Jins

A Story of a Complicated Friendship

“Hey…” Doojoon nudged Jinhee in the car ride over to the restaurant to meet her cousins after having saved Yoseob’s kidnapped cousin.

 

“Hm?”

 

“What did Dongwoon say to you a while ago?”

 

“Just some things. Nothing big.”

 

“Okay.” He nodded, accepting her answer. “Are you tired?” He asked after she yawned. She nodded, and he pulled her into him, “Rest. You need it. You look like you haven’t had a proper night’s sleep in a long time.”

 

She chuckled, already closing her eyes, “Are you telling me I’m ugly and tired?” She liked that he was really warm, like Dongwoon.

 

“Nope, you’re pretty and tired, which makes you only slightly less pretty than usual.” He smiled, rolling his eyes.

 

“Aw shucks. You’re making me blush.”

 

“As if.” He scoffed.

 

“Are they dating?” Haeyeon asked Junhyung in a whisper. “I thought she and Dongwoon were something.”

 

“I honestly don’t even know anymore.” He shook his head, completely left out of the loop.

 

“So where’s Jong Hyun been?”

 

“We text, but he hasn’t asked to see me…”

 

“Is it because of people think we’re dating?” By people, Doojoon meant their people, the rich aristocratic people.

 

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask.”

 

“Isn’t he supposed to be marriage material?”

 

“I guess.”

 

“Who’s that guy? So she’s not seeing Doojoon then?” Haeyeon asked Junhyung again.

 

“I really wish I could tell you.” He sighed.

 

“Why don’t you ask him out?”

 

“Should I?”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Hmm, I guess I will later.” She nodded.

 

“Bring your favorite beetle too!”

 

“To a restaurant?”

 

“Yeah, maybe that’s not a good idea. A picture?”

 

“That might make me a creepier version of a cat lady.”

 

“You’re right. There’s no good way to incorporate your interests in a date is there?”

 

“Not one that is appropriate for a first official date.”

 

“Feed him? Like chocolate covered ants or crickets?”

 

“I like bugs, love them, but even I draw the line at putting them in my mouth.”

 

“Really? You never tried it? It wasn’t that bad actually.”

 

“Don’t tell me it ‘tastes like chicken,’ because I’ll never believe you.”

 

“It doesn’t. It didn’t taste good, but it didn’t taste bad either.”

 

“Why were you eating them anyway?”

 

“Curiosity.” He laughed. “Plus I wanted to see what my parents would do if they saw me eating it. I got in trouble.”

 

“Of course you did. Your esteemed mother would not tolerate such a scandalous diet from her second son!” She said in mock disdain.

 

“Because we are Yoons, and Yoons eat real food! Does your mom care about what you eat or do?”

 

“Of course she does. Both of my parents are overly concerned with me. I’m their only daughter, and I’m going to a school that they think is dangerous. They obsess about how much training I get, and does it balance out with a typical enough high school life so I won’t feel like I missed something.  They obsess if I play with poisonous things or not. I’m not allowed to chop off my hair for convenience, because it’s not attractive or commanding enough. Am I getting fat, am I getting skinny? Am I too short? Why aren’t I taller? Am I safe? Should I really do all the things I do? How are the thread counts on my sheets? What kind of music do I like? Why don’t I like chocolate? How long are my toe nails?”

 

“Seriously, you are really short.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“But you’re cute!”

 

“Shut up. I’m commanding.”

 

“I just want to put you in my pocket.”

 

“I’ll kill you.”

 

“You’re secretly a smurf aren’t you?”

 

“Do you want to die?”

 

“Do you even pass the minimal height requirement to not be considered a dwarf?”

 

"I'll cut you to pieces and feed you to carnivorous Hawaiian Caterpillers. I swear it."

 

"I bet you can't get on any rides at the park can you?"

 

“Burn in hell.”

 

“As if you wouldn’t be there with me.” He scoffed.

 

“I plan on making the devil my .” She grinned.

 

“Not if I get to him first.”

 

“Please! You wish you were bad enough to get him to bow to you first.”

 

“He’d laugh at a shrimp like you.”

 

“Ugh!” Jinhee gave in and punched his arm angrily. He laughed and rubbed his arm.

 

“You hit surprisingly hard.”

 

“Die.”

 

“We’ve arrived young mistress.” The driver called out from the front.

 

They all got out from the van, with Yoseob ‘accidentally’ hitting Junhyung. Jinhee and Doojoon were no longer arguing about height and were back to joking about one thing or another.

 

“Young Mistress!” The entire restaurant staff bowed to her respectfully when she arrived.

 

“Hello. Is the room ready?”

 

“Yes Young Mistress.” And the group was led to the second floor of the restaurant.

 

“Whoa! This place is nice.” Hae Yeon gawked at the surroundings.

 

“This is the twins’ favorite restaurant. We go here every time they’re back in town like a tradition of sorts.”

 

“You’ve done too much for us already. We can’t accept an expensive meal either.” Yoseob sighed.

 

“Don’t be ridiculous. Consider you eating with us as a repayment.”

 

“How the hell am I supposed to think that?”

 

“Dunno. Just do it?” She shrugged.

 

“She hates eating alone, the more people with her, the better.” Dongwoon pushed his friend forward. “Stop fighting it, or she’ll convince you this entire meal was your idea.”

 

“It’d be wise to listen to him.” She heard one of the twins enter the room.

 

“We’re rational people, but even we get fooled by that freak.” Her sister entered the room, grinning.

 

“So you actually have friends now?” The first twin smirked.

 

“We don’t take requests to solve cases, especially if we’re on a plane, but when we heard it was for a friend of Jinhee’s, we couldn’t refuse.”

 

“She might have turned us into a murder case if we did.” Her sister rolled her eyes.

 

The twins were short girls, not as short as Jinhee, but still pretty short. They had shoulder length light brown hair and were dressed in their usual professional detective attire. They looked identical to each other.

 

“Jinsoo, Jinyoung, was the flight to your liking? I heard you got a new pilot.” Jinhee grinned, hugging the two girls. They nodded.

 

“So you’re friends with them again?” Jinsoo gestured to Dongwoon and Junhyung.

 

“Have you told her yet?” Jinyoung asked Dongwoon.

 

“Clearly not.” Jinsoo chuckled at his reaction. “Why not?”

 

“He’s scared. That’s stupid.” Her twin scoffed.

 

“I don’t blame him. The main branch is scary.”

 

“I think she’s scarier.”

 

“They’re all scary.”

 

“I still can’t believe our predictions were right. I thought her mother was above all that.”

 

“You’re doing it again.” Jinhee frowned. “Either you tell us what you’re talking about, or shut up.”

 

“Sorry. So, I take it cutie and cutie’s sister over there are the ones we helped? Her eyes are still red, and he looks unsure. By the way, cute friends you got here. Are you making a harem?” Jinyoung winked at Yoseob, who was startled by the forwardness of the action.

 

“You should have told me sooner you had cuties like these in your school! We would have come back to school here immediately!” Jinsoo grinned, looking at KiKwang.

 

“We thought all your school would have to offer is Junhyung and Dongwoon – both of which are off limits according to you.”

 

“She always was touchy about her things.” Jinsoo nodded.

 

“Only when it comes to you two,” Jinhee glared at them. “Everything I lent to you guys came back mangled and broken, so sorry if I wanted to protect them.”

 

“If that’s the case, hands off my baby brother.” Hae Yeon pulled Yoseob behind her protectively.

 

“KiKwangie ah, come here, stay away from them. They’re nice and shiny, but they’re scary girls.” Jinhee and Junhyung coaxed him to stand behind them. “Sorry, I forgot you two were their type, otherwise I wouldn’t have allowed you to come with us.”

 

“These girls are scarier than Jinhee.” Dongwoon whispered to the two shorter boys smiling, “At least Jinhee feels bad after she’s mean to you.”

 

“It’s not like my family has all that many gentle and kind spirits.” Jinhee scoffed.

 

“You have one, but she’s studying in England.” Dongwoon smiled.

 

“Ah yeah, her. She really doesn’t match the rest of us.” Jinsoo laughed.

 

“I liked her.” Jinyoung shrugged.

 

“She was a good girl.” Jinhee nodded.

 

“Didn’t she…? Ah, right… Now I remember why she studies in England.” Jinyoung giggled with her twin. Jinhee subtly admonished them with a glare.

 

“One doesn’t simply try to take something from the formidable Ahn Jinhee and get away with it, even if you are her cousin.”

 

“You sent your cousin away?” Hae Yeon gaped at her.

 

“I did no such thing. I knew she always wanted to study abroad, and learn English. I heard of an interesting opportunity, so I sent it her way and helped her convince her parents to let her go.” Jinhee lied easily.

 

“What did she try to take from you?” Dongwoon asked. Junhyung on the other hand, saw everything that happened back then first hand and had to turn away to laugh.

 

“She didn’t take anything.”

 

“Sometimes, these kids can be so clueless.” Jinsoo sighed.

 

“It only gets worse and worse.” Junhyung nodded.

 

“Shut it.” Jinhee narrowed her eyes at the three.

 

“Young Mistress,” A server entered and the three ‘Jin’s turned and answered.

 

“She means me.” Jinhee rolled her eyes. “What is it?”

 

“The family is here.”

 

“Then why aren’t they already being led here?” Jinyoung scoffed. “Hurry it up. I, the almighty Young Mistress Ahn Jinhee cannot be kept waiting forever as my time is valuable, don’t you know?” Jinyoung grinned.

 

“Was that your impression of me?” Jinhee’s brow twitched in disdain.

 

“Yes, I’ve been practicing it for days. Was it good?”

 

“It was phenomenal.” She said sarcastically.

 

“Oppa!”

 

Everyone turned to look at the family hesitantly coming in.

 

 

 


It's been a while, so just a quick update before I got to leave. Don't expect another update for a while because it's Summer Classes Finals week and my brain will most definitely become mush.

It's what I get ofr not paying attention before.

Thanks for reading, please comment and or subscribe.

Have a great day and week. Until next time ^^