Six

No Absolute Way
 

Jaeeun's POV

Was this guy... serious? The groom who died in that story? Wait, it's just a myth, right? That's what Uncle always told me: that scary story everyone always spreaded around was a hoax. People just wanted a good exciting story to pass around, so they created a realistic one out of thin air. Yes, that's right, it's just another lie to laugh at. Maybe this man was just going around people the same thing trying to pull a prank for a good laugh. 

"Uh, yeah, sure, okay. I'm going to leave now so bye," I said as I pushed him out of my way and dashed towards my house, but out of absolute thin air, he reappeared in front of me like smoke. "YAH!" I screamed falling onto the ground, flat on my . The man looked down at me with a worried expression.

"D-don't be afraid of me, please-"

"No! Get away from me!" I yelled at him trying to stand up as I scooted back. He walked towards me slowly, reaching out his hand as he kneeled down.

"Please, don't be scared," he pleaded me with a devastated look. Still, not believing him, I gathered myself from the floor and ran away. Not towards my house, not anywhere in particular; just away from him. I sprinted with all of my might, not turning back at all. I was so anxious to get away, I didn't hear him trail behind me. Suddenly, I felt a grasp on my forearm and was forcefully turned around to meet face-to-chest with him. He wrapped his long arms around my body and then I felt a sudden breeze blow past us. I immediately broke free from his embrace and pushed him onto the floor with all of my strength. 

"What-" I shouted, but was soonly shut up as I realized we weren't on the my street anymore. In fact, we were'nt even outside. I widened my eyes as I realized that we were inside of a dim litted bedroom. I turned my head side to side, trying to figure out what the hell just happened. My breathing got heavier wondering how in the first place we even got in this room. I looked at the man, looking for an explanation. However, he wasn't looking back at me. He looked out the window, staring at the dark night sky. Then, he began to speak again.

"I know what you're thinking: what is happening? Right?" He muttered, still facing towards the window. I nodded replying as if he was looking at me. Finally, he slowly turned towards me and took one step closer to me, and then another until he was an inch away from my body. His eyes bore into mine with a helpless gaze. I don't know why I didn't push him away from me again. I don't know why I didn't try running away. My body stood in the same place. I had this weird feeling this wasn't just a joke anymore. Whoever this guy was... he was the real deal. This man is the groom that died before he could reach his happily ever after.

 

"Well, for starters, I'm a ghost."

Again, my eyes widened with a baffled look. A ghost? Well, that does make sense since he is dead afterall. But, how is this even possible? Ghosts aren't real. 

"Don't believe me?" he questioned me noticing my reaction. Silence was all I could give him in a reply. He scoffed, and I couldn't help but feel offended.

"Don't scoff at me-"

"How do you think we got here?" he cut me off, once again, but he was right. How did we get here? I scratched the back of my head nervously, trying t come up with a realistic explanation rather than "a ghost teleported us here", but nothing. There's no other way besides teleportation. Then, he bent down to my height so we could stare at each other. "Exactly," he whispered.

Taemin, I think that's his name, began to roam around the room, letting his hand fall onto the bed, tracing it with one finger as he walked around it while staring at it.

"I'm so tired," he mumbled, but loud enough for me to hear. Then, he pushed off the blanket and climbed into it, settling his body making himself comfortable and closed his eyes. I had no absolute idea what he was doing. He brought me here to watch him sleep? 

"I can't sleep," he spoke with his eyes still closed. "I've been wandered the same street for 30 years, full of thoughts, wonders, and ideas. That's bound to tire me out, right? I can't even sleep in the end." Everything he just said was absolutely miserable, but he managed to say it all in a calm voice. 

I stayed in the spot I came in, watching his chest rise and fall slowly as if he was really sleeping. It must really be a sad life for him. About to marry the woman of his dreams, and then it all ends within a flash and before you know it, he's dead and he can't move on. I slowly walked towards his side of the bed. My feet controlled me. I didn't want to go near him, he's a ghost! But I couldn't stop myself from going closer and closer to him. Once I stood right beside his lied down body, he opened his eyes and looked at me.

"I'm so tired," he cried. Taemin broke down right in front of me and started to sob continuously into his hands that covered his eyes. This was honestly the saddest thing I've ever seen. I pitied him so much. I can't imagine how much this guy has gone through. 

Without even realizing it, my hand was already on top of his brown, soft hair. I him slowly and his cries started to slow down. He calmed down after a few more seconds until I could clearly see his red eyes that looked back at me.

"Please help me," he whispered with a shaky breath. I had to help him because what more could I do? Yeah, I don't know him at all, but it's not everyday you see a ghost who needs your help.

"How?" I asked him, retrieving my hand from his head. "What makes you think I can help you?" Taemin shot up from the bed and I took a step back, surprised from his sudden move. He spun towards me and rest his feet on the floor while sitting straight up. Our eyes met again before he answered me.

"The street you first saw me on was where I died. After that, I was never able to leave that street. For 30 years, I walked back and forth, back and forth on the same sidewalk," he said as he used his fingers to play with his tie that was still perfectly tied around his collar. He twirled the end between his long fingers. My eyes landed onto his middle finger that still had the engagement ring on. He was still waiting to get married. He was still waiting for her.

"But then," he continued as he stopped twirling his neck tie, "one day, you appeared." He smiled once he said that and looked down at his tie. "It was weird at first because for once in three decades, I felt hope."

"Hope?" I asked him, wondering what he meant by the word.

"Yes, 'hope'. When I first saw you, I felt like there was something telling me inside that you were my way out. I had never had any hope of leaving this world before." Taemin began to untie his neck tie. "And of course, since I had never seen you before, I decided to ignore it at first." Then he smiled at his tie. "But all of that doubt went away within a blink of an eye when I noticed you looking at my ring."

"Your ring?" I questioned. What ring was he talking about?

"Yes, my ring. The one inside of the jewelry store." 

I froze staring at him with alarmed eyes. That's why he was in all of my photos that I took of that ring. That's why we have a connection now. The one ring out of a thousand that caught my eye was his. But maybe it was just a coincidence, right?

"I know this is very sudden for you, but believe me when I say this is fate," Taemin said in a matter-of-fact tone as he took off his untied tie and laid it beside him on the bed.

"Taemin, don't jump to conclusions, please. I just met you. You're a ghost. How could meeting you be 'fate'?" I said flustered. Taemin let out a light laugh as he rested his posture and sighed before he laughed again. 

"What are you laughing at?" I asked, in a more of a demanding voice while furrowing my eyebrows. What's so funny?

"Weren't you listening to me? Ever since I died, I haven't been able to leave Meadow Street," he smiled as he looked at his tie. Then he faced me again. "I followed you home. And now I'm here in a room that belonged to me before I died that's blocks away from that street."

 

Taemin was right. This isn't just a bunch of coincidences happening out of nowhere. We really were fated to meet each other.