Primus

Vampire Twins
Primus
I
Primus
I
Primus
I
Can you see it? The fear in their eyes.

In the dead middle of the night, when no one with a bit of sense should be wandering about, two shadows flew across the sky and landed on the most gothic looking building in the city. It had plenty of stone gargoyles for pigeons to crap on and an unimaginable variety of curly filigrees for pigeons to nest in but that's not important. The important thing is, they landed without making a sound and alerted no one of their sneaky plan to infiltrate the unguarded library.

 

A chilling howl in the distance reminded them it was a full moon tonight. The plump shadow drifted towards the skinny shadow and they merged into a pretty monstrous shadow.

 

"Is that... a werewolf? I don't like werewolves. They bite."

 

"So do we." The skinny shadow shoved the plump shadow away. "Now stop making a big fuss. It's just a dog."

 

"We do bite but ours is a tiny insignificant peak while those big furry things just gnaw and tear and gnaw and tear some more."

 

"Even if they ripped your throat out, you wouldn't feel a thing."

 

"True, but still... Don't you think they're savages? They kill things. Well, we do too but in self-defense. I mean, they're just rabid dogs. Who would want to be friends with them, right Junki?"

 

"Yeah, sure, whatever." The skinny shadow called Junki wasn't really listening to the unnecessary rambles as he unlatched the heavy windows with a super long fingernail. He gave the glass panel a gentle push and it swung open. "We're in. Jaejoong, jump down. Just make sure you don't get her petticoats caught in something like last time. I don't want to go buy her new clothes."

 

"I'll buy her new clothes."

 

"Seriously, I don't want you to do it either. Now jump!"

 

Jaejoong complied readily and dropped down into the quiet library. A second later, Junki landed behind him in the same weightless fashion. "Is she still asleep?" He leaned over Jaejoong's shoulder and took a peek at the ruffles and lace.

 

"Yep. She's a super heavy sleeper. The sky could fall right now and she wouldn't wake."

 

"That's a good thing. Well, except when it's my turn to lug her around."

 

"I would be delighted to carry her the whole way but you always insist on taking her off my hands... quite forcefully too. So, like, I kind of had to oblige."

 

"Well, it's only fair. Okay, let's split up and search the place."

 

Jaejoong peered down and frowned. "What are we looking for again?" He smoothed out her puffy black dress and straightened her silky red bow.

 

"Everything on vampires, the occult, the supernatural-"

 

"And Death?"

 

Junki cringed at the word. "Yeah... sure... why not."

 

"Now that she's nice and pretty again, Xinling and I will go this way." He lifted her up in his arms and disappeared behind a towering bookshelf.

 

"Have it your way then." Junki's eyes scanned the nearest shelf. His finger hovered across volumes and volumes of boring books. "There's nothing worth reading over here." He stepped out from the rows of books and leaped over a long table running down the middle. Hopefully he'll find something interesting on this side of the room.

 

Jaejoong spotted the grand staircase and immediately headed towards it. "Oh, I love sliding down the rails. You do too, don't you, Xinling?" He paused and then nodded his head. "Of course you do. You love everything I love." Jaejoong approached the first steps and gazed down to the next floor with a smile. "Shall we proceed?" He hopped onto the wide handrail and gave Xinling a squeeze. "Here we go."

 

Junki sat down on the floor with an open book in his hand and rested his shoulder against one of the sturdier shelves. He flipped the page and scowled. "What the ? This is complete bull. Vampires aren't immortals..." He flipped back to the first page. "Which stupid man wrote this?" He read the name printed underneath the bold title. "Athena Wrightworth Ph.D. Oh, it's a woman. No wonder this book is full of crap." Junki slammed it shut and tossed the book carelessly over his shoulder. It landed with a nasty thud and joined the others. "Seriously... immortal? If only... then we wouldn't be on the run." He shook his head. "Crazy woman."

 

Jaejoong propped Xinling's head up onto his shoulder and glanced around. "Very dull looking, this dusty old place. But, Junki insist that we search for some clues to the whereabouts of our maker and your soul so... here we are... searching." Jaejoong gazed down at the sleeping Xinling and chuckled. "You think he's crazy too, huh? Well, at least this place is werewolf-free. I can't imagine one immersing itself in a book and I highly doubt they're good readers. Those big furry things are probably out there enjoying a couple of tasty human livers. Oh, speaking of tasty, did you gain weight? Not that I'm complaining." He readjusted his left arm under her lower thighs when he thought he heard something.

 

Jaejoong closed his eyes. His long lashes rested perfectly still against a stark white face. He could hear it very clearly. Someone was breathing and it wasn't him. And it definitely wasn't Xinling. She had never taken a breath in her life. "I think... we better dance away." He whispered to Xinling as he swung her under one arm.

 

Two figures shot out from the shadows to block his escape. He propelled himself over them like a skilled acrobat and ascended on a third figure. Jaejoong twisted the black cloak around him and slid under the long table. A poison tipped bolt zipped passed his head and struck a bookcase. Hunters...

 

"How did you manage to find us?"

 

"Our Seer foresaw your coming."

 

"Oh, you have a Seer now? Nice."

 

Jaejoong evaded the next few speeding bolts and flew for cover behind a wall of books. Unfortunately, he wasn't quick enough. One of the bolts nipped the edge of his cloak and it hissed. He placed Xinling down and guided her head to the floor with a gentle hand. "Sorry, darling. I can't move as fast as I should with you under my arm."

 

Flash. Jaejoong covered her body with his as a bright blast burned a hole through the wall of books. Blazing pages danced in the air like yellowish feathers in the wind. He sat up straight and stared through the hole to the magic using hunter on the other side. "What did these books ever do to you, huh? Did your father make you read too many in your flowery youth?"

 

Suddenly, another hunter came down on him from above, bearing a long one-sided blade. Jaejoong raised his right arm and blocked it while his left arm grabbed Xinling. He turned his head just in time to see a drop of his own blood flying towards her. He stretched his arm and caught it in the palm of his hand before it reached her lips. Jaejoong sighed in relief. 

 

Junki whisked behind the blade wielding hunter and ripped off the man's head with his bare hands. The blood spewed all over his face. He wiped the thick blood out from his eyes and it gingerly. It had a unique savory zing as the blood did not belong to just one man. It was a mixture of all the hunters he had killed on the previous floor.

 

"You're as scary as the werewolves..."

 

"Is she still asleep?"

 

"Yes but-"

 

"Take her away now and I will follow later."

 

Jaejoong turned to grab her. He blinked in surprise. Xinling... where was Xinling? He lifted up his arm and stared at it. His face grew dangerously pale. Did she... wake? Maybe she didn't. But if she did... .

Vampire Twins is a sister story to Wayward Lover and the two tales will eventually intersect. The twins are inspired by Subaru&Kamui.