Chapter 14

Frozen Hearts

 

Donghae was practically panting by the time he arrived at the roof. He stumbled through the door and looked around for Hyukjae. At first, Donghae thought he wasn't there, but then he saw a snow-covered person lying on the ground, and Donghae only knew one person with hair that shade of red.

 

 

Hyukjae!” Donghae knelt down next to the older boy. He didn't look hurt, but his forehead was burning up and he was shivering violently. “Hyukkie, wake up!”

 

The next hour seemed to pass by in slow motion. Hyukjae was taken to the hospital with a dangerously high fever and a mild case of hypothermia. He must have passed out in the snow long before Donghae found him.

 

 

The brunette was glued to his bedside, begging for Hyukjae to open his eyes.

 

You have to wake up, Hyukjae,” he whispered, tears dripping silently down his neck. “This is all my fault, Donghae choked out. Technically, that was true, but it was never Donghae's intention to make Hyukjae sick.

 

He suddenly cried out, the sheets of Hyukjae's hospital bed.

 

 

You probably hate me!” Donghae clutched at one of Hyukjae's hands as if he was scared the red head was going to disappear. “I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Hyukkie.”

 

 

He slept at the hospital that night. There was a scary wave of nostalgia that washed over him as he curled up in the chair next to Hyukjae's bed. Donghae feared that another person he loved with all his heart was going to die on him. He cried himself to sleep, the whole time begging his father to ask God to spare Hyukjae and help him get better. He would never recover if Hyukjae died.

 

 

The next day, Hyukjae was declared out-of-danger by the doctors. His fever had decreased, but it was still a little high. He still hadn't woken up, which scared Donghae a lot, but he was relieved that his prayers had been answered. Hyukjae would be okay.

 

 

What would Hyukjae's reaction be when he saw him? Would he be happy? Or would he be angry? Broken? Donghae prayed that it would be the first one, but his sense of reality told him that it would probably be somewhere between two and three. But the thing that worried Donghae the most wasn't how Hyukjae would react or if he would be forgiven.

 

He feared that Hyukjae would go on ignoring his existence, just like when they first met.

 

Donghae sighed, still staring at Hyukjae's sleeping face. He gently brushed red hair from the latter's eyes. “I love you, Hyukkie,” he said softly. The hand that had been fixing Hyukjae's hair began tracing the older's lips. The brunette jumped slightly when he felt Hyukjae's fingers twitch under his and the latter's lips part at his touch.

 

 

H-Hyukkie?”

 

 

Hyukjae blinked from the bright lights that suddenly invaded his vision. He struggled to sit up and, as a reflex, reached for someone to help steady himself. He groaned at the lightheaded feeling that wracked his brain. After a few seconds, he realized that it was Donghae who was next to him. He released his hold on Donghae's arms like they were on fire.

 

Donghae felt like his heart had been ripped out.

 

 

W-What...?” Hyukjae stuttered, trying to reclaim the ability to speak.

 

 

You passed out on the roof yesterday.” Donghae stared at his hands, which were now clasped in his lap. “I...”

 

Why would it matter to you? Why are you even here? Don't you have a girlfriend to go make out with?” The questions spewed from Hyukjae's mouth in a rush.

 

 

Each one was like a stab in the heart, for both of them.

 

 

Hyukkie, you have to listen to me. I never loved Jessica,” Donghae pleaded. He willed himself not to meet Hyukjae's frustrated glare. “It was a lie.”

 

 

Am I supposed to believe that?”

 

 

Donghae went silent. Hyukjae had every right to be mad at him.

 

 

I love you,” the brunette mumbled pitifully.

 

 

Hyukjae grabbed the younger's chin and forced him to look him in the eyes. “Why did you break up with me like that?”

 

 

She threatened to expose that we were brothers to the whole school. She had video, Hyukkie. What was I supposed to do?” Donghae had started to cry again.

 

 

Hyukjae's glare faded as he wiped the tears away with his thumb. “Stop crying, Hae,” he whispered.

 

 

I loved you the whole time! I still love you!” Donghae confessed, more tears spilling from his eyes. “I'm sorry! I-I'll do anything! J-Just don't h-hate me, please... I love you, Hyukkie.”

 

 

My God, you idiot. Stop crying,” Hyukjae said, unable to handle even the idea of a crying Donghae. “I don't hate you.”Even when you were breaking my heart, I still loved you. “Now get up here so I can kiss you like that never could.”

 

Donghae smiled and climbed onto the small hospital bed, half-pulled by Hyukjae, until he was sitting on the older boy's lap. The red head took the initiative almost immediately and closed the gap between them, tugging on Donghae's messy hair to bring him impossibly closer. It was a needy kiss for both of them, but a gentle one, only their lips meeting over and over again.

 

 

They were so caught up on the moment, that neither Hyukjae nor Donghae heard the door being opened. But they did hear the short gasp that followed.

 

 

Hyukjae broke the kiss, his eyes widening as he saw who had entered the room.

 

 

U-Umma?”

 

 

He stared in disbelief at his mother and his father who had both appeared out of nowhere. Donghae completely froze on his lap and turned bright red because they had been caught kissing...by their parents.

 

Hyukjae dear, what is going on?” his mother asked, holding onto her husband for support.

 

 

Donghae scrambled to get off of Hyukjae, but the red head wouldn't let him. He settled for sitting in between Hyukjae's legs and fought the urge to hide his face in the latter's chest.

 

Umma, Appa...” Hyukjae started nervously. He wasn't prepared for this, especially after everything that happened recently. “W-Why are you back so suddenly?”

 

 

We planned on surprising you two this morning, but no one was home. Then we got a message from the hospital saying that you fainted yesterday so we hurried down as fast as we could,” his mother explained. She still looked at them with a blank, shocked expression on her face.

 

 

Donghae blushed and opened his mouth to speak, but Hyukjae beat him to it. “I love Donghae. Please don't make us break up because we're brothers. Well, we aren't really, but you know what I mean. I love him more than anything.”

 

 

A-And I love Hyukjae,” Donghae added. He bowed his head. “I'm s—”

 

 

Donghae,” Mrs. Lee said, cutting him off. “You better not apologize. Falling in love is certainly nothing to be sorry for.”

 

 

So you're okay with it?” Hyukjae asked, his entire face brightening. His parents smiled and nodded. He grinned and kissed Donghae's cheek.

 

 

If you want, your father and I can get the adoption papers voided by the end of this month.”

 

 

Hyukjae nearly squeezed the life out of Donghae with a Leeteuk-like power hug. He wanted to kiss the daylights out of the boy, but he figured he could do that when they weren't in front of his parents.

 

 

Mr. Lee smiled, hugging his wife. “And we thought we were the only ones with big news,” he said.

 

 

What do you mean, Appa?” Hyukjae asked, his arms still wrapped securely around Donghae's waist. He rested his chin on the brunette's shoulder.

 

 

Well,” Mrs. Lee started, “even though Donghae will no longer be my son now, there will still be two brothers in this family.”

 

 

Hyukjae frowned, assessing her statement. Then it hit him. His mouth dropped open. “You're...”

 

 

That's right,” she said, glowing. “I'm nearly three months pregnant.”

 

 

*~*~*

 

 

That night, Hyukjae was discharged from the hospital. His parents celebrated both their good news with strawberry cake. Donghae watched with a smile as Hyukjae devoured his slice happily, laughing and smiling for the rest of the night.

 

 

Things were finally working for them. There weren't anymore worries about their relationship and they were together.

 

 

Donghae and Hyukjae were sitting on the couch while they watched some random drama. Hyukjae's parents wished them good night and went upstairs to bed.

 

 

Maybe we should get some rest too,” Hyukjae suggested just as Donghae yawned. He chuckled lightly and kissed Donghae's lips quickly, pulling the sleepy boy up with him. When Donghae almost went to sleep in his room, Hyukjae hooked an arm around the brunette's waist to stop him. “Where do you think you're going?”

 

 

Bed?” Donghae replied, slightly confused.

 

 

Not in there, you're not.” Hyukjae dragged Donghae with him to his room. “You sleep with me every night.”

 

 

Donghae blushed and said, “But Hyukkie, you're parents are home now....”

 

Hyukjae just shrugged and pushed Donghae so that he fell on the bed. “This should be exciting then.”

 

 

Donghae gasped as Hyukjae crawled on top of him and kissed him roughly, his hips grinding against the younger's harshly. The brunette let out a strangled moan into the kiss. Hyukjae smirked.

 

 

Let's see how quiet you can be. You wouldn't want to disturb my parents with your loud .”

 

 

Hyukjae blew hot air against Donghae's ear, a whimper leaving those swollen, thin lips.

 

 

*~*~*

 

 

The next morning, Hyukjae woke up tangled in the sheets and Donghae's limbs. He laid soft kisses against the sleeping brunette's hairline, coaxing his lover awake.

 

 

Morning, Hae,” he said sweetly as Donghae snuggled into his side.

 

 

Morning.” The younger boy rubbed his eyes.

 

 

Hyukjae grinned at the adorable sight. He played with the ends of Donghae's hair, which was still disheveled from last night's activities. “You know what I was thinking?”

 

 

What?”

 

 

No matter how cold it is outside, I'll always be nice and warm right here.” Hyukjae pulled the brunette closer for emphasis.

 

That's so cheesy,” Donghae whined cutely, burying his flushed face into the red head's neck.

 

Hyukjae smiled and kissed Donghae's forehead. “But it made you melt.”