Paper

A Story of a Complicated Friendship

The club members eventually got out of the pool and ate lunch. Jinhee was still down, but was feeling better after the swim, enough so that she even looked back to normal. They all showered in the many bathrooms in the house, and because the club members were often there, they had a change of clothes already there. Not long after Jinhee had gotten out of the shower, a maid called her to tell her Junhyung and Dongwoon and four other boys were at the door, asking to be let in.

 

“Hey!” Jinhee smiled coming down the stairs and to the waiting area guests waited to be greeted by the hostess of the house. She had a towel around her shoulders, as her hair was still dripping. “You guys made it! Are you hungry?”

 

“Like we would say no to food.” Doojoon laughed.

 

“I’ll bring out snacks, Young Mistress.” A maid bowed and left quickly.

 

“Come on! Everyone is watching TV right now.”

 

“I didn’t expect you to be wearing something like that.” Hyunseung looked at her dress. “You like nice.”

 

“Are you saying she looks like utter crap when she’s not wearing a dress?” Haneul again.

 

“Why do you keep saying those things?! You know what I mean right?” Hyunseung freaked out again. Jinhee sighed and smiled.

 

“Yes, I understand. You think I smell, I look fat, I have bad skin, and I look like crap on a daily basis. I understand. I’m not even human to you. I have no feelings. You must think I’m trash.”

 

“Oh my God! No!” This time he was really freaking out.

 

“Relax, we’re kidding.” Jinhee laughed, patting him on the shoulder. “You’re such an easy target. Thank you for the compliment. I usually leave the house in the morning looking something like this. But then…”

 

“Bugs.” Junhyung, Dongwoon, the club members, and Jinhee chuckled together.

 

“I’m not perpetually dirty, and I have plenty of clean, nice clothes.”

 

“She wears brand names to dig around in dirt or climb trees.” So Eun shook her head at her club president.

 

“I’m not allowed to buy anything else.” Jinhee frowned.

 

“Dongwoon!” Jinhee turned to see a group of maids surround Dong Woon. “It’s been so long! You’ve grown a lot in two years~!”

 

Jinhee narrowed her eyes at them, not noticing that everyone was watching her.

 

“Yes. It has been long. Have you guys been well?” He smiled to them politely. The maids, though they were many years older than him, giggled flirtatiously and nodded.

 

Jinhee cleared loudly and glared at the girls. They quickly dispersed. She turned back to the group, who was smiling mischievously at her.

 

She blushed slightly and had some maids bring in the white board she bought to tutor her club members better. “We’ll go over math first.”

 

The entire night went on with her constantly going over different problems over a wide variety of subjects, even Jin Gyo needed help and he was a grade above her.

 

“Whose cars are these?” Jinhee’s mother asked, coming into the living room that often turned into a study room for Jinhee and her club members. Dongwoon and Junhyung noticeably stiffened at her voice, but everyone was looking at the glamorous woman entering the room instead of them so no one saw.

 

“My classmates. I’m helping them with their classes.”

 

“Oh, Junhyung, Dongwoon, it’s been a long time. Did you get my message?”

 

“I haven’t checked my phone.”

 

“Oh, well I’ll just tell you now. Don’t make plans for this weekend.”

 

“Another business trip?”

 

“No. I set you up on a blind date on Saturday, so don’t make plans to go digging stuff up. He’s starting to take over the family business right now, he’s pretty young. He graduated top of his class at Seoul University. I’ve heard that he’s kind. And I’ll be leaving on a business trip tomorrow night till Monday night, so I need to you go in my place for the Yoon annual banquet Sunday. Please, both nights, no bugs, and don’t talk about bugs either. Just those two nights. Do it for your mother.”

 

“A college graduate CEO going on a date with a high schooler?” Jinhee laughed.

 

“It wouldn’t be this way if you just skipped a few grades like I asked you to.”

 

“I’d still just be 18 years old.” Jinhee countered, grinning.

 

“Yeah, whatever. Will you be going on the date and to the banquet?”

 

“Of course. It’s not like I have a choice.” Jinhee shrugged. “My own mother, already trying to sell me off before I even graduate high school.”

 

“I’ve got to make money on you while you’re still young.” Her mom nodded playfully. “But really, rather than selling you, it’s more like buying him.” She burst out laughing.

 

“That poor kid.” Jinhee shook her head sadly. “You’re going to make him take our family name if it works out aren’t you?”

 

“Yes. We’re ‘AFA’ for Ahn Foundation of Asia; no other last name can run that.  Besides, you’ll be too lazy to remember to get your last name changed anyway.”

 

“You know me too well.” Jinhee cheesed.

 

“I’ll eat dinner and go to bed. Don’t you kids get too loud.”

 

“As if you could hear us here from your area of the house.” Jinhee rolled her eyes.

 

“I figured it would be appropriate to say. Don’t mothers say that on TV?”

 

“You’re so busy, yet you watch so much TV.” Jinhee shook her head at her mother, who laughed and left the room.

 

“Your mom is actually really cool.” KiKwang finally spoke up.

 

“I was expecting some dragon lady…” Doojoon nodded.

 

“I know right!” Jinhee grinned. “I met some of my mother’s friends; they’re mean and strict on their kids!”

 

“Their kids aren’t as smart as you.” Junhyung chuckled. “You knew how to play your parents since you were four, and they knew it.”

 

“And aside from the bugs, you’re a good daughter to your parents.” Dongwoon sighed.

 

“I try to do my best.” Jinhee smiled. “Jin Gyo, we were talking about physics right?”

 

“Yeah.” And so the tutoring continued late into the night when finally everyone was too tired.

 

Jinhee called her family chauffeurs to drive the students without cars home, but held Dongwoon back when everyone else was leaving.

 

“I’m sorry.” They both said at the same time.

 

“You don’t need to be sorry.” They said together again.

 

“I shouldn’t have yelled at you.” Again together.

 

“Stop it.” When they said this together again, they kept quiet and held out fists, to start playing Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who goes first in talking. He knew her too well and ended up winning with a paper to beat her rock.

 

“I’m sorry I was yelling at you about not taking care of yourself. I know you don’t like people getting hurt if it’s because of you. I know it’s not my place to worry about you anymore.”

 

“I’m sorry I yelled at you for something that happened two years ago. It was unnecessary.”

 

“Forgiven?” They asked at the same time and laughed at themselves and nodded at the same time.

 

 


Author's Note

 

Yeah, their relationship is definitely complicated. By the way, just letting you know, even though they've forgiven each other for the words they said, the underlying issues between them are always going to be present.

 

And I finally made a decision on the character coming into the story. I debated between many of the Mblaq members until I finally thought about this guy. But he's perfect for the role.

 

Sorry for the short chappie, but I wasn't particularly inspired for this scene.

 

Random Question Time:

 

What's your favorite animal?

 

Thanks so much for reading! Please comment and tell me what's up!