Chapter 7

Frozen Hearts

 

The throbbing in Donghae's hand had woken him from his restless sleep just moments before Hyukjae entered his room. When he heard footsteps, Donghae immediately shut his eyes and pretended to be asleep. He tried to calm his breathing and ignore the beating in his chest as he could sense the red head's eyes on him. He prayed that he wasn't blushing.

 

It felt like an eternity that Hyukjae stood over him, and Donghae figured that the older boy was contemplating something. Donghae didn't know what that something was until he felt warm breath on his face. Even with his eyes closed, Donghae knew that Hyukjae's face was just inches from his.

 

 

He held his own breath, nervous and excited at the same time. It took every ounce of will power inside him to keep his sleeping facade. Donghae had no idea what was going on. Why was Hyukjae so close to him?

 

Then it happened.

 

 

Donghae felt soft lips pressed gently against his. If he hadn't already been awake, Donghae would have thought that he was having another dream again. All too soon, those lips left his, and Donghae fought the urge to reclaim them. Hyukjae Donghae's cheek one time with the back of his hand before walking back towards is room and closing the door behind him.

 

Donghae lightly touched his lips.

 

 

Once he shut his door behind him, Hyukjae snapped back to reality and sank to the floor. He sat there, trying to figure out why he just kissed Donghae. Taking a few breaths, Hyukjae stood up and crawled into his bed and covered himself with the blankets. He couldn't help emotions that stirred when the image of Donghae's sleeping face and the way the boy tasted like vanilla when he kissed him.... Frankly, these thoughts weren't just arousing memories, and Hyukjae willed them to go away or he'd have a bit of a problem.

 

 

What am I thinking?” he asked himself. “What am I doing? Lee Hyukjae, you shouldn't feel this way. Not with him.”

 

 

Hyukjae sighed because he knew that reasoning with himself wasn't going to work much any more. Donghae was just too cute for his own good.

 

 

At least, he was asleep....

 

 

Well unfortunately for Hyukjae, Donghae had been awake the whole time, and now he was even more awake. He was staring at the ceiling lamely. Donghae bit his lip lightly and squeezed his eyes shut. He didn't know what to feel. A tiny place in the back of his mind told him that this wasn't right...not exactly wrong, but still not right. However, despite that foreboding feeling, Donghae shoved his face into his pillow to hide how bad he was blushing just from thinking about Hyukjae's kiss.

 

The vibrating of his phone on his desk woke Hyukjae the next morning. He groaned and rolled out of his bed to get it.

 

 

He answered it and Sungmin's excited voice rang through the receiver. “Hyukkie! School was canceled today!”

 

 

Hyukjae rubbed his eyes tiredly. “W-Why?”

 

 

There was a storm last night. It knocked out the power.”

 

The red head grinned. “Thanks for letting me know.” He said goodbye and disconnected the call.

 

 

He glanced at the clock. It was really early, just around five in the morning. Hyukjae was about to go back to sleep when he figured that he should let Donghae know. He bit his lip lightly, ordering himself to stay calm and act as if nothing happened before.

 

 

Upon crossing the hallway into Donghae's room, he knocked first, just in case the boy was already awake. When he didn't get an answer, Hyukjae gently pushed the door open. Donghae wasn't in his bed, but Hyukjae noticed that the light from inside the bathroom attached to the room was on.

 

 

Ouch, dammit!”

 

Hyukjae grinned at the small curse coming from the bathroom. He peeked in and saw Donghae struggling to bandage his hand again. Hyukjae rolled his eyes and silently entered the room, slinging his arms over Donghae's shoulders andpurposely unintentionally pressing himself against Donghae's back.

 

 

Donghae stiffened at the action and gasped.

 

 

Hyukjae chuckled and whispered, “What are you doing up so early?”

 

N-Nothing.” Donghae immediately scolded himself for stammering. So much for acting like nothing happened. Stop being such a girl, Donghae.

 

 

I thought I told you I'd take care of your hand.”

 

 

I can't tell I wanted to avoid him this morning, so I tried to take care of my hand, but instead I dropped the cap for the medicine down the drain, accidentally poured alcohol on my cut, and that it's really complicated to wrap the bandage with only one hand.

 

 

Hyukjae seemed to read his mind. He smiled softly, taking a hold of Donghae's wrist with the injured palm and re-wrapping the bandage.

 

 

There's no school today,” Hyukjae informed Donghae while tending the wound.

 

 

Really?” Donghae swallowed. He could feel the heat radiating off of the body leaning on his.

 

The red head nodded. He finished taking car of Donghae's hand and stepped back. “You know, if you're hand was hurting you so much, you could have just got me.”

 

 

S-Sorry.”

 

 

Hyukjae ruffled the other's chocolate-brown hair. “It's fine. Don't apologize.”

 

 

Thanks, Hyukkie.” Donghae stared at the floor. He was suddenly embarrassed all over again. He glanced up just in time to see Hyukjae's eyes light up. The childish expression on the older's face shocked him for a second.

 

 

You called me Hyukkie! I didn't think you were ever going to! Say it again!”

 

 

Donghae made a really cute confused face, blush and all. “H-Hyukkie...”

 

 

Hyukjae smiled widely. “I only want you to call me that from now on, okay?”

 

 

All Donghae could do was nod.

 

 

The rest of the morning was rather uneventful. Hyukjae went to take a shower, and Donghae decided to do the same. They ate breakfast together as Hyukjae rambled on about the new routine he was choreographing for his dance competition.

 

 

Around noon, Hyukjae got another text from Sungmin.

 

 

To: Hyukkie

 

From: Minnie

 

Kyu and I are coming over tonight to watch movies. ♥

 

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes. “I love how they decide things on their own.” He chuckled softly, running his fingers through his hair.

 

 

What is it?” Donghae asked, just entering the living room.

 

 

Sungmin and Kyuhyun are coming over later.”

 

 

*~*~*

 

 

Hyukkie~” Sungmin sang from outside. “We're here!”

 

Hyukjae sighed and opened the door, revealing his two friends. Sungmin was—of course—dressed in pink from head to toe, smiling innocently.

 

 

Unknown to Hyukjae, his mother had called Sungmin's mother and asked her son to check on Donghae and Hyukjae while they were away. Naturally, he would drag Kyuhyun along.

 

 

Sungmin bounced on the couch and smiled widely at Hyukjae. “So what are we going to watch?”

 

 

I don't know. You wanted to watch movies.” Hyukjae was roaming around the kitchen looking for a bowl to put the popcorn in. Donghae was watching him struggle to find one and began to help him.

 

At the same time, they spotted one in the cupboard above the counter. They reached for it, their fingers touching the rim of the bowl at the same time. Donghae gasped at the sudden contact, although it was very slight, and withdrew his hand quickly. Hyukjae felt the same tingly sensation at his fingertips but ignored it. He grabbed the bowl and poured the popcorn into it.

 

 

Sungmin didn't miss the little exchange. He glanced up at Kyuhyun with an I-sense-something expression. Kyuhyun just shook his head and messed Sungmin's hair.

 

 

We decided on a movie,” the dark-haired boy announced when Hyukjae and Donghae came back.

 

 

We did?” Hyukjae asked, placing the bowl of popcorn on the coffee table in front of the couch.

 

Titanic!”

 

 

It was around ten o' clock when the movie was almost over. Hyukjae glanced at Sungmin and Kyuhyun who were sitting on one of the chairs. Sungmin was in Kyuhyun's lap fast asleep, his head resting against Kyuhyun's chest. The magnae was also sleeping and had his arms securely wrapped around the smaller boy's waist.

 

Smiling to himself, Hyukjae turned to Donghae who was next to him on the couch. He was surprised to see the brunette sniffling, wiping tears away with the sleeve of his shirt.

 

 

Hyukjae looked back to the TV. Everyone was freezing in the water. Jack was dead. Rose let go of his hand.

 

Hyukjae bit his lip. Even if the movie they were watching was so heart wrenching that you just wanted to throw something at the TV to make it stop, Hyukjae couldn't stand it.

 

 

Something about Donghae crying seemed so wrong to him. He hated Donghae's tears.

 

 

Hae?”

 

Donghae looked up at Hyukjae through blurry eyes. Hyukjae scooted closer to the shivering brunette. He hugged the boy to him and his hair. As Hyukjae rubbed circles into his back, Donghae leaned into the embrace and gripped the back of Hyukjae's shirt tightly.

 

 

Shh... it's okay.” Hyukjae whispered comforts in the younger boy's ear. “It's just a movie, Hae. Don't cry.”

 

Hyukjae wiped Donghae's tears away with his thumbs as he leaned away. He cupped Donghae's face in his hands and stared into his eyes. Donghae whimpered vulnerably, a few more tears staining his cheeks. He stiffened though when the red head's face was suddenly centimeters from his.

 

 

Please stop crying,” Hyukjae breathed against Donghae's quivering lips.

 

 

For a moment, Donghae thought that Hyukjae was going to kiss him. And he was slightly disappointed when Hyukjae pulled away. Still, the red head didn't let the other go. He held onto him until Donghae's breathing became rhythmic and the boy was sleeping in his arms.

 

 

By then, the credits were rolling and Hyukjae shut the TV off. He gently removed Donghae's fingers from his shirt and laid the boy on the couch. He also figured that Kyuhyun and Sungmin were going to spend the night since they were already sleeping. Grabbing a couple blankets, he covered the two lovers on the chair with one and Donghae with the other.

 

 

Just as he was about to go upstairs, he stopped beside Donghae.

 

There were still tears evident on the boy's face. Hyukjae knelt down and brushed them away with his finger. He bit his lip and closed his eyes to calm himself down.

 

 

Why do I want to keep kissing you?