Preparations

White Flowers and Pandas

 

 

Warm air blasts on your hair, making you cringe at the sudden change in temperature that crept to your face.

“Hold still,” you heard your mother’s voice fighting with the roaring the blow-dryer is making. It’s already 6pm, two hours before Seunghyun will pick you up. You’ve been bothered the whole day if he will really pick you up because you have no memory of showing your home to him.

Aside from being bothered, a mixture of emotions grasped you throughout the day. You were concern about your appearance, you’ve selected a dress a few days ago, your hairstyle and make-up replayed every night in your head. All your preparations will be at their peak tonight.

From all the emotions you’ve felt, only two are making your sanity falter. One, you were nervous. This is the first time that somebody actually asked you out on a date. But he needs one though, you thought shamefully, getting ahead of yourself. Seunghyun needs a date for the ball, that’s why he asked you out, that doesn’t mean he has feelings for you. But you were not complaining, you can’t imagine any other guy to be with you tonight aside from him. He’s your bestfriend by the way. Or at least you thought he is.

The second emotion, and you hated it more than the first one, is fear. You’ll be bringing Ri with you, it will take all your might to leave him. Ri always attracts unwanted attention, attention turning into mocks and judgment. You don’t blame the panda; in fact you were not ashamed of it. What hurts you the most is that people don’t even try to understand you. They don’t know your story, and yet there they are, discriminating you, depriving you of your freedom to express yourself like they are the most saintly people in the world. You shouldn’t mind right now, after all you grew with all that. But the stares and unpleasant smiles people still gives you shoot pain near your heart.

“We still have time left, let’s put your make up now,” your mother said.

“Remember mom, not too much, just light shades like nothing happened,” you said to her.

Just then, your brother barged into the room, munching a piece of bread. “So, who will pick up my lovely princess?” your brother asked, smiling at you.

“Oh, just a friend,” you replied to him, not comfortable with him asking any further questions.

“Is it the one you baked a cake for?” he continued, making you agitated.

“You baked a cake for someone?” your mother joined in the interrogation.

You thought for a while, finding a mean to escape this embarrassing conversation. “Umm, yes,” you managed to say. Your brother’s eyebrow shoot upward, he can’t hide his curiosity. As for your mom, she just smiled warmly at you and continued tending your face.

“This guy…is he kind? What does he look like? Does he treat you right?” your brother suddenly bombarded you with questions, a hint of concern shows in his voice. If you answered honestly to his questions, Seunghyun can’t show his face again here.

Your brother continued asking more questions, like where school he goes, his achievements and his moral standards. Your mother laughed at your brother. “I am so happy that I am blessed with such wonderful children,” she walked towards your brother and hugged him, “thank you son, for being a great brother to your sister. I’m sure your father is proud of you right now.”

You smiled broadly. Your family always makes your heart burst; filling it with the warm love everybody gives for one another.

“But you shouldn’t be asking too much about your sister’s private life,” he scolded your brother, twisting his ear in the process. “I’m sure she knows what she wants,” she turned to you and winked, staring at you with a knowing looking. “Now stand up, dear,” she said to you. You did what you were told.

Your brother’s face was beaming with pride as he looks at you from head to toe. “It’s only normal for a handsome boy like me to have a gorgeous little sister,” he complimented you, but more of him.

What he said was true. You were wearing a yellow cocktail dress with intricate designs climbing up to your chest. From your chest, the dress hooks up to your left shoulder and connects behind your back. To make up for the exposed skin from your shoulder to your arm, you wore a black leather glove on your left hand and a beautiful bracelet on your right. The dress falls down just above your knees with folded wavy cloth of different shades of yellow running down your thighs. A black sash rounds up your waist, knotting to a ribbon on your back. A pair of silver heels, both an inch high, cradles your feet.

Your hair was resting on one side. Your mother curled it up to give it volume, and she did quite an excellent job. Your make up is light, just the way you liked it, making you recognizable and your natural beauty radiating. A silver panda head hung on a chain around your neck.

You look at yourself at the mirror, and were very satisfied. “Don’t worry too much,” you heard your brother say, “You’re very beautiful right now. Your fair skin compliments with the dress, and your hair is at its best. I am proud to call you my sister.” You returned his encouragement with a smile. You felt good about yourself. You felt confident.

I’m ready, you smiled. 


I'm worried if we get to imagine the same dress. Hahaha. If you want to know what's really on my mind, you should watch the MV of Twinkle by TaeTiSeo (Yes, I'm also a SNSD fanboy), and look for the outfit that Taeyeon wears during the staircase scene. It's the closest to the dress mentioned above.

This is intended to be a short chapter, because I'll immediately update tonight or tomorrow. 

Thanks for reading ^^