Three

No Absolute Way

JaeEun's POV:

We caught a bus that was heading straight for Meadow Lane. There was only JongIn, some old lady, a few pre-teens, and I on the bus. Usually the busses are crowded during this time of the day, so why are there only a few people here? As usual, JongIn and I sat next to each other. He sat by the window and I sat on the outside seat.

"So, what flavor ice-cream do you want?" he asked, turning to me with a polite smile like always.

"Hmm. Do you really need to ask?" I asked him, while making an are-you-serious face. He shook his head giggling.

"Okay, okay. One butter pecan coming right up!" he said as if he was actually working at the ice-cream parlor. He pretended to open the imaginary glass case that contained all types of flavors, and pretended to scoop 'butter pecan'. "Cone or bowl?" he asked me raising an eyebrow.

"Cone," I replied, scoffing at his childish ways. He nodded before he pretended to pick up an imaginary cone and placed my ice-cream inside. He handed it out to me (which was nothing more than thin air), but then stopped for a second and pulled my 'ice-cream' back.

"That will be 2775 won ($2.50), please," he told me, holding his hand out. Does he really think he's selling me ice-cream? I couldn't help but laugh as I 'handed' him the amount of money he needed. He chuckled as he gladly handed me my order.

"Thanks," I said and ruffled his hair. He shook his hands like he was embarrassed and faced front forwards again. I pretended to it. "Mmm~ It tastes so good! Do you want some?" I asked him as I extended my arm in front of his face. He faced me and smiled before he stuck his tongue out so he could try my ice-cream. Before he '' it, I quickly pulled it back in the speed of light. "Not~"

"Aish, just when I thought you were finally becoming nice," he tsked shaking his head. I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

"Hey! I can be nice if I wanted to-" I was cut off once the bus suddenly halted to a stop. We sat quietly until I notified JongIn that this was our stop. We headed out one by one. Once my feet touched the ground, a cool breeze flew by, blowing my hair in the wind. It suddenly became a whole lot chillier than usual. I shivered because my legs bare since I was still dressed in my school uniform; a high skirt with a dress shirt and a blazer.

JongIn came behind me and rested his hand on my shoulder and the other in his pocket. I turned around to face him. His hair was flying across his face as he stared into the sky. He squinted a little because the bright shining sun was still above us, yet it didn't help keep us warm enough. Why is it so cold? It's summer.

Then, JongIn looked down to meet my eyes. "Do you still want ice-cream?" he asked. "It seems too cold for that now," he said as he stared ahead. Something must've caught his eye because he seemed to narrow his eyes at whatever was in front of me. I nodded in agreement about the temperature dropping. I turned around to face whatever he was staring at. All i could see was a long, narrow street. There were various types of different stores lined up on both sides of the street.

I looked back at JongIn with arms crossed. "What are you looking at?" I asked him. Nothing here seemed special to me. Instead of using his mouth to respond, he used his finger. He extended his arm over my shoulder and pointed straight across. i turned round to see what he was pointed at. It looked like... a jewelry store based on the store's name, "K.Chul's Rings." A ring shop?

"A ring shop?" I asked aloud. 

"No, no, no, no," JongIn repeated as he pushed me to the side and ran up to the store. I stumbled a little from the push. He stood in front of doors amazed and looked up to see the sign that read "K.Chul's Rings" He extended his arms like he was about to hug it. "This is it!" he shouted to me.

I ran up to him, holding onto my backpack that had all of my school supplies and my camera tightly. "What's 'it'?" I asked. He turned to me and pointed at the door.

"This is the ring shop where that.. that.. TaeMin guy went to before he died," he paused and rested his fingers on his chin, thinking deeply, before turning around and scanned the road with his eyes. He pointed at one specific spot excitedly. "He must've died right there!" he shouted. He sounded like he just saw Santa creeping down his chimney or something. 

"When did dying become so cool?" I asked him. He smiled brightly at me flashing his smile. I swear, his teeth could've blinded me right there.

"You don't get it, do you? The guy who haunts these streets died right there," he told me. Haunts? Hah. What a lie. I decided to change the subject as he tried opening the door to the shop.

"Can we just go somewhere else?" I asked him while tugging onto his school blazer, pouting slightly.

"It's locked," he said, ignoring my question. I sighed, realizing that he wasn't going to listen to me. I decided to scan the street of Meadow Lane. There weren't many people here, at all. I only saw an old woman wearing a tattered apron sweeping the floors in front of one of the other shops, a couple of teenagers hanging out at a store that seems to be the ice-cream parlor, a young man walking along the streets wearing a tuxedo, and a mother and her child holding a couple of plastic bags filled with items that must be food. 

I ignored basically everyone and walked to the side of the ring shop. There was a large glass window displaying many different types of rings. I intertwined my fingers behind my back as I leaned forward to get a better view of all of the small little details on these rings. One of the rings sparkled on the corner of my eye for some reason. I turned to the ring all the way in the last row. It sparkled for some reason. probably because the sunlight's rays were touching the glass. However, nothing else seemed to be shining as bright as this one ring.

This one ring seemed actually unique. It had small diamond rhinestones around the edges and had one diamond in the middle that seemed to be bigger than the rest. I couldn't help myself but pull out my camera. I uncapped the lid that sealed the lens. I turned it on and waited until  my camera's screen lit up. I crouched down to meet eye level with the rings and focused it back on that very ring. The glare from the glass window wasn't helping at all. 

"Aigoo," I growled as I grew frustrated. I tried everything to get the glare out of the picture, but it didn't work. I stood up straight and ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. I tried again and again. My picture would look very unprofessional if I didn't get that stupid glare out. In the picture, you could see the reflection of me and the lens of my camera and everything behind me. I started taking hundreds of pictures, hoping for the best that in one of these photos the glare wouldn't be in it. I want my picture of this ring to be perfect.

Suddenly, Kai tapped me on the shoulder.

"What?!" I shouted in anger and stomped my foot. This damn glare was beyond annoying to me now.  

"Woah, woah, woah," he said as he backed away from me with his hands raised in the air, like he was trying to prove himself innocent. I sighed deeply.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. I ruffled my hair before saying, "It's just that this glare is making me angry." JongIn looked at me confused, but then after a couple of seconds, he understood. 

"Ah," he said. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder as he began to walk, making me walk beside his side. "You know, why don't we just go get that ice-cream now?" he said; not much of a question. 

"Ice-cream? Now? JongIn, it's too cold for that now," I explained as I crossed my arms across my chest.

"Why do you keep complaining about everything? Aish! Let's just go take those pictures you were ordered now," he told me. "Hurry."

 

 

He explained to me what the person who ordered wanted me to take pictures of. I was suppose to take pictures of just everything in Meadow Lane. From stores, to trees, to cars, to stoplights. Just about everything. I did as what I was told. They wanted a mysterious effect so I changed the settings to 'black & white'. Once I finished the job, JongIn rewarded me with a high-five. 

"Good job, JaeJae," he told me, proudly. I nodded in a response. 

We caught the next bus, without those ice-creams we were suppose to get, and rode home. It was about 7 p.m. now. Everything we did took us 3 hours. This time, I sat by the window, and JongIn sat on the outside seat. We sat up front this time behind the driver's seat.

"Aw, we missed dinner," JongIn complained.

"We can just go eat at my house," I suggested, shrugging. I actually wasn't that hungry right now.

"Hmm. Let's just go eat at my house. My dad probably cooked something delicious again," he told me. I shrugged again. Not really caring where we ate. But, I have to admit, JongIn's dad is really quite a chef. I mean, he cooks things that you would only find in 5-star restaurants. His food is absolutely delicious.

 

While we rode home, JongIn took out his phone and started texting his other friends. Meanwhile, I decided to look through my pictures. I took out my camera from by backpack and my camera and looked through the gallery. The pictures I took looked really good, to be honest. The scenery fitted the 'black & white' mode. It made the effect of changing things into dark and dreary. Finally, without realizing it, I found the pictures of the ring. I took 24 pictures of the same exact ring.

They all had the glare in it. I couldn't believe it. As i was about to turn off my camera, I spotted one picture without the white streak across it. I was now excited. I clicked on it and focused on all of the little details. I saw the little diamonds on it and everythi--

 

 

 

 

 

There was a young man in the background. He was blocking the sunlight. That's why this picture didn't have a glare. i could still see the reflection of my camera's lens. The man was wearing a tuxedo. It was that same guy I saw walking around awhile ago! But... why is he in the picture. 

 

He's standing so close to me.

 

I went back to the previous photos. He was in all of them. From the first picture till this one, he was getting closer.

 

This was beyond creepy. I didn't see anyone while I was taking these pictures.

 

 

 

Something caught my eye again. I slowly looked outside the window, shaking from horror.

 

 

 

It was that guy again.

 

 

 

 

He was standing there still.

 

 

Before he vanished into thin air.

 

 

 

 

Author's POV:

JaeEun froze. Chills went down her back. She hasn't been this scared in her entire life before. She slowly leaned closer to Kai. She needed someone to hold her. JaeEun rested her head onto his shoulder. Kai flinched from shock. He didn't know what to do, but instead of worrying, he decided to let her lay there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What they didn't know was that the young man took a seat all the way in the back of the bus and decided to follow them home.

 

 

To follow JaeEun home.

 

 

Home.