. "I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure it out. My calculations are triple checked, my base code is flawless, yet.. Yet I don't understand why I can't program a simple tracking mechanism into a probe! A probe, damn it.” Kyungsoo growled, shaking his head and turning away from his screenshare with Kris to try again.

“Don't stress over it too much, Sooboy, you might pop a few important blood vessels.” Jongdae commented, sweeping his hand dismissively in the air. Kyungsoo paid him no attention, focused completely on re-wrtiting his entire base code structure. “Fine, ignore me then. Yo, Eagyeol, I suggest you return to normally hovering lest you want to burn yourself out or lay an egg. We still haven't located the two best friends in the world so you should keep a low profile. That and since we can't determine if any airborne animals are experiencing their heat cycles.” Jongdae continued, nonchalantly scrolling through the database with his free hand, whirling it about up and away from the actual keyboard as he messed around with the gesture option.

“Oh, what's that? Look what we have here, cutie.” Jongdae spoke, snapping his fingers in Kyungsoo's direction in an attempt to get his attention. Maybe it was because they were looking for their other members that Kyungsoo looked, hopeful that Jongdae actually and somehow located them. But, of course, it wasn't them. It was something far worse that it had Kyungsoo tapping furiously on his keyboard to establish a link with both Kris and Chanyeol at once. Jongdae cursed at this, magnetizing and zooming in on one of the floating screens to get a better resolution of a massive creature in the distance, near the plateaud peak they had seen when they first landed.

“Kris, Chanyeol! Get out of there now and head back here, stat! That is an order.” Kyungsoo barked, Kris furrowing his brows and swiping away his screen. Chanyeol paid him no mind, instead cruising along ahead. Kris wasn't as careless, eyes retraining themselves to look for anything that could have set Kyungsoo off like that. “Why aren't you two listening? get ba-” Kris then cut Kyungsoo off, now reaching into the depths of the curious parts of his mind.

“Cut you off, huh, sweet pea?” Jongdae asked, Kyungsoo bolting up and out of his seat with a look that had even Jongdae silenced for once. Behind them, Luhan and Jongin looked over to see what had Kyungsoo so on edge, the both of them frowning when he left the ship to go out onto the beach. They were just about to follow them when Jongdae sent a menacing bolt their way, the electric string rebounding back to him to sink underneath his skin. “Ah, ah, ah. Don't be nosy, didn't you learn that from your parents? Calm down; he's got this. What you should see is this baby, though.” Jongdae warned, finger sparking and pointed directly at the two before he curled it in a beckoning way. Giving each other odd looks, Jongin and Luhan then walked over to Jongdae's screen. Luhan gasped almost immediately,a  hand covering his mouth in what seemed to be horror while Jongin scrunched up his face. He didn't know what he was looking at, but he could tell it wasn't good.

“Those brainfried dolts are going to blow this mission! A simple task this probably was, a simple order to step back and yet they can't follow such a low rank command! They need to be re-wired themselves, those bubble-spleened neanderthals! Why I oughta..” Kyungsoo raged, looking around quickly in search of something, feet kicking at the endless sand surrounding him in a thick border between him and the water. In the ship, Jongdae steadily held one palm in the air at a 45 degree behind himself, slowly shifting it up. As his hand moved, the screen's position altered accordingly.

“There they are.” He said, voice low. Luhan shook his head and Jongin frowned heavily.

“Ugh!” Minseok panted, pulling himself up onto a flat rock, eyes narrowing as he immediately put up a large shield of ice just as a hyper pressure stream of water was shot at him. “You're nothing but dead weight, you know that? You control water and yet you're a lousy swimmer. It doesn't make sense on Earth, Mokari, Kellis or even here!” He barked, placing both palms on his ice shield. With a grunt he turned them until he made a full circle, the layers thickening substantially and pulled back. Another grunt was when he pushed forward to shoot cyclindrical ice rocket, cutting through the stream easily. The large beast, rotating jaws in all, screeched as the rocket exited the back of its throat, knocking out several barrel sized teeth.

“Don't just sit there, move!” Minseok snarled, grabbing Joonmyeon by his collar and pulling him out of the way just as the sea phantom lunged down. The ice shield shattered easily and so did about 5 feet of the rock platform they were on. Frozen in what Minseok assumed was fear, Joonmyeon could only stare at the unreal monster just before them. With its head stuck, the Sea Phantom wriggled uncomfortably and Minseok once again took hold of Joonmyeon's collar, dragging him further up the platform just as several tendrils emerged from the scaly skin on the phantoms head. Eyes, huge and menacing with ring target irises emerged in a half circle, watching the two's every move. “Get up and do something! You've done absolutely nothing but stare at it, you fool!” Minseok yelled, pulling Joonmyeon up so he faced him, teeth grinding. His chiding was cut short when the phantom freed itself, letting out a screech of a roar towards the two, air rippling visibly in distasteful lyrics.

“A-ah.. Hah..” Joonmyeon panted, Minseok covering his ears in pain. There was a distinct gurgling sound resonating from the monster before them, the screeching halted, and Minseok once again put up an ice shield, setting two up before it just as the phantom blew out another pressured torrent of water. Shattering the first shield with ease, Minseok sought to get them both away before it got through the second and noticed them escaping. Conjuring up an ice platform at the edge, Minseok pushed Joonmyeon onto it before he jumped on, the ice breaking off to begin falling down like an unstoppable elevator. Getting a lucky break, Minseok noticed a rather deep impression on the side of the cliff and attached an ice net, jumping into it with Joonmyeon in tow. Minseok then shattered the ice platform, turning it into soundless dust before splashed in the water below. A sudden waterfall just overheard alerted Minseok that the phantom broke through the shields and would now come looking for them.

“Hey, look at that.” Chanyeol shouted, slowing down to a stationary float in the air. Kris stopped as well, more easily than Chanyeol, and looked ahead of them in terror. The phantom was ahead of them, a good quarter mile or so with its head looking all around, examining the platform. The giant plateau was nearby, only a slight band of haze surrounding the top now. Kris felt a magnetization towards it and signaled to Chanyeol to follow him.

“Turn your boosters down a little or we'll gain its attention. We should go up to the top of that plateau.” Kris said, looking over to Chanyeol who seemed none too pleased and a little upset “What's with that face you're making?”

“I can't leave. What if Joonmyeon's nearby? And where Joonmyeon is, that's where Minseok's bound to be too.” Chanyeol responded, the both of them wincing when the phantom gave out a menacing screech.

“Those idiotic buffoons think they can take on the entire world on their own! Why they were chosen baffles me, but I guess there's not much I can do with the thoughts of a tree.” Kyungsoo fussed, in front of him a cannon of his own making from sand and reinforced with earth from under the water and the nearby split hill. Stomping the ground with his foot, Kyungsoo cleared away sand within a 2 foot circumference of him, revealing hard and crystalline stone beneath it. Scraping the stone with his nail, Kyungsoo determined it contained elements of a rare metal on earth and grinned to himself just before he fashioned a nice sized 'cannonball' from it. He slipped it into the mouth of his cannon and went back to the ship, Jongdae swiveling in his char to face him. Baekhyun and Yixing were not looking at the monitors, Luhan and Jongin tending to the now awake Sehun and Tao. “Move, I need wires and other items you wouldn't understand.” Kyungsoo huffed, shoving his way to the back of the ship and opening a hidden compartment. Shutting off a switch located nearby, Kyungsoo safely detached the charged wires. But at a cost.


“Oh, really, babe?” Jongdae groaned, the screens minimizing in front of him and disabling themselves as the connection was lost. Kyungsoo only grumbled in response, heading back outside with minimal speech efforts to the others. Now curious as to exactly what his partner was up to, Jongdae slinked out of his chair and followed Kyungsoo. “What are you building here, little Einstein?” He inquired, whistling as he inspected the cannon his partner had built in a staggering short amount of time.  Kyungsoo said nothing back but he did drag Jongdae to the mouth of his firing weapon, gripped one of his wrists and held it near the hole. Shuddering, Jongdae looked at the other in slight worry before he let out a yelp, Kyungsoo stomping on his foot, and fired several beams of electricity into the cannon's mouth. The result was the cannonball giving off a brilliant light show as the metal bonded with the electricity, sparks twisting wildly in a spear shape.

“Ow, damn it. You used me?!” Jongdae hollered, Kyungsoo ignoring him in favor of connecting various wires and linking them back up to the ship. The result was the screens resizing to the original size, Kyungsoo smiling at this. He then ambled back over to his cannon and raised it off of the ground, fashioning the rock and sand to be like gears and hooking wires up to it as well.
“The projectiles should launch at a steady speed of 482 km/h, assuming an offset at a maximum of 13 degrees and a margin of error at a flow of 3%. Jongdae, I assume you know how to aim? Being a walking lightning rod and assuming that you're the blood reincarnate of Zeus himself; you go to the ship and get ready for some target practice that won't be much of a practice. Go on, shoo. I have to code in the program that connects the ship with the cannon. Should not take longer than approximately 7 and a half minutes, so go play with the gesture controls.” Kyungsoo spoke hastily, Jongdae deciding to just shrug at this and head off to the ship as told. Kyungsoo pulled up a thick layer of rock around both the ship and cannon, a blast shield, and began to immediately type of a program once he was inside.

“What do we do?”

“When I want you to talk or do something, you don't do it. Now's not the time to talk, so shut your gaping mouth and keep quiet or that thing will find us. And, if it does, I'm feeding you to it first.” Minseok hissed, Joonmyeon furrowing his brows as the two looked out of the icy window that acted as their last barrier.

“Coding in the angle of attack seems to be the tricky part; it all depends on the firing user. You.. I'm going to say you have a steady pose, so we'll fill in the variable with steady and fixed. The core of the projectile, if malformation has occurred as predicted, should be about 2.2 kilograms to 3 kilograms, fixed and accurate. That gives us a leeway o-”

“Stop, stop! You're making my brain fizzle, baby Soo. Just go ahead and code your program, okay? What am I even firing at?” Jongdae interrupted, Kyungsoo rolling his eyes.

“This is basic rocket science. Were you not taught this on Mokari? Here, I'll put things in basic words for you; I may king duh shew-teeng piroh-graham.” Kyungsoo huffed, Jongdae shaking his head.

“You know, I could call that racist but we have more important things on hand. Carry on.”

“Chip chip, cheerio, mate,” Kyungsoo mused, Jongdae crossing his arms with a grumble under his breath. “Anyway, you're firing at that monster. We know for sure Joonmyeon and Minseok went after it, and Dumbyeol and Ignoramis are no longer following our warnings. You get one shot, Zeus, so make it count. Or I'm demoting you to Narcissis, because it suits you better. Get in position, I'm typing in the closing tags and sequencers.” Kyungsoo instructed, Jongdae following his instructions and getting in a spot directly in front of a large screen that Kyungsoo made.

“Program, launch. Focus, Jongdae, keep your eyes on the monster and try to aim it nice and neatly. If you don't, you'll potentially kill Chanyeol or Kris; both if you're really bad.” Kyungsoo singsonged, swiveling in his chair akin to the way Jongdae does. The other could only smile and shake his head.


“Is there anything we can do?” Came a voice, Luhan frowning as he looked at the screen beside Kyungsoo. In then hit and reminded the latter that Kris was Luhan's younger brother. He frowned as well.“Is there anything we can do?”

“You have telepathy, right? And since you and Kris are blood brothers, you should have some form of mental bond established, correct? I need you tap into it and convince him to cease and desist. Immediately.” Kyungsoo suggested, Luhan nodding in response and closing his eyes slowly. There was a short moment before a brief wave tore through the ship, Luhan breathing out a deep sigh with his eyes still closed.

“Kris? Kris, you need to come back. Kyungsoo and Jongdae are firing a missile to get rid of the phantom the both of you are potentially in danger. Kyungsoo says if you move at least.. A-a-at lea..” Kris blinked several times as Luhan's voice faded in a crackling distort, Chanyeol's eyes fixed on the phantom before them in plain sight. It was doing something that had Chanyeol frozen in shock, Kris wanting to reel back and haul out of there;It was climbing. Large, finned and webbed arms with thee curved and black claws the size of telephone poles on earth dug into the rock as if were a gel. It hissed and roared nastily, the many tendrils on its head bending unnaturally in all directions as it searched for something, something Chanyeol realized with a trembling panic.

“It's looking for them! Kris, we have to do something!” He bellowed, kicking his legs out and shooting feeble embers away from him. Kris shook his head quickly, a finger coming up to his mouth in a gesture for the other to be quiet. The last thing he wanted to do was draw the monster's attention; they had no way of fighting something that naturally dwelled under the sea. “Fine, forget it, I'll help them myself.” Chanyeol huffed, brows furrowing and lip pulling up into a brief and nasty scowl of distaste, the boosters on the bottom of his boots knocking out heavy propulsion flames.

“Chanyeol! Damn it, why..” Kris cursed under his breath before taking off after the other, bombing through the air. Then, all at once those tendrils turned to look behind the phantom with all eyes on Chanyeol, a few straying to get Kris in their sight. The phantom whipped around with a bellow of a snarl,a  gurgling sound erupting just before faucet like appendages connected in its mouth. Chanyeol, now frozen once more in his tracks with wide eyes, Kris not close enough for comfort. Hyper pressurized torrent of water slammed into Chanyeol, dousing him and extinguishing his flames momentarily. The beast then closed its jaws, Chanyeol groaning as he fell onto the hard rock. He grunted in pain, pulling himself up just to gasp as one long tendril came face to eye with him, the ring target irises spinning and locking onto him.

“This thing isn't an animal..” He whispered, scampering quickly to his feet just as the phantom opened its gaping jaws to hopefully fire a shot of water that would eliminate Chanyeol.

“Move, you dolt!” Kyungsoo barked, pushing Jongdae out of the way as he quickly assumed command and aimed for the phantom, panic rising as they all witnessed it continuously try to finish off Chanyeol. He fanned his arms out, a large square with a center marker appearing, and slowly gravitated his arms towards each other. The marker zoomed in, everyone watching the screen getting a close up in real time what the phantom was doing. Huffing at this, Kyungsoo then moved his stance so he stood at an angle sideways, one arm pushing forward and the other curling behind him, as if he were about to throw a lightning bolt. The markers on the screen changed to several vertical ticks on the right side, ring targets appearing in the center with a bullseye. “On my command, cannon,” Kyungsoo barked, a small screen showing a live video of the cannon outside with a bright glow seeping out of the mouth.

“Chanyeol! Chanyeol, you have to get away from that thing!” Kris shouted, Chanyeol leaping away from yet another blast of water. There were several craters in the rock from what he avoided and his chest began to heave, his curly hair sticking to his face wetly.

“I can't! I'm wet; my flames won't ignite!” He shouted back, grunting as he crawled away to narrowly avoid another stream. Kris growled in frustration, fingers gripping at his hair. What could he do?

“Ready,” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, the phantom now just turning around to fire at Chanyeol in what he assumed to be attempt to not waste enrgy moving around too much on dry land. The targets flashed green, the bullseye aimed directly at the head.

“There's something going on up there. I can hear voices,” Joonmyeon muttered, Minseok cocking an eyebrow before he kicked away the ice shield and squeezed his hand into a  tight fist, the window shattering in midair. “I think that's Chanyeol!”

“Oh, man..” Chanyeol panted, scooting back quickly to the edge as the phantom opened its mouth again, rows of rotating jaws bringing together  the faucet like appendages once more in its mouth.

“Fire!” Kyungsoo shouted, the cannon outside gathering particles in the air in a twisting fashion before bursting, the multicolored missile streaming through the air. He silently hoped he didn't miss.


A/N: I think I've watched too many sci-fi movies.. Ah well.