Impossible Dream

White Flowers and Pandas

You walked to the side of the tree, the side facing the lake. And you saw two sets of horizontal gashes. Lines over lines, climbing up the tree. Seunghyun was beside you in an instant. "Shall we check who's taller again?" he said, raising one of his brows.

You don't know how this started, but ever since you've met him, both of you started checking who's taller, turning it into a competition.


That night, you slept great, being reunited again with your panda. And the students' reactions to your behavior doesn't even matter to you anymore. "I think it's cute,"  the boy's statement gave you more courage to be who you are. You started feeling grateful to him, but a bit disappointed because you don't know his name. That's why you've decided to drop by the tree again after school.

 

You climbed up the tree, and grabbed a big white flower. You put in on your right ear. You were once more disappointed because the boy is not here. You've wanted to ask his name. 

You knelt down beside the lake, and checked your reflection there. You tilted to one side, and felt pretty with the white flower hanging there. You've been busy checking your reflections and was not able to hear the footsteps behind you.

"What are you doing?" said a voice, startling you and almost falling face down in the lake. Good thing you were able to grabbed at the ground beneath. 

You angrily looked behind you. "Don't do that!" you shouted. But he was not listening to you. He started climbing up the tree. Your anger was replaced by curiousity. You saw him going down. He jumped when the distance is safe enough. He was holding something in his left hand. He went to the lake, bended a bit, checked his reflection, and looked back at you.

"Am I pretty now?" he asked. He burst out laughing. The thing on his hand was a flower, and now, it was on his ear. He was mocking you! He's imitating you. Your face burned, making it red from embarrassment. On the other hand, him laughing hysterically is making you furious. 

You started running towards him. You caught him unprepared, and pushed him towards the lake. He fell, bottom first, his hands behind him. Good thing the water is shallow on this part. But he was still laughing. You thought you'll make him angry too.

"You looked like a raging bull!" and he laughed again. Having enough, you started walking away. 

You were far away from him now when you heard him call, "You forgot your panda again!"

You realized it, and walked back, trying not to looked embarrassed. He was leaning beside the tree now, with Ri on his hand, the flower still on his ear, and a smile curving to the right. Oh how much you wanted to punched him on the face!

You grabbed Ri from him sharply, and started walking away again. But his question caught your attention, "What's your name?"

Because of him being mean to you, you forgot again what your purpose for waiting was: his name. You told him your name, and you asked for his.

"I'm Seunghyun, nice to meet you," he said, smiling idiotically. "So what were you doing here?" he asked.

You panicked, You can't tell him that you were waiting for him, that was too embarrassing, and it might get to his head. "I like this place," you said.

"Really? Me too," he said. 

After that, no words were spoken. He turned his back away and went to the side of the tree facing the lake. "Can you do me a favor?" he asked. You obliged. He stood straight, his back on the tree, and motioned for you to make a mark just above his head. You did so, even though you have no idea what you were doing. 

He stepped out, and looked at the mark you made. "Yes!" he cheered. You don't understand what he's so happy about. You looked at the mark you made, and noticed that a few more marks were there beneath it. And with that, you understood.

"Checking your height?" you asked suspiciously. He nodded. "Why?" you continued.

"If I will be a celebrity someday, I need to be tall," he said proudly. You laughed at how wild his dreams were. He shot you a glare. 

Motioning your head side to side, as if you find his dream impossible, you picked up the rock you used to mark his height. You stood on the left of the sets of his "height marks" and made a mark above your head. You stepped away, looked at your mark, looked at his, and looked at him with a distasteful smirk. "If you can't even be taller than me, you should stopped dreaming of being a celebrity now. I have more chance than you," and with that, you stuck your tongue out at him. 

He looked at the marks as well. And he started blinking several times. You noticed that he blinks too much if he's nervous, laughing, or talking too much. 

Being content that you shattered his dreams, you walked away to get home. "It's getting late," you said, "I should be going home now. Goodbye!"

He called your name. "Wait! Will you come here tomorrow again?" he asked.

You thought about it, looked at him, and said "Only if you get taller than me!"


"Seunghyun, you do it first," you said. He stood on his path, back pressing on the tree, stood straight, gulped and blinked several times. You reached forward above him, and made a gash there. He stepped out. Sure enough, he was taller than the last time you checked. 

Smiling confidently, he said "Your turn." You positioned yourself on your spot, stood straight. He reached above you, breathing heavily as he did so. You can't helped but notice how his breath smell so good! You blushed as he was making a mark, his chin just infront your nose. "Ok, done," he said, and you pushed him away.

You both stared at the marks, and he started jumping up and down. He ran aimlessly, stood up on of the tireswings, swaying back and forth. "Finally!" he shouted. He looked at you and arrogantly said, "I'm taller than you! I'm gonna be a celebrity!"

You can't help but feel happy for him as well, but you did not show it. Instead, you tried your best to look frustrated. He jumped out of the tireswings, and ran beside you. "I told you I'm gonna become a celebrity" he said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Not with that ugly face you won't," you said. But it seem he doesn't mind any of your comebacks now.

"Don't worry, Seunghyun. I'm gonna support you if ever you'll be an idol!" you thought and smiled.