Awkward Beginnings

White Flowers and Pandas

In a small place in Gwangju, under a very huge tree, sitting on one of the two tireswings attached on a branch, you found yourself swaying back and forth, reminiscing the time when you first discovered this place only known to few.


It was 6 years ago, when you were only 8 years old, you were walking around your neighborhood, carrying your favorite panda stuffed toy with you, when you first saw the place. After playing for 8 years, you thought you’ve known every nooks and crannies of your hometown. So you were surprised to find such a place.

It happened when you decided to stray from the path that most people tread. On your way to your friend’s house, you tripped and got dirty. Seeing one of your favourite clothes ruined doesn’t make you happy.  Luckily you were able to save your panda, raising it up before falling. You won’t forgive yourself if you allowed it to be dirty. Knowing your neighborhood like the back of your hand, you ran to your left where the grass grew. You ran and ran, until you’ve reached a lake. You knew this lake because you and your father used to go here, before he passed away.

You knelt down beside the lake, situated the panda a bit far from you for fear of it falling into the lake, scooped a handful of water, and damped it on the dirty part of your clothes; rubbing and rubbing until you’re satisfied that it’s clean. You lifted your head, and on the corner of your right eye, you saw something white.

On the other side of the lake, standing tall and lonely is a tree with white flowers. You’ve never seen such a beautiful tree before. You grabbed your panda by the hand, and ran on the edge of the lake, until you’ve reached the tree. It was more beautiful up close, you were overwhelmed by its majesty. It was the only tree, among all the other trees around, which grew the white flowers.

Leaning the panda on one side of the tree, you climbed it to get a flower for yourself. Grasping the trunk, searching blindly for footholds, you’ve reached the top without much effort. You reached out for a flower, picked the biggest you can reach, and placed it on your right ear. You smiled and felt pretty.

You stayed there for a while, mind drifting, and felt very welcomed and at home. You faced the lake, and can’t believe how wonderful the view is. It felt like you were in a fantasy filled world as you looked at the sparkling lake, the chirping of birds, the wind caressing your hair, and somebody whistling.

“Wait, what?!” you thought, suddenly snapping out of your daydream. You stood up from your seat, and crouched underneath, finding a spot on the tree where you can’t be seen. There was definitely somebody down there, someone whistling a tune.

Carefully positioning yourself so you can look down the tree without being caught, you saw a child under you. It was a child, a boy! He was leaning on one side of the tree, opposite of the part where your panda is leaning.

“It’s a good thing he didn’t saw my panda,” you thought. You moved a bit to the edge of the tree, struggling to see the boy’s face. Without any warning, the boy stood up. Startled, you quickly moved back, hitting a small branch in the process. The leaves on that branch fell down, and if that wasn’t bad enough, they fell in front of the boy’s gaze.

Ottoke, ottoke, ottoke,” you murmured, panic in your chest. “Please don’t look up, please don’t look up,” you chanted, instantly becoming the most religious person in that moment.

But the boy did look up, curiosity in his eyes. You peered a bit again, and your heart suddenly leapt to your throat. “He’s climbing up!”

Looking left and right, panic in your chest, there was nothing you could do. One hand came to your view, then another shot upwards and grabbed on a nearby branch. You watched as the boy easily climbed the tree, he didn’t seem to notice you, yet.

He was roughly the same age as you, you calculated. One more thing you noticed if he ever eats, he’s thin, thinner than you.

After he was totally up, he crouched down, and lifted his head. You made eye contact. He was astonished to see you there, jumping back a bit. Seeing that he’d fall, you took hold of his shirt and pulled him towards you. Your foreheads hit each other, and both of you yelped in pain.

Rubbing his forehead and crunching up his face, he asked, “Are you a ghost of this tree?” The question was funny to you, you chuckled a bit.

“I’m not!” you said, a chuckle escaped your mouth again. Seeing that you’re making fun of him, he stared at you. You blushed, not comfortable that he’s staring at you. You turned your gaze away.

“Am I handsome?” he asked, a big smile forming on his face. The question caught you unprepared, a bit irritated of how confident the boy in front of you is.

“I need to go home now,” you said, avoiding the question. For one thing, he is cute, but handsome is not really on your mind right now. You just want to get far away from him, away from the awkward situation you got yourself in. “Oh why did I not cleaned myself in my friend’s house instead?” you thought, “but if I did that I will not find this wonderful place.”

He walked, while crouching, backwards, reached his foot down on the trunk in search of a foothold. He found one, and he descended. You followed after him. When you were almost at the base of the tree, he offered his hand, his face not looking at you. But you just brushed his hand off, you looked at him, a bit of hurt was clear in his face.

Avoiding him, you started walking away. “Oi!” he called, you turned your gaze towards him.

You saw him putting his hands behind him, his feet fidgeting the ground, and his gaze was on the ground. “Umm, it’s... I think...well...” he stammered. You find it cute that he’s doing that.

“Woah! I just did not thought of that,” you scolded yourself. From what he’s doing, you concluded that he’s weird.

And both at the same time:

“You’re weird!” you shouted.

“You’re pretty!” he shouted.

What he said turned your face in the shade of red. You instantly turned away and ran. Running and running away from him, from that weird, cute boy that called you pretty. Your heart was thumping, you don’t know if it’s thumping because you’re tired of running, or something else.

“Wait!” he called. You heard him running towards you. “Wait!” he shouted once again.

“Get away from me!” you shouted back, running faster and faster. You did not look back; you ran all the way back to your house.


You were laughing at yourself about how foolish you were back then when you heard the other tire swing being occupied by a boy.

“You’re early,” the boy said, giving you one of his smiles.

“You’re late, Seunghyun!” you said, punching him on his shoulders.